2020 GEC #74 Mustang Thread

“I don’t know how these guys do it.“
For me some of it is luck and figuring out how certain dealers post their drops and working their system to my advantage. The other is developing a relationship with a dealer who has a preorder list and is kind enough to put you on it. The later is how I was able to purchase the burlap 74 and that was the only choice he offered me. I’m on his list for the red #19 and am happy to be there even though I’d prefer a stag but beggars can’t be choosers. Good luck in your search for one. :thumbsup:
You have a kind dealer. I reached out to a few and they said the run was too small for them to offer reserves; only notifications. That’s fair. I was too late for Mike’s early reserve. I’ve been fortunate to score an older stainless mustang and have been trying to help another BF member score his first. That makes the hunt more enjoyable, to be quite honest.

I was able to get a plum bone off Mikes standby. Also holding out hope for a stag, which is the one I really want of the lot! I don’t know how it happened, but I’ve taken a big liking to stag as of late. :D

“I don’t know how these guys do it.“
For me some of it is luck and figuring out how certain dealers post their drops and working their system to my advantage. The other is developing a relationship with a dealer who has a preorder list and is kind enough to put you on it. The later is how I was able to purchase the burlap 74 and that was the only choice he offered me. I’m on his list for the red #19 and am happy to be there even though I’d prefer a stag but beggars can’t be choosers. Good luck in your search for one. :thumbsup:
As Onearmbladenut Onearmbladenut would say, "Knife collecting is war."

I figure that there’s gonna be more drops today. With the wife and I working there’s no way I’ll be able to get out and get to my phone in time, which is too bad. It’s kinda frustrating sometimes to have to claw your way to get a GEC, particularly such a fine specimen as the ironwood. They knocked that out of the park. It’s not like I don’t have enough knives- 11 GECs alone should be all I need... but the ironwood is so nice...

"GREAT EASTERN CUTLERY KNIFE COLLECTING IS WAR !" My brown Burlap micarta #74 came in today. I am new to this #74 pattern knife. The #74 opens like butter. I thought it was a custom dress knife , so smooth and nicely made. My dealer saved me a Black Plum #74 that was left over stock. And I paid for an iron wood #74 yesterday. Searching for a Sambar stag #74 next. This run has been tough to score. Repairs to the house is done for now. My knives are spread out over my spare bed again. 200 mixed knives to play with and oil. I am getting close to the GEC 100 Club. I am taking my time. I wish there were ten different choices on the #74 run , I'd clean up on the ones that a like the most. The #74 does not need a lock-back or liner lock. The perfect GEC medium slip-joint knife has been made. I want a 2020-2021 #74 Saddle Trapper , something awful now.

I was quick/lucky enough to score an ironwood last night, cant wait to get it in hand. Have my first child due later this year, so I think this and the rattler might be my last knife purchases for quite a while.
Congratulations! Having a child is infinitely better than any additional knives. Good luck to you and the mother!

Thank you! I'm sure ill try and sneak one or two in the near future, but its going to be tough to argue that the package coming to the front door is "for the baby"

I got my first GEC within weeks of the birth of my Son back in March of 2018. ;)
Besides, your child is inevitably going to need a knife some day, and you're going to have to test it out to make sure it's a safe and fitting tool for him or her.

.... and I'll go you one further.... having a GRAND child is WAY better than having a child! :D

Haha, my first child also brought on my midlife crisis and anxiety concerning the end of my flesh in this world o_O - I can't bare to consider being a grand parent right now.

You know what? thanks for helping me to put this #74 scramble in perspective :D. (it's easier to relax- my wife's a teacher so she will be checking all day to see if she can find one for me.)

Honey, why did you get 14 cans of coffee in the mail this week?
No reason.
HwIamPt.jpg

Send them to me, I will repack them in "coffee " cans for you.;)

I take back every bad thing I ever said about you, Jiki. That's a kind offer. ... though on further analysis, I'm not sure what the scare quotes are for for on "Coffee"... :D

Honey, why did you get 14 cans of coffee in the mail this week?

Be sure to buy 14 actual cans of coffee to be swapped out with at the earliest convenience. Mrs. Bbfish would sure be surprised the morning she reaches for the Folgers and discovers your stash...

No reason.

"The Boy Scouts were having a sale, and I know how much you love coffee. I really just wanted to give back to the community and make sure my wife gets the coffee she deserves. You should have seen the tears of joy in the eyes of those poor homeless Boy Scouts. They would have smiled, but the scurvy-induced fatigue was clearly too much for them."

Back