2020 is coming...

To add to Dogstars? SRK Compact pics. It came slathered in Cosmoline/Vaseline, whatever. I wear an XL glove and the handle length is perfect. The blade stock is noticeably thinner than the full size SRK, but not thin per se. Conversely, the spine is noticeably thicker than a carbon Mora Heavy Duty. I'm not super big on battoning knives but I will with discretion if I have no better options. This Compact however, I think that I will never go thicker than opening up smallish secondary tinder. But even that is quite useful. Getting at the dryer inner wood and getting a sold fire base going is 3/4 of the battle. But to each their own,..... and of course it is also a slicing/cutting tool. I always viewed battoning as..... if I am so rough so as to bust a knife, I'm not going to cry for a new one from the manufacturer/seller. I really want to take this one out and do a natural materials fire. Maybe I will take a file to the back and clean/square some of it off for a fero rod scraping point. However, it was all I could do to pick this up today while down hard with a cold. I like everything about this knife, and it's weight is virtually non existent. My wife handled the Compact and considers it far more suitable in size and weight, for her, than 95% of my other fixed blades. I have two SRK's and two Recon Tanto's, and I want a couple or three of the Compact.

It's the size of the drop forged boot knife with a bit more handle.
rCFmbfS.jpg

nqEMDLf.jpg

FKy6f0e.jpg

Another question after Bill. Is the handle/shaft of the new larger trench shovel the same diameter/length, at the neck, as the original smaller special forces version ? Is the longer handle "drop in" interchangeable with the original smaller shovel head ?

Last edited:
Got the Air Lite today. I like it, but unfortunately it has to be the dullest knife out of the box I've ever received. Can run my finger along the entire edge with higher than normal pressure without getting cut. Hopefully just a fluke.

Got mine today as well, both tanto and drop point. Came pretty sharp, but suffers from the usual uneven grind issue, especially on the drop point one. Had to reprofile the edge to make it even right outta box, but i now have a nice mirror edge on it. Other than bad edge grind, the fit and finish are great. The AUS10A is surprisingly wear resistance based on my anecdotal sharpening experience. Took quite a bit of time to reprofile the edge despite using diamond stones.
This is my favorite new designs of 2020. My only gripe is that the scale is a bit too thin for my liking and the thinness can be a hot spot when using it for long. I felt that when stropping the blade.
I hope it does well and Cold Steel can make a higher end version with thicker contoured scale and more premium steel. would be much more comfortable if the handle is at least as thick as the lawman.
Side note - the blade to handle ratio is excellent. It has almost the same blade length as the Ultimate Hunter but the handle is about 1/3 to 1/2 inch shorter. This is very efficient design, I always find that the Ultimate Hunter handle is too long for the blade.

The modern concept of an EDC knife being thin enough the "feel good in the pocket" with a handle comfortable enough for just a few cuts opening a package is driven by desk jockeys with expendable income. Thank goodness Cold Steel makes a lot of models with substantial handles for real work.

The modern concept of an EDC knife being thin enough the "feel good in the pocket" with a handle comfortable enough for just a few cuts opening a package is driven by desk jockeys with expendable income. Thank goodness Cold Steel makes a lot of models with substantial handles for real work.

I’d argue that an extra 0.05” of thickness wouldn’t make any difference in anyone’s pocket though, it’s margin of error. Your pants thickness/weight probably varies more. However that 0.05” thickness could mean a world of difference in the hand.
I’m one of those suburb desk jockeys with a lot of expendable income and sensitive hands haha..

Last edited:

I fall into that category somewhat for work. But I also have multiple outdoors interests. And because I am the type of genius that has gotten himself lost in the forest, stayed out too late in the cold, fallen through mink holes on winter frozen creeks, etc., I moved closer to large folders/fixed blades/axes/hatchets. I have scared myself enough times to move out of the playing with my toys mentality, to realizing that I can do myself a lot of harm by not taking along effective tools. It is easier to open a 4-6 inch blade with cold hands than trying to dig out a small SAK blade. The larger/thicker piece of wood processing steel that I have on me the better, in a crap situation (your experiences will determine what that is). This sounds like nothing until it's something. The XL folder thing for me is a good option when on one of those farting around days with no real intention of taking along heavier tools. It's a nice ut oh option. And I have had many ut oh's, as life is variable. The XL folder is a grey area thing for me that also has its place. On the more serious 3/4 isolated location times, I carry multiple cutting tools. Whatever tickles yer toenails.

How are you doing Cold Steel team!

Any word on the Woodman's Sax and the SR1 lite knives?

Back