2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Nov 20, 2019.

1. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    I see more than ten !

Dan.

Jiki likes this.
  2. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Ouch.... one slip and it would be seppuku instead of yarri kanna.... I'll stick with my Lie Nielson brass block plane...

[​IMG]

3. ddavis

ddavis Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 17, 2018
    And now I want a Yarri Kanna to go with my pocket carver.
    I swear, if I see something remotely sharp and shiny, immediately I'm thinking “I’ve got to have it!”

Crazy Canuck, HEMI 49, mbkr and 2 others like this.
  4. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  5. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
  6. rockgolfer

rockgolfer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Snakewood for Wednesday :)

[​IMG]

Aryan29, JustinR, budman5 and 12 others like this.
  7. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Thanks Jiki- that means a lot considering what I think of your work. You do fabulous characters.

Jiki likes this.
  8. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Really cool stuff... I like the "captured" stuff, like the ball in the cage, and the chain links, etc... good work. Especially in that medium... was that walnut?

EngrSorenson likes this.
  9. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    I also think this highlights the difference in two different carvers blade preferences. I do mostly characters and such, you doing the "traditional" carving pieces. Would/do have different needs from a blade. I am doing stop cuts and v cuts and 90% of the time push cuts a short straight edge is an optimal tool. Hogging out the inside of a block of wood may call for something different.

10. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Nice work - very impressive! :thumbsup:

If you select "BBCode (message boards & forums)", copy then paste here, we'd get to see them right away. Doesn't hurt that you have knife content in the pics as well. :cool:

EngrSorenson likes this.
  11. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Thanks everyone- had a really crap day at work and this was uplifting!

yeah, that’s walnut. I find it’s more rewarding to make captured pieces in a sturdier material, but really I hate buying wood to whittle with so I just use whatever scraps I have at hand most of the time.

Interestingly enough I don’t think we’re all that different. For planing large flat surfaces of dense wood, as to square up a rough blank, a belly helps reduce the overall contact point on the surface. Aside from that, some hollows or shallow cups are best accomplished with a bellied blade, but i rely on a good straight blade for most things.

haha I uploaded that on the fly and my mobile app doesn’t have that like on my laptop. I’m not computer savvy...

12. AnW

AnW Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2019
    EngrSorenson and wardcleaver like this.
  13. SnackPack

SnackPack

Nov 21, 2019
    Does anyone know if the Goldenrod bone with the bar shield will be widely distributed or is it going to be like the white bone 86’s?

SDknifeguy likes this.
  14. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I also question rumors , so I contacted my dealer about a run of 23"s and he now has me down for one , of what , we don't know yet , but I will go with Stag if there is any .

Harry

15. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Now that is a very cool tool . I would like to try one myself . Thanks very much for the education .

Harry

dantzk8, EngrSorenson and r8shell like this.
  16. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Peregrin and EngrSorenson like this.
  17. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    I've been getting along with the jigged bone 62 the last little while, and have been really excited waiting for the Unicorn Ivory to arrive. Seems I'm always 2 weeks behind everyone else with shipping times :)

It arrived today, and it's just what I was expecting. Has some cool grain/pattern to the acrylic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a complaint because it would be silly of me, but... Mine must have come from a cowardly, lazy unicorn. Not a single Honour Spot to be found! While the other unicorns were out fighting the dark forces of evil, mine was relaxing on the couch, drinking way too much red wine and watching the latest episode of the Bachelor or something :(

Aryan29, GE Jr, CelloDan and 9 others like this.
  18. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Somebody had to stay back and keep the lady unicorns entertained. ;)

EngrSorenson and Crazy Canuck like this.
  19. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Ha! When you put it that way, I bet it was quite the hardship being left behind ;)

EngrSorenson likes this.
  20. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Thank you!

My father and maternal grandfather spent time with me in my early teen years, showing me things in the late 90’s early 2000’s that we can all find with a google search these days. I will happily whittle with a purpose made fixed blade, but the days spent on the porch with a trusty pocket knife will always bring me back to whatever is in my pocket.

I think a #62 pocket carver has my name on it... it’s just too neat to pass up. Truly you can whittle with almost anything, but I appreciate that Mr. Howard had porch sitters in mind for this one.

r8shell likes this.