2020 GEC #74 Mustang Thread

What traditional pattern would you say this 74 mustang is styled after?

In line with this, please post threads concerning your experience with vendors (both good and bad) in the "Feedback" section of the website.

Last edited:
(theoretically) OK, we are scheduling a new re-run of an old pattern - how many would you make total?
I don't mind 200 pieces per choice. I would like to see 8 different choices instead of 4. 1600 total pieces of the #74 Mustang run ! I am still not giving up on a Saddle Trapper run. "THINGS TO PONDER ??"CLUE: The horse painting had an empty saddle. Saddle Trapper was the first thing that come to mind , not a "Mustang" run. GEC has not produced a new model this year and time is running out. After the "Little Rattler" run is finished up , maybe an 800 total pieces of #74 Saddle Trappers will be made ????

I don't mind 200 pieces per choice. I would like to see 8 different choices instead of 4. 1600 total pieces of the #74 Mustang run ! I am still not giving up on a Saddle Trapper run. "THINGS TO PONDER ??"CLUE: The horse painting had an empty saddle. Saddle Trapper was the first thing that come to mind , not a "Mustang" run. GEC has not produced a new model this year and time is running out. After the "Little Rattler" run is finished up , maybe an 800 total pieces of #74 Saddle Trappers will be made ????

OK, so you would like closer to one full month per pattern? I would argue that more choice is just of nominal assistance to those wanted more opportunity to score ONE knife. As many will buy them all, whether two or four.

As to the rest of your post - I think you have a much more "vivid" imagination than the factory does. How many times in the past 5 years have they had a completely un-announced pattern?

I agree with your thoughts on more covers options.

What I have come to realize from reading Mike’s posts is there is a lot we don’t know here on the porch.

Plus, 2020 has been an absolute disaster on companies. I feel lucky to even have knives available and money to purchase some. On Facebook the complaints are ramping up as folks can’t get a 74.

My vote is for WOOD!!!

The black plum jigged bone was a real treat though.

Regardless of anyone’s feelings on quantity, it should be noted that the four options of this run are absolutely stellar. The combinations Bill and GEC put together are all beautiful. I’m excited to see what is coming in the future. Thanks also to Mike for being so active and available on the forum.

Hopefully the limited production numbers is only temporary, and GEC starts increasing production in the near future.

Last edited:
GEC can and will continue to do what they want, not what we want. It's curious that folks get so indignant about it.

Damned if you do; damned if you don't. GEC made a few Beer Scouts and people made fun of them. Then they started getting a following; and people chastised the factory for making so few. The complaining went on long enough that the factory had another run that took nearly 3 months to produce. Then people complained that they flooded the market and destroyed the value of the pattern. Now they are again complaining because the factory didn't make enough Beer Scouts because the secondary price is too high.

The #97 looked like it was going to be a booming success. And it was an open order production run - which means the factory took dealers orders and produced to the number. So, I thought to myself that I am not going to take a chance on not having enough to supply those customers that want one of these. Now I am still sitting on 5 digits worth of inventory of #97's - 18 months later. Find the perfect production amount for the factory and inventory amount for the dealer is a complicated algorithm that must be calculated by the person risking their money, and their livelihood. Setting production numbers by those that want a knife to be easy to acquire; and that is the end of their interest - seems a bit volatile.

But if easy to get GEC's is the goal - I have #97's, #38's, #15's (with chain), etc. Come and get them. I took a risk on them, just like I take a risk on the runs that ended up being hard to keep in stock.

Great points Mike! I’ve tried to not complain on here since I posted a rant about the last 33 run. I’ve even considered ending my collecting of GEC’s.

I think it’s a major case of “you want what you can’t have”. People get hyped up on social media with pics and videos of these knives and then BAM! They find out a knife drop is gone in 3 minutes.

They don’t want a pattern that’s been sitting on the shelf......they want the HOT pattern people are talking about.

Great points Mike! I’ve tried to not complain on here since I posted a rant about the last 33 run. I’ve even considered ending my collecting of GEC’s.

I think it’s a major case of “you want what you can’t have”. People get hyped up on social media with pics and videos of these knives and then BAM! They find out a knife drop is gone in 3 minutes.

They don’t want a pattern that’s been sitting on the shelf......they want the HOT pattern people are talking about.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The world has generally stopped looking at issues from all angles and are content to approach the conversation from their point of view only. Not just knives - everything.

I'm surprised at the response these are getting, I just remember when the 43 came out in 2018 they didn't seem quite as popular, which I suppose the smaller run combined with the smaller more pocket friendly size might be the reason, but still. Anyone got a picture of a 74 vs a 43? I can't remember the measurements off the top of my head, what is it 4 1/4 and 3 7/8 ?

Here ya go.

eLq59Lp.jpg

yIRTtu2.jpg

And yes, they’re 4 1/4” and 3 7/8” closed.

OK, so you would like closer to one full month per pattern? I would argue that more choice is just of nominal assistance to those wanted more opportunity to score ONE knife. As many will buy them all, whether two or four.

As to the rest of your post - I think you have a much more "vivid" imagination than the factory does. How many times in the past 5 years have they had a completely un-announced pattern?
How about the two GEC#06 Templar #061119 in Caribbean Acrylic & Crusader acrylic ? Those two knives were a complete surprise and they were never announce on the #06 Templar schedule. No Templar Schedule was ever posted. Beside those , you are correct. 2020 is a whacky year , anything can happen.

Back