2020 GEC #74 Mustang Thread

Here is my modest assortment from this run. I'm only keeping two, the ironwood will be heading to it's new home on Monday.

Aside from the QC reports and my own irritation at GEC's Ironwood finishing, this was a pretty decent run and am happy that I was able to take part in it.

bpQvihU.jpg

I think whether or not I won any sort of lottery is a matter of subjective debate but that said, I can easily say this is some of the most unique Stag in my collection.

Very interesting texture with all sorts of voids and fissures. Fantastic coloring and excellent thickness - very comfortable in hand. It's hard to capture all of its depth in pictures - I'll have to try again a bit later. In the meantime though, I've included a few below.

I inspected this over a bit more closely than the others as this is the one that is to be my prize, so to speak. I am happy to note that it is pretty perfect - good stout pull and excellent snap, no wobble, gaps, or poor transitions. It's a great knife.

JbXNSW9.jpg

lOsvfjP.jpg

mEUWS2B.jpg
That for sure is some Very Unique Stag my friend .

Harry

I think whether or not I won any sort of lottery is a matter of subjective debate but that said, I can easily say this is some of the most unique Stag in my collection.

Very interesting texture with all sorts of voids and fissures. Fantastic coloring and excellent thickness - very comfortable in hand. It's hard to capture all of its depth in pictures - I'll have to try again a bit later. In the meantime though, I've included a few below.

I inspected this over a bit more closely than the others as this is the one that is to be my prize, so to speak. I am happy to note that it is pretty perfect - good stout pull and excellent snap, no wobble, gaps, or poor transitions. It's a great knife.

JbXNSW9.jpg

lOsvfjP.jpg

mEUWS2B.jpg
Excellent! Well matched uniqueness at that!

JbXNSW9.jpg

lOsvfjP.jpg

mEUWS2B.jpg
Dylan that’s some of the most unique stag I’ve ever seen! :) :thumbsup:

The more stag I see, I wish I would of waited and grabbed a stag instead of a Micarta. Oh well.

So who's gonna try their hand at giving the ironwood 74 a nice a lustrous finish first? :)

That lustrous ironwood is fantastic. Aside from a good shampoo, what can one use to give a shine like that?

And what plans do you have for the blade?

That lustrous ironwood is fantastic. Aside from a good shampoo, what can one use to give a shine like that?

And what plans do you have for the blade?

Would you share what you did to add luster?

I lightly sanded it with progressively finer sandpaper starting at 1000 grit up to 4000 and then polished it on a buffing wheel. I then gave it a coat of paste wax and buffed out again. As for the blade I'm not real fond of the etch so that will probably be buffed out as well.

I lightly sanded it with progressively finer sandpaper starting at 1000 grit up to 4000 and then polished it on a buffing wheel. I then gave it a coat of paste wax and buffed out again. As for the blade I'm not real fond of the etch so that will probably be buffed out as well.

Wow, thanks for the thorough reply. I’m also not a fan (for the most part) of etches, I thought I was the only one! Will that come out with Flitz or just buffing wheel and compound?

Back