2020 Summer Kitchen Knife Kith

Willie71

Warren J. Krywko
Ok, so there is interest. I will host the 2020 Summer Kitchen Knife Kith. For those who don’t know, a Kith stands for knife in the hat, a practise from the Great Depression where people would put their knife in a hat, and they would be randomly selected to be used for the day whittling. For our purposes, each person will make a knife to be completed by 01 September 2020. There is no obligation from signing up. If you don’t finish in time, no worries. After the deadline, I will do a random draw and provide shipping information for each person who completed a knife with the name and address of the recipient. International members are welcome, but please check your local laws regarding shipping knives to prevent problems.

The rules are quite minimal. Make any style kitchen knife you want, but we will have a minimum 5” blade length, or if you want to do a smaller knife, like a steak knife, make a pair to equalize things.

Perfection is not required, just make the beat knife you can. Use quality materials, but this is about giving, not receiving. If you make a damascus knife with mammoth ivory, you likely won’t get something equivalent in return. The best part of a Kith is getting a knife in the hands of another maker. Having a knife reviewed by a more seasoned Smith is a great way to learn, and newer smiths receiving a more experienced makers knife shows what we can aspire to. Please check with the maker if they prefer feedback on the public forum, or in private.

Post pics of progress, and ask questions as you go.

Last edited:
I’m a relatively new maker and have never participated in something like this. I may have to give this a shot myself. I’m in

Last edited:
I ended up not finishing my knife for the last KITH in time, so I’m going to jump on this one. I’ve been wanting to make a kitchen knife anyways. I’m in

I'd be interested. I have really been trying to work on refining things and would like to hear what someone with more knowledge thinks

I'd be interested. I have really been trying to work on refining things and would like to hear what someone with more knowledge thinks
I’m in the same boat you are. My work has improved a lot, but I’m still trying to get everything fine tuned.

Count me in, afterall it's not like we have to go to shows this summer.

I'd like to join but it's just too damn hot down here to get any real work done, in any sort of reliable time frame.

Plus my last KITH knife still hasn't arrived at it's intended location in Canada...

Back