2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Oooh! I wonder if I can sharpen one of the secondaries for push cuts, and one for pull cuts?
Now I kinda wish I'd checked the "sure" option instead of the "notify" option. :confused:
How do you change your sharpening strategy for push or pull cuts? Is it an angle thing? I've been sharpening the same way on all my blades for years. I feel like a fool

How do you change your sharpening strategy for push or pull cuts? Is it an angle thing? I've been sharpening the same way on all my blades for years. I feel like a fool
Guys we are just messing. Not one blade for right handed and one for left or push and pull cuts. We are just having fun. :rolleyes:
I don't know...I was wondering if an asymmetrical grind, if not an actual chisel grind, would shave off curls of wood like a hand plane.
I have a few gardening knives with chisel grinds, but never tried to reprofile an edge that way.

Well I was having fun.:p Full flat grind low degrees. Get rid of those pesky bevels and shave paper thin shavings across the grain.

r8shell r8shell i had a gerber flipper for a minute, before the shoddiness of the build drove it to the back of my nightstand. It had a chisel grind wharnecliffe and it did have a strong effect on shaving off wood. Bevel up tended to turn the knife into the wood and bevel down tended to lift it out. Great knife for beating the tar out of, but made me a firm believer in symmetrical grinds.

I have from a reliable source that the blades are so sharp and pointy after the grind operation before sharpening that the employees are complaining that they keep cutting themselves.

That fact and that it is an unusual configuration leads me to believe that these will never be run again. (How is that wait for the Grinling going?) So in my opinion you should at least pick up a F&F for no other reason it maybe your only chance.
Where can I get a F&F 62?

I guess I am full of Dukey ! I broke down a bought the #62 blue camel and the ironwood #62. Now , I am done with the #62 run. I just know that the #23s will be perfect for me. Stick the #23 between my knees/thighs and open right up with my left thumb. Bill Howard has been reducing pull on big knives in the last year. I always manage to open my gator snap knives regardless.
How do you know about #23s coming out this year? I can't find anywhere that shows what they plan to make this year.

How do you know about #23s coming out this year? I can't find anywhere that shows what they plan to make this year.
A couple clubs have 23s as their club knives this year. Based on timing for the clubs they should be next.

I purchased an ironwood, in addition to the bone pocket carver I have on early reserve. I don’t think I can resist the bar shield on the goldenrod though, something about the center shield just puts the knife in the right proportion. I agree with the above comment, the bomb looks better than the leaf, though the bar looks best of all I think.
Didn’t think I’d get a single knife from this run, now I’m realistically looking at 3.
I swear I’m not addicted, I can quit anytime I want...

Just got my snakewood today and wow just Wow! fantastic job GEC best #62 yet. So good I went and ordered the Ironwood as well to carry! I don't know how there are any of these left on DLT.

Well I was having fun.:p Full flat grind low degrees. Get rid of those pesky bevels and shave paper thin shavings across the grain.

r8shell r8shell ...chisel grind wharnecliffe and it did have a strong effect on shaving off wood. Bevel up tended to turn the knife into the wood and bevel down tended to lift it out. Great knife for beating the tar out of, but made me a firm believer in symmetrical grinds.
Ah, I get it now. I suppose I was overthinking (and yet underthinking) the matter.

Ah, I get it now. I suppose I was overthinking (and yet underthinking) the matter.
Rachel, I think the reason that the wood plane works is because the blade is kept from digging down into the wood by the flat bottom of the plane. And, the wood is pulled away from the blade by the chip breaker on top. Without those, the blade would do exactly as engrsorenson said.

Rachel, I think the reason that the wood plane works is because the blade is kept from digging down into the wood by the flat bottom of the plane. And, the wood is pulled away from the blade by the chip breaker on top. Without those, the blade would do exactly as engrsorenson said.

Unless you are an experienced Yarri kanna user. Not everybody.

0snsvlGh.jpg
BgZh7lth.jpg
fDV7ZSXh.jpg
watch

Dan.

Back