• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

2021 BF Forum knife vs. Facebook & Flippers

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have already been rumblings of folks in FB groups creating guides so that members there can join here and meet the requirements to get one of the already in demand 2021 Forum knives pending to be made by GEC.

That type of tactic contravenes the spirit of the forum knife as these members aren't joining to contribute to the forums or to the traditional sub. They merely want chance to soak up a few hot knives to flip on eBay at 5x the price.

Post up names, links, screenshots, whatever you've got. There will be enough members on here to help stamp out the grass-fire before it gets rolling.

While there are flippers, not all of them are. Just wanted to throw that out there. I’ve made good connections through a couple of the groups and have many good conversations with people.

While there are flippers, not all of them are. Just wanted to throw that out there. I’ve made good connections through a couple of the groups and have many good conversations with people.
Also, isn’t there usually a minimum membership or activity time also? Not just a post count? Not worried, mike et al will ensure it’s fair.

For sure there will be a bar and requirements and not everyone on Facebook is bad.

But it is prudent give the current GEC mania and already seeing people making their first post in the forum knife thread about how they've been waiting to get one.

People who are worried about that happening or have proof can talk about it here instead of clogging up the threads in traditional and having the mods keep reminding them to stay on the topic.

For sure there will be a bar and requirements and not everyone on Facebook is bad.

But it is prudent give the current GEC mania and already seeing people making their first post in the forum knife thread about how they've been waiting to get one.

People who are worried about that happening or have proof can talk about it here instead of clogging up the threads in traditional and having the mods keep reminding them to stay on the topic.
I understand. After a year in Bahrain where knives are illegal and coming back I focused on buying a house. It wasn’t until that was all settled that I got back into it a handful of months ago. The beer and sausage was intriguing and I was surprise at how hard that was to get. That’s not how it used to be.

Either way I can earn a BF knife great, if not at least I am finally contributing to this community via membership dues. I am sorry that people like me are causing anyone heartburn.

Last year we had a minimum post count (anywhere in BF outside the exchange) along with a 3 month prior membership requirement...that should pretty much take care of any vultures of concern :thumbsup:

Since you are obviously a member of that group, I'll ask you kindly to remove yourself from it :thumbsup:

Sure thing! :D

I would have thought you would have liked to weed out the clowns who are planning on scalping these on ebay. Being a part of a community means something different to everyone I guess. Cheers!

Sure thing! :D

I would have thought you would have liked to weed out the clowns who are planning on scalping these on ebay. Being a part of a community means something different to everyone I guess. Cheers!

Or you misread the context and he is saying "buy one off ebay rather than astroturfing BF for participation points" But by all means, make assumptions.

Bottom line: I know Matt personally and he doesn't flip.

Last edited:
guys, dont start a witchhunt.

its all in good hands, in the hands of experienced BF admins/ members.
BF makes the rules and i am convinced that these BF guys will find the right way to chop the next forums knife to the right members.

I was a member of the GECC FB group until a few weeks ago and as several have mentioned there are lots of folks who are members both here and there and some who are quite active in both. And obviously there are good people in both groups and probably some flippers in both groups. I left the FB group in an attempt to wean myself off social media once and for all. Hopefully, the less active BF members that have started scrambling to get their post counts up since yesterday will decide they like it here and stick around. That can only be a good thing in my mind. I hope the ones that actually want the knife to keep and use are able to get one (along with all the active members of the Porch of course).

Last fall, “that other web based knife forum” had their GEC Mustang Club knife released and folks from the several FB groups (as well as from other social media knife groups I'm sure) gobbled them up before active, contributing forum members even knew they were out. Needless to say, there were lots of hard feelings especially when the knives started showing up on the Bay. So the concern some have brought up is valid.

Having said that, the other forum didn’t have any rules in place with regards to who could buy the knives (i.e must be a member for x months with so may posts, etc). The rules that have been placed on eligibility for our forum knife the past couple years would have prevented much of that. Fortunately, it sounds like Charlie is aware of and on top of the issue and intends to give preference to active BF Porch members. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't expect there will be that much of a problem as long as eligibility rules are well thought out.

I really hope this doesn't degrade into a bunch of ill will and hard feelings between various folks and groups of people. It's just knives after all.

Or you misread the context and he is saying "buy one off ebay rather than astroturfing BF for participation points" But by all means, make assumptions.

That's fair.

Although the person who posted that on Facebook is a member here with four posts. Three of them begging Black Mamba to sell him his 2018 BF knife at cost. Just seemed a but suspect to me. You're right about making assumptions though.

Hello,
I’ve seen past couple years the BF knife is managed very well from start to end. It’s in good hands. Nothing to worry.
Altho some BF knives have been flipped on the bay for 4-5 times it’s original price, it will be controlled somehow imo. BF members will find a solution, always have! It’s going to be a fun project with GEC86.
Cheers:thumbsup:

+1
Re sale only on BF exchange to established members, with pre condition of no flipping on the bay :D.... and so on, but the possibilities will only multiply.
As I wrote before, a sure fun project ahead.

I still say individually numbering the knives would put a stop to the nonsense. Easy enough to track and ban from future sales.

Last edited:
Personally, I find it strange that anyone would want a knife that is representative of a community/club that they do not participate in.

However, with the above said, I can understand from the perspective of a collector who is seeking out every variant - but I would bet a fair bit that these types are outliers.

A number of years ago when the GEC #35 was produced, another knife forum made their club knife the Churchill and, to me, it had some desirable covers. However, I did not buy one or seek one out because it felt weird to me to have a knife that was made for a club that I was not a member of. This is still a sentiment that I hold, though I have sought out club knives that are variants of a specific pattern that I collect.

I am not privy to any inside info but it would stand to reason that GEC is planning a run of 86s outside of our proposed forum knife. If these do indeed end up being Barlows, perhaps even with a different blade than the Forum knife, there will be more than just the Forum knife to sate one's desire.

I still say individually numbering the knives would put a stop to the nonsense. Easy enough to track and ban from future sales.

Some folks do buy these BF knives because they want them and then later, for other reasons, sell them. Often for no profit. Then the numbered knife is in the wild. The original buyer should not be dinged by the forum for that.

Trying to police this sort of thing is more trouble than it is worth. Put some conditions on who can buy it and call it done. If some end up on ebay, so be it.

The point is to create these cool knives for the forum members that want them. If a few people use it as an opportunity to make some extra cash, that is on them. That sort of attitude is eventually noticed by others and it's a fairly small community at the end of the day.

Some folks do buy these BF knives because they want them and then later, for other reasons, sell them. Often for no profit. Then the numbered knife is in the wild. The original buyer should not be dinged by the forum for that.

Trying to police this sort of thing is more trouble than it is worth. Put some conditions on who can buy it and call it done. If some end up on ebay, so be it.

The point is to create these cool knives for the forum members that want them. If a few people use it as an opportunity to make some extra cash, that is on them. That sort of attitude is eventually noticed by others and it's a fairly small community at the end of the day.

Nothing wrong with selling your BF knife, as long as the rules are followed. The previous rules have been that if you sell it, you sell it for little to no markup. I see no issue with that, and those aren't the people I'm speaking of.

I'm speaking of the people who buy the knife for $100 and then turn around and sell it for $800 a few months later. Those are easy enough to track. You're correct that there aren't many people who do that. But that doesn't mean we should just let it slide imo. A few bad apples and all that jazz. It wouldn't be any more effort for the mods because I personally track it myself. It's easy enough for me to send the evidence of the marked up sells to the mods so that they can place them on the list of people banned from buying BladeForums forum knives.

And no offense... But it doesn't surprise me too much that you don't want this tracked considering you sold a GEC Waynorth 93 for $310 here on the forum like six months after they released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back