2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

I wonder what the production number comparison is. I ended up with two hard-fought #93’s, but there’s still plenty of #62’s out there.

I’m glad to see there is some stock available to John Q. Public. It’s important to keep building a fan base and knives like the #92 Eureka and #62 Easy-Pocket Congress are sure to change some lives.

I don't think the 93 sold out simply because of production numbers. It was a new well executed design with lots of popular covers. I know a several people that weren't really into traditionals that got a Ramsfoot, more than one actually.so I'd say they grew their fanbase pretty well with that one. Thats not even including the popularity of Charlies knives.

Regardless, the easy pocket Congress still has some in stock, and there are almost as many posts discussing it. I thought that was quite interesting since there wasn't as much buzz or as many people thats seem to have tried to get several covers in the pattern as the 93.

I t
Got the final member of my modest 62 collection in today. I mostly acquired a Pocket Carver because the design had me curious. I still don't know what sort of role it might play in my collection quite yet as I'm not a whittler (not yet, anyway...).

All that said, it is a remarkably well built knife and I'm pleased that I can experience it.

2L9AERW.jpg

The family, all together. I've been very pleased with these 62s - exceptional knives, a job very well done by GEC.

JvhGThM.jpg
I think that you got the most appealing models to me my friend .

Harry

I don't think the 93 sold out simply because of production numbers. It was a new well executed design with lots of popular covers. I know a several people that weren't really into traditionals that got a Ramsfoot, more than one actually.so I'd say they grew their fanbase pretty well with that one. Thats not even including the popularity of Charlies knives.

Regardless, the easy pocket Congress still has some in stock, and there are almost as many posts discussing it. I thought that was quite interesting since there wasn't as much buzz or as many people thats seem to have tried to get several covers in the pattern as the 93.
I agree with you on the # 93 Ramsfoot. One of my Grandsons saw a 93 Ramsfoot and immediately wanted one . It sure changed him into also wanting one of the Forum knives . We need to get more young folks into Traditionals .

Harry

I got my Carver yesterday and would have to say I'm a little disappointed with the W&T of both secondaries. Weak springs and very sluggish with next to no snap. I'm sure it could be improved some with a good flushing but wondering if it should be returned. The main blade action is good, and I'm satisfied with everything else concerning the knife.
I'm loving the action on my 62 Goldenrod.

I haven't heard anyone discuss the Carver secondary blade pulls in this thread, but I'd like to hear about yours.
Thanks.

I got my Carver yesterday and would have to say I'm a little disappointed with the W&T of both secondaries. Weak springs and very sluggish with next to no snap. I'm sure it could be improved some with a good flushing but wondering if it should be returned. The main blade action is good, and I'm satisfied with everything else concerning the knife.

I haven't heard anyone discuss the Carver secondary blade pulls in this thread, but I'd like to hear about yours.
Thanks.
The W&T on my Carver's secondaries is nice and snappy. The main blade is awesome too!

Sorry to hear yours isn't quite as lively! :mad: I'll be getting quite a few more of this pattern so I'll keep you posted on the upcoming knives as well. :thumbsup:

Thanks.
I speak about it in post #1456, my initial review. Mine are softer pulls than the main but I expected that. The pile side blade was sluggish to open both were snappy to close. After a good flushing and 10 days of use it has improved dramatically.

I'm not going to tell you what is happening with your knife only you can know, not tell you what to do with it only you can decide. However mine did improve.

The W&T on my Carver's secondaries is nice and snappy. The main blade is awesome too!

Sorry to hear yours isn't quite as lively! :mad: I'll be getting quite a few more of this pattern so I'll keep you posted on the upcoming knives as well. :thumbsup:
Thanks for your report. I hate you. :D Please keep us informed.
I speak about it in post #1456, my initial review. Mine are softer pulls than the main but I expected that. The pile side blade was sluggish to open both were snappy to close. After a good flushing and 10 days of use it has improved dramatically.

I'm not going to tell you what is happening with your knife only you can know, not tell you what to do with it only you can decide. However mine did improve.
I thought I read something about the pulls on the carver, and seemed to remember that you got yours 1st but I only scrolled back to your post #1499, and figured that was your initial post and was tired of digging through the old stuff.
I'm far from an expert but could only rate both of mine as less than a 4 and like yours the pile side is a tad weaker. Thanks for the feedback!

PS: Really liked your "french wood "carving.

Thanks.
The secondaries on mine are very snappy with at least a 6 pull, about as hard as I'd want on such short blades.
Sorry yours are sluggish. Do they feel gritty? If so, maybe a flushing would help. If they are smooth but weak, maybe not. :(
Surprise, surprise, surprise!
Just snagged a pocket carver in cocobolo....
Color me pleasantly astonished to get in on the first (I think) drop of these... there were only two left when I ordered mine, so he's down to one....
Congrats. If I didn't already have a white bone, I'd be tempted.

The secondaries on mine are very snappy with at least a 6 pull, about as hard as I'd want on such short blades.
Sorry yours are sluggish. Do they feel gritty? If so, maybe a flushing would help. If they are smooth but weak, maybe not. :(
Right, you wouldn't want too strong of a spring on such a short radiused nick. My blades just feel slow and mushy, a little grabby in spots, with no smooth flow, and next to no snap. Not noticing a gritty feel though. I think youre right...flushing will smooth it out but wont make the spring stronger.
It really bugs me when I'm whittling and maybe cut a little too deep, go to pull the blade back out and it starts folding way too easily :thumbsdown:

I got a feeling mines going back...

Right, you wouldn't want too strong of a spring on such a short radiused nick. My blades just feel slow and mushy, a little grabby in spots, with no smooth flow, and next to no snap. Not noticing a gritty feel though. I think youre right...flushing will smooth it out but wont make the spring stronger.
It really bugs me when I'm whittling and maybe cut a little too deep, go to pull the blade back out and it starts folding way too easily :thumbsdown:

I would absolutely exchange it while the exchangin' is good. :)

One more for the Easy pocket groupies me being one and proud of it :D
Picked up a a Stag from a dealer that not only had pictures but also a actual video of that particular knife. I picked this one out from 9 that they had. Took me hours of clicking on different ones and freeze framing and listening to the snap. It was kind of fun and think I did good as I tried to find one with matching covers but with a little of everything I like .I have to research and see if I can mention the dealer because I’m not sure if there a BF dealer. If anyone knows please chime in :thumbsup:
EDIT:
Thank you MerryMadMonk MerryMadMonk for the clarification and Thank you GP knives for this beautiful knife.
My 62 easy pockets are now complete “I think” ;)
Love this pattern !
WLSSgkE.jpg

9eNiZgE.jpg

KVxw0By.jpg

Last edited:

You’re right that cleaning the joint doesn’t make the spring stronger, but it might make the spring more effective.

I hear you on getting those thin little blades wedged too deep. How you pull out a wedged slip joint blade is to rotate the handle up at the same time as pulling out. This keeps the joint closed as you wiggle the end free.

One more for the Easy pocket groupies me being one and proud of it :D
Picked up a a Stag from a dealer that not only had pictures but also a actual video of that particular knife. I picked this one out from 9 that they had. Took me hours of clicking on different ones and freeze framing and listening to the snap. It was kind of fun and think I did good as I tried to find one with matching covers but with a little of everything I like .I have to research and see if I can mention the dealer because I’m not sure if there a BF dealer. If anyone knows please chime in :thumbsup:
EDIT:
Thank you MerryMadMonk MerryMadMonk for the clarification and Thank you GP knives for this beautiful knife.
My 62 easy pockets are now complete “I think” ;)
Love this pattern !
WLSSgkE.jpg

9eNiZgE.jpg

KVxw0By.jpg

Overcome with ENVY :eek::D:D:thumbsup: No Stags for me overseas, didn't think I stood a chance of obtaining one, seen some fine examples on this thread though :)

The Goldenrod Camel will be taking the strain of EDC duties while the other two luxuriate in obscurity:D:D

A8lGk0g.jpg

Back