2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

I've seen example after example of exceptional Stag on this 62 run, it is hard for me to pick one over the other. I am quite pleased with mine and really wouldn't trade it for any other - there are subtleties to it that I simply cannot capture on camera.

That said, you've managed to score some of the best and it's a real pleasure to see you add that to your incredible collection, Harry.
I'd be tremendously happy with that one, dark and gnarly - just the way I like it.
Amazing example! The Stag on this run truly is exceptional.
Thank you very much Dylan . I am very happy with it .
Those Subtleties that you are talking about are what we all like about Stag . There are not 2 Stag Handled knives that are Exactly Alike .

Harry

Family picture time
p9YQOnI.jpg

Neat! I'm amazed at how close the blades are. I thought with the two springs that this would be thicker. But it appears to be exactly the same width as the normal models, with those having one thicker spring and a spacer/liner.

Love that we get a button and also a special tube label.

View attachment 1299590
Those buttons really do make it little bit more special!

DLT just sold a "SNAKEWOOD" #62 Easy Pocket Congress. That was unexpected. I love my #62 Snakewood. I have to be really careful with any Congress style knife. Two blades , three blades or four , a Congress style knife loves to bite me.

Last edited:
Got the final member of my modest 62 collection in today. I mostly acquired a Pocket Carver because the design had me curious. I still don't know what sort of role it might play in my collection quite yet as I'm not a whittler (not yet, anyway...).

All that said, it is a remarkably well built knife and I'm pleased that I can experience it.

2L9AERW.jpg

The family, all together. I've been very pleased with these 62s - exceptional knives, a job very well done by GEC.

JvhGThM.jpg

Got my Smooth Bone Carver last night. Now only two more left to play the waiting/grab fast game with -- a Cocobolo and a F+F micarta.

DLT just sold a "SNAKEWOOD" #62 Easy Pocket Congress. That was unexpected. I love my #62 Snakewood. I have to be really careful with any Congress style knife. Two blades , three blades or four , a Congress style knife loves to bite me.
Yes, I believe they did. My wife liked those the best.

I can’t get over how beautiful my stag is. This is probably the most enamoured I’ve ever been with a knife. Just a beautiful rendition of the 62. Definitely something I will be proud to pass down to my son one day. Great job GEC!

...I still don't know what sort of role it might play in my collection quite yet as I'm not a whittler (not yet, anyway...).

All that said, it is a remarkably well built knife and I'm pleased that I can experience it.

I’m convinced one of the reasons I enjoy whittling so much is because it gives me more time to appreciate and use my knives. You don’t have to do more than peel a stick bare, make a tooth pick or chopsticks, or even just make a pointy marshmallow stick.

GECs are reasonably sharp from the factory, but for the best experience I recommend putting a keen edge on the one you’re going to carve with. (This also gives the user satisfaction of enjoying a good sharpening job!)

I encourage everyone who carries a knife to whittle. It’s fun, instructive on the rudiments of working with wood, and at the end you have a trinket and a lot of curly shavings.

the #62 Pocket Carver has a main blade that is about the same size as the Pemberton’s Wharnecliffe. I’ve found this to be small but good enough for a Pemberton to be a carry knife. I think that makes the #62 a decent gentleman’s knife, with a VERY stout primary. I fear people will overlook it as an everyday carry because it bears the name “Carver” or perhaps seems a bit short in the main blade, or maybe doesn’t have a bellied blade.

Only about 250 of so posts away from having as many as the 93 Ramsfoot. Which was extremely popular.
I wonder what the production number comparison is. I ended up with two hard-fought #93’s, but there’s still plenty of #62’s out there.

I’m glad to see there is some stock available to John Q. Public. It’s important to keep building a fan base and knives like the #92 Eureka and #62 Easy-Pocket Congress are sure to change some lives.

Back