1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

2020 Summer Kitchen Knife Kith

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Willie71, May 16, 2020.

1. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    Ok, so there is interest. I will host the 2020 Summer Kitchen Knife Kith. For those who don’t know, a Kith stands for knife in the hat, a practise from the Great Depression where people would put their knife in a hat, and they would be randomly selected to be used for the day whittling. For our purposes, each person will make a knife to be completed by 01 September 2020. There is no obligation from signing up. If you don’t finish in time, no worries. After the deadline, I will do a random draw and provide shipping information for each person who completed a knife with the name and address of the recipient. International members are welcome, but please check your local laws regarding shipping knives to prevent problems.

The rules are quite minimal. Make any style kitchen knife you want, but we will have a minimum 5” blade length, or if you want to do a smaller knife, like a steak knife, make a pair to equalize things.

Perfection is not required, just make the beat knife you can. Use quality materials, but this is about giving, not receiving. If you make a damascus knife with mammoth ivory, you likely won’t get something equivalent in return. The best part of a Kith is getting a knife in the hands of another maker. Having a knife reviewed by a more seasoned Smith is a great way to learn, and newer smiths receiving a more experienced makers knife shows what we can aspire to. Please check with the maker if they prefer feedback on the public forum, or in private.

Post pics of progress, and ask questions as you go.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    TheEdge01 likes this.
  2. CallumRD1

CallumRD1

Jan 10, 2020
    I'd be interested

Willie71 likes this.
  3. Storm W

Storm W

Feb 19, 2019
    I'm in.

4. DustinY

DustinY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 29, 2016
    I'm in.

5. imill3567

imill3567 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 5, 2014
    I’d be interested as well.

6. eric brinkerhoff

eric brinkerhoff

Mar 10, 2013
    I'd be interested too.

7. Kevin Kf knives

Kevin Kf knives

Jul 2, 2018
    This guy

8. Daniel W

Daniel W

May 1, 2019
    I’d like to join

9. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    I’m a relatively new maker and have never participated in something like this. I may have to give this a shot myself. I’m in

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  10. Taqtaq

Taqtaq

Jun 10, 2018
    I’m in

11. Skiller1nc

Skiller1nc

Jun 27, 2016
    Im in

12. A. Matthews

A. Matthews Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2017
    I ended up not finishing my knife for the last KITH in time, so I’m going to jump on this one. I’ve been wanting to make a kitchen knife anyways. I’m in

13. Travis Talboys

Travis Talboys KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 30, 2018
    I'm in as well.

14. scott kozub

scott kozub Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Count me in.

15. timos-

timos-

Oct 22, 2012
    im in

16. buckmaster96

buckmaster96

Jan 6, 2012
    I'd be interested. I have really been trying to work on refining things and would like to hear what someone with more knowledge thinks

TheEdge01 likes this.
  17. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    I’m in the same boat you are. My work has improved a lot, but I’m still trying to get everything fine tuned.

18. Kevin Cross

Kevin Cross KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 13, 2006
    Count me in, afterall it's not like we have to go to shows this summer.

19. Shane Csepp

Shane Csepp Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2019
    I'm In! Last one was fun so might as well jump in again. Thanks for running!

20. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    I'd like to join but it's just too damn hot down here to get any real work done, in any sort of reliable time frame.

Plus my last KITH knife still hasn't arrived at it's intended location in Canada...

DustinY likes this.