2020 prices

We're trying to work with them through another system, which some other manufacturers are also trying, but I can't say that it's been very successful to date. I can assure you that we will continue to try to find optimal solutions to serve you, the end line user, which who we consider to be our customer, and we'll work with all of distribution which we consider to be the conduit to reach you.

sal

As many might know, I live in Europe.
To get Spyderco knives is not as easy as Victorinox but it's doable. Internet helps also.
BUT many big US knife shops do not ship to EU. Not even for more money. And that's very bad.

Blade HQ, Rivers Edge, ...

As many might know, I live in Europe.
To get Spyderco knives is not as easy as Victorinox but it's doable. Internet helps also.
BUT many big US knife shops do not ship to EU. Not even for more money. And that's very bad.

Blade HQ, Rivers Edge, ...

Hi, I feel your pain as well. But we have to understand we are not a big market for spyderco (but even knives in general) so there is not big incentive... I am a big spyderco fan,but sadly prices in Europe got way out of the way. A pm2 costs the equivalent of 220usd. So in the end I buy when I am in the US and cannot support local shop on the brand. I am still buying,but less locally. Spyderco Is for me still the best brand,despise the fact that I do not approve the long chain due to distribution. I cannot tell my job but I am pretty sure in the next 30-40 years local distribution in a lot of business Is closing anyway. We will have shop where you see the products and try them but the delivery and selling Is gonna be very door to door. If you think: what Is the point in producing something in china,shipping It to Usa, shipping to a big distributor, shipping to the shop and later on giving it to you? The brand will pay the shop to Show the items,not to stock them. You Will have a lot of cost cutting in the middle. And Amazon has and will have nothing to do with It...You cannot stop progress, but we do not have to think about that Jobs will be lost and nobody is gonna sell the products. Think about it: there is gonna be a man showing knives of spyderco,showing the whole line up,suggesting you etc....this is what already Is happening in a lot of business. But the delivery Is gonna be from the Company to your door. And there is gonna be more marketing. The chain Is already broken. But these are my 2c.

You guys in Europe can thank your governments for the high prices and low availability.

Spyderco is holding 99% of our prices for 2020, despite increases to us.

sal

That's pretty above and beyond kind, but it seems to me that you need to do what it takes to grow your business. I imagine that the additional sales at current prices must outweigh the cost in sales of covering a higher percentage of your costs. As an N of 1, I never mind an increase of a few $ if it means more innovation.

C Carlito86

Yes, the market will be changed in the next 20 years. And it changed in the past 20. To the better.

My concern is more that US companies act very locally. If you are not US we want not deal with you. In a global world this is... :/

That is certainly its own problem. The Chinese have taken over quite a few industries in the past 2 decades. We had an audience with the House of Representatives a few years ago along with other US manufacturers that were being put out of business by the Chinese 12/1 currency difference. I guess we'll see where the future goes? We certainly don't want to make all of our products on China, but discussions like this one shows how difficult it can be.

sal

And I’m sure their ever improving manufacturing capabilities makes this worse...20 years ago things like Kizer and We would have been a fantasy.

Good on Spyderco for trying to stay as “American” as possible, but I won’t fault them for doing what they need to do to survive (and thrive). Sadly, I think some people are deluded by the belief in “American exceptionalism” especially when it comes to industry. Reality is that we are nothing exceptional and have lagged behind many other countries for some time as far as evolving to keep on the forefront.

It sounds like Sal and Eric are trying to do what they can to evolve and compete effectively in a changing world and it’s great to see that. By contrast, you have people like Emerson who keep raising prices while quality falls, post long diatribes blaming millennials and Muslims for everything and then quietly making big bucks from Chinese made licensed products via Kai.

In my view, the best Spyderco models are made in Taichung, with Golden close behind. Seki and China are about equal well behind that. Seki and Golden make the best “users” (I don’t really buy Chinese since I avoid 8CR) and Taichung the best “because it can be done” knives like the Drunken.

Last edited:
And I’m sure their ever improving manufacturing capabilities makes this worse...20 years ago things like Kizer and We would have been a fantasy.

Good on Spyderco for trying to stay as “American” as possible, but I won’t fault them for doing what they need to do to survive (and thrive). Sadly, I think some people are deluded by the belief in “American exceptionalism” especially when it comes to industry. Reality is that we are nothing exceptional and have lagged behind many other countries for some time as far as evolving to keep on the forefront.

It sounds like Sal and Eric are trying to do what they can to evolve and compete effectively in a changing world and it’s great to see that. By contrast, you have people like Emerson who keep raising prices while quality falls, post long diatribes blaming millennials and Muslims for everything and then quietly making big bucks from Chinese made licensed products via Kai.

In my view, the best Spyderco models are made in Taichung, with Golden close behind. Seki and China are about equal well behind that. Seki and Golden make the best “users” (I don’t really buy Chinese since I avoid 8CR) and Taichung the best “because it can be done” knives like the Drunken.

I don’t get the allure of Taichung made models. IMO the Golden made models better designed and constructed when it comes to the parts that matters like the blade grind, the hardware, the jimping, detent etc. The Golden one are also more consistently built imo.
Taichung may produced many artsy models, or one that requires a lot of additional finish works, imo that just one part of the quality.

The design part is more subjective, but some people prefer the Taichung fit and finish. Personally, I love them both, AND Seki. After all, that is where my Salts come from.

Thoroughly a really good read on a subject that is dear to my heart. The knives not the cost :D. But i suspect the cost really is important and unavoidable unless you find a way to acquire knives for free. I’m still looking.
I’m a member of a knife club ( family of sorts) and can call them and order directly getting a really nice discount based on a % off msrp. Still way below Map. Limited to a number of knives per year. More than pays for the club membership.
Sal, has Spyderco considered that kind of program? Just thinking out of the box?
Would love to buy some Spyderco knives direct even if it was limited.
Just my .04 cents due to inflation ;)

Their US-made knives are uniformly superb, but having handled (and owned a couple) Taichung models, I really can't get over how perfect they are. I really can't pick one over the other. Prices are what they are, but if you feel the Taichung knives are somehow inferior, you need to get a few in your hands and find out for yourself.

Definitely the Golden Co knives are the ones i have at the top of my Spyde list. Really look for the price drops or closeouts but doesn’t always pan out. For the money the Taichung knives are superb even though i only have a couple i have been very pleased.

Their US-made knives are uniformly superb, but having handled (and owned a couple) Taichung models, I really can't get over how perfect they are. I really can't pick one over the other. Prices are what they are, but if you feel the Taichung knives are somehow inferior, you need to get a few in your hands and find out for yourself.
Eh, the Taichung models tend to have weak detents, still a tendency to use too much thread locker and blunt gimping. Outside of that they do have nice fit and finish but I wouldn’t rate them above Golden models.

I have piles of both. The Taichung knives consistently have softer detents and obtuse wonky edge bevels. Golden is better at both of those things.

I will pick Golden over Taichung. Had a Mamba. The fit and finish is superb and the cf looks beautiful but the flipping actionn is so so; the detent is a bit too soft; not very sharp either.

Sal,

I haven’t purchased as many Spyderco’s in the past two years because of the price increases. I don’t blame you for raising your prices but honestly we have very few knife shops in Georgia so I only buy on line. I’m not sure how MAP protects those dealers if you refuse to sell to Amazon.

Anyway, have you thought about becoming an on line dealer yourself? It seems to be working on a smaller scale and you could sell at lower price. Is it because you couldn’t achieve the volume you get from dealers?

I u Dre’s tans if you don’t want to answer this question....

Sal,

I haven’t purchased as many Spyderco’s in the past two years because of the price increases. I don’t blame you for raising your prices but honestly we have very few knife shops in Georgia so I only buy on line. I’m not sure how MAP protects those dealers if you refuse to sell to Amazon.

Anyway, have you thought about becoming an on line dealer yourself? It seems to be working on a smaller scale and you could sell at lower price. Is it because you couldn’t achieve the volume you get from dealers?

I understand if you don’t want to answer this question....

Hi Gadgetman,

We don't like to undercut our dealers so our on line prices are full retail.

sal

Back