1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

2020 GEC #74 Mustang Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    You certainly do have a couple of nice Northfields my friend . Congrats !!!

Harry

2. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks Harry! :) :thumbsup:

3. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Man, such a fine knife and all great pictures posted. I didn't jump on this run because of a great one I have from a previous run, but wishing I would have:)

btb01, tmd_87, Murphjd25 and 2 others like this.
  4. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Beautiful stags gentlemen!

5. NewBlades16

NewBlades16 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Flitz?

Murphjd25 likes this.
  6. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Rouge Red polishing compound, a dremel and buffing wheel, then hand rubbed at the end with more compound on a old pair of denim jeans. :D

7. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Well, this is where I ended up.;)
    [​IMG]

8. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Wow, very nice Jiki:cool::thumbsup:

Jiki and tmd_87 like this.
  9. KnifeandEasy

KnifeandEasy Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 9, 2017
    Stag rolled in yesterday. Again, very sharp. Pretty tight spring-liner-bolster fit, certainly acceptable and may work what little gap there is out. No scratches on this blade and maybe just a touch heavier pull than my other examples.
    Happy camper.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Excellent Stag on that one - nicely done!

11. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Very, very nice, K&E.

Onearmbladenut and KnifeandEasy like this.
  12. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    These are very nice, but the matte finish on the ironwood is not my favorite.
    The plum is the pick of the litter for me.
    58E8D847-99BE-489A-8C88-FFF276D86D8C.jpeg

13. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    If I wasn't such a nut for stag that plum is "plum crazy."

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  14. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    The Plum and the Stag are most definitely the stars of the show. As much as I like Ironwood, the Ironwood 74s just seem unfinished to me.

[​IMG]

15. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    I put my Ironwood away in the chest for now. I'm really enjoying the stag, and plan to pocket it for however long it takes to get a bit of the lighter color showing through the the darker peaks and ridges. Then I just might carry it some more. :D

I agree with those wishing GEC had polished the Ironwood knives. But I'm pretty sure that's something that I can do easily if and whenever I feel the urge. I'll take my sweet time to do it, too. :p;)

I'm thinking that the step(s) in GEC's polishing process may allot a certain amount of time for each cover, and certain woods might be more tedious get just right without taking longer to do so. Still would prefer it done the old way though. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

16. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    A forum member really admired the half pipe so I let him buy it off me. I personally am in the all stag is good stag camp so I am going to keep this one. A lot of character in its own right. I was bored last night so in an unusual move on my part I put a new edge on a brand new knife. Wow, what a nice slicer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Fire King

Fire King Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2020
    Does anyone know what "retail" was for the stag? Or average asking price? I only ask because it appears I paid more from the dealer I went through than KSF has them listed for (out of stock now of course).

Old Engineer likes this.
  18. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    KSF price was the minimum price from GEC. I did notice a retailer who is well known here, and who I’ve purchased from a few times in the past had set their prices anywhere from $10 - $40 above the minimum on #74. I’ve paid a bit over the minimum on knives from them in the past, but this time was the highest markup I’ve seen from them.

19. DavidV81

DavidV81

Feb 12, 2019
    Anyone ever store these in leather slips rather than the tube it comes in? I’m more likely to add the stag in my regular rotation if I do that, but wanted to make sure it wouldn’t cause any harm leaving it in there.

Old Engineer likes this.
  20. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I wouldn’t store them in leather. It makes it more prone to rusting and discoloration.

Ramrodmb, Old Engineer and Matt_WY like this.