2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Seeing how these are all simply opinions, I imagine each individual's opinions are equally valid.
I think that many people see whittling as simply cutting away at a stick, maybe making something, maybe simply making a pile of chips and shavings. Carving might simply be "serious" whittling, using various blade shapes and types.
Trying to nail it down might be fun, but it should be just that... done in fun...

and, speaking of whittling/carving... shouldn't the cocobolo pocket carvers be dropping soon? Like, perhaps, tomorrow? I still am anxious to see pictures on the GEC website of a completed F&F carver....

the anticipation builds! Money is burning a hole in my pocket.... :D

and, speaking of whittling/carving... shouldn't the cocobolo pocket carvers be dropping soon? Like, perhaps, tomorrow? I still am anxious to see pictures on the GEC website of a completed F&F carver....

the anticipation builds! Money is burning a hole in my pocket.... :D
And the F&F should follow right behind.

Hopefully they'll make a few in roadkill skunk acrylic complete with smell so those of us that buy for blades instead of covers will get a crack at them.

Very interesting, on one hand you want whittling to be this free organic thing. On the other you want to immediately add rules to it, you must use this tool and no other.

Interesting indeed.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider the difference between whittling and carving? if there is none for you than this discussion is ended before it began.

also, is it important to you to consider what you do ”whittling” as opposed to “carving”? I think my opinion regarding whittling has been very reasonable, at least logically- I’m not surprised you disagree, this is one of those debates that has a lot of voices, but I’m surprised you see it as hypocritical. Would you then allow power tools into your idea of “whittling”?

Everyone just go buy a #62 pocket carver as fast as you can so that Mr. Howard is made aware of the desire for more of this kind of creativity. It’s a great one and really fills a niche that hasn’t been well addressed. I’m concerned for my own well-being that I might be trying to get a cocobolo version.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider the difference between whittling and carving? if there is none for you than this discussion is ended before it began.
I already stated this, however I will complete the thought. Whittling is carving for entertainment. Carving stops being whittling when it becomes purpose driven in my book.
wqQy56X.jpg

I whittled one Christmas ornament to entertain myself. I then carved fifty Christmas ornaments to give as gifts. I used a band saw to rough out both projects, I bought all of the wood, and I used a pencil.

I already stated this, however I will complete the thought. Whittling is carving for entertainment. Carving stops being whittling when it becomes purpose driven in my book.
I whittled one Christmas ornament to entertain myself. I then carved fifty Christmas ornaments to give as gifts. I used a band saw to rough out both projects, I bought all of the wood, and I used a pencil.

So there’s no difference for you in tools or method? A guy carving with a chainsaw for his own entertainment is whittling?o_O

Not that Wikipedia is the end-all-be-all, but for fun I just looked it up and found the following which happens to be the point I’ve been trying to make.

“Occasionally the terms "whittling" and "carving" are used interchangeably, but they are different arts. Carving employs the use of chisels, gouges, with or without a mallet, while whittling involves only the use of a knife.”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittling#Background_of_whittling

But what do I know? I’m just a guy who does a thing and says some stuff to some people. :p:D;)

The term “pocket carver” is perfect in my book because whittling is carving, but not all carving is whittling. It’s one of those “squares vs rectangles” things.

and if I still haven’t convinced you, I’ll just say we can agree to disagree and we’ll maintain a shared bond in the appreciation of the #62 PC and removal of wood with sharp metal.:thumbsup:

DLT dropped some white bone pocket carvers. Had to grab one.

Jiki Jiki love your whittling (thanks for the Christmas trees) and definition, whittling is carving for entertainment. Whittling simple ball in a box projects taught me the joy of creation enjoyed by artists using any media.

Last edited:
You know the one thing that surprised me about the #62 frame? The back spring looks almost flat, but in the hand you can feel a definite curve.

Back