2020 New Knives Resolution

This is something I've been meaning to accomplish for a few years now, but need to make a concerted effort to do. I've sporadically looked at what's available to make the chore easier, but haven't found the answer yet. I suppose I'm using that as an excuse....

As far as what I plan to do knifewise in 2020, I'd like to add a Case-Bose Eureka Jack to my accumulation. I handled one at the Case Museum store earlier this year and can't seem to get that knifeworm out of my head. I've grown to like Case's Spearpoint, from my experience with the Collab Coffin Jack and think their Wharncliffe secondary looks like a great little blade. I don't see myself adding many more, I'm pretty happy with what I have, although there's usually one or two that pop up that I can't resist.
Here's what I'm hoping to add.
nqnqe4c.jpg

The ebony wood version's been calling my name! I turn 50 this year, maybe that will be a present to myself for making it this far:rolleyes:

My resolution for 2020 is to be one of the best darn slip joint and traditional knife recovering artists available while keeping it a manageable and enjoyable hobby for both myself and potential clients.

I've accumulated a lot this year. It's been in an attempt to find out what works for me in addition to the Peanut that is always with me. I've bought medium sized single- and multi-blade traditionals, larger single-blade traditionals, small and medium fixed blades, multiple sheath/slip combinations, etc, etc. So now I need to spend more time with -everything-, and I see 2020 being a year of a lot of selling/trading/gifting as I find things that just don't work for me.

I've also purchased a bunch of leather bending equipment that I need to put to use, and with the pile of knives growing that I want modified, I may just buy a cheap grinder and give it a go myself.

2020 seems like a year of experimentation. Let's get weird. o_O

Wrote down my list, hopefully I can acquire a few of them before adding any more.
There's 7 traditionals plus a multi tool on it and hopefully I didn't forget anything.

A Case canoe in Amber jigged and CV
A Buck 305
A clip point Case Barlow in CV of some kind
A small carbon steel Mercator in carbon steel
A mil-k-818
A Case mini cokebottle
An American Schrade LB1

Reactions: AnW
I have one more resolution which is a little more than just a knife on the wants list.

I want a small turn of the century English Hunter Bowie , but I don't think they made them as small as I want and couldn't afford one if they did so I'll have to make it.
I believe if I do it just right I can make one out of a Utica sportsman if I can find a decent example at a good price, I've tried and the Imperial H6 isn't quite the right candidate.
If I change gears and shoot for a " California knife " the modification might be a bit easier.

My 2020 resolution, give knives as gifts,I'm thinking about buying some Rough Riders and Cases and just randomly give a knife to people. Even total strangers, somewhat curious to their reactions. Maybe fold a peanut up into a dollar bill with a little note that says "this is the real tip,I hope you enjoy using it " stuff like that. See where it goes,maybe get someone else into the hobby.

My 2020 resolution, give knives as gifts,I'm thinking about buying some Rough Riders and Cases and just randomly give a knife to people. Even total strangers, somewhat curious to their reactions. Maybe fold a peanut up into a dollar bill with a little note that says "this is the real tip,I hope you enjoy using it " stuff like that. See where it goes,maybe get someone else into the hobby.
Nice idea! Once I get out and about I would like to try that and see how it goes. Let us know what happens.

I would resolve not to buy any more knives next year, but since I just ordered a couple of Jokers which won’t be available for shipping until January 3rd, I guess it’s too late for that now.

I do have 4 knives I want to rebuild with different materials next year.

So where do I see this hobby taking me next year? How should I know - I don’t have 2020 vision...:rolleyes:

pump the brakes on my knife collecting ... really focus on missing patterns and don't just jump on every sweetheart deal that pops up on eBay.

The one thing I'm hunting for are a Case muskrat & mini-trapper with G10 sides that they produced in the 2000's and early 2010's. I have a slimline trapper in G10 & love how lightweight it is ...

That's fantastic :thumbsup:

I am retired and the wife will be losing her job some time next yr(April??).. My knife buying is going to come to a screeching halt.. Maybe its time to go thru my 300plus stash and pick out a few to enjoy!!;)
John

BUY FEWER KNIVES.
Decide if I want to attend the Blade Show in Atlanta as it always means spending more money than planned.

Back