2021 GEC #15 Urban Jack Photo Thread

knifeswapper knifeswapper Hey Mike, will you be putting up a reserve on these once you know what your total allotment will be, or will you be putting them up on the website as you receive them?

Got in while it was still available, thought about it for a few seconds (a perilous choice, I know!), and decided to leave one for someone who will carry it. Looking forward to seeing pics of these in the wild! :)

I decided today that I would try to get one of these. Buy now, explain to my wife later. I was at the skatepark with my son when the early reserve came. I saw immediately, unfortunately by the time the website loaded, reserves were closed. I’ll see if another one pops up somewhere. At least the skating was fun. :)

Last edited:
Bet you have another email.

Only the initial email saying it’s reserved, followed by the email saying it’s on standby. I even checked my spam folder. Hopefully I get it, but if not this isn’t a knife I would pay the marked up price for. I’ll save that for a 47 :)

Only the initial email saying it’s reserved, followed by the email saying it’s on standby. I even checked my spam folder. Hopefully I get it, but if not this isn’t a knife I would pay the marked up price for. I’ll save that for a 47 :)
Go to your account page on CK and check it there. :thumbsup:

Yes, two emails. Do what every optimistic person would do - keep the one you like best ;)

Urban Jack LOL My grandfather would laugh his a$$ of at this. Maybe next we'll have one with a little mirror that flips out lol

Having perused a lot of content here and seen a lot of knives, there are plenty of old knives with features that one might deem ridiculous - like a cigar fork, for example. As much as I get a kick out of poking fun at this knife, a comb is not all that absurd.

Fellas from older generations liked to look good too.

c5acZ6o.gif

Which covers does everyone prefer if you could only choose one? Personally I like the micarta, but the green bone is nice too :)

Which covers does everyone prefer if you could only choose one? Personally I like the micarta, but the green bone is nice too :)

For me, it's the green micarta for sure. The bone is nice, but I am a fan of micarta for users, which is what this will be for me.

Lots of people have complained about the weak spring on the comb. And I could be wrong (it's been known to happen), but the first time I opened the comb on my Beer and Sausage, I realized instantly that the spring HAD to be that weak (or at least to my mind it did). Compare the comb to any other folding implement GEC has ever made. It's a completely different animal. It's crazy thin, and made of a completely different steel (I believe it's the same steel as used for the lock bar on 73s and 23s, but I'm not 100 percent). Now, consider all the stock removed from the impliments in order to make the tines on the comb. Can we imagine what would happen if that comb, in the open position, had to overcome even a 5 or a 6, on the spring stiffness scale, in order to close the comb?? I feel like it's pretty clear that the comb would fold in the enter area of its spine, thus ruining the entire knife.

I firmly believe that there's not only a method to the light pull madness, but a necessity. Granted, I guess GEC could have made an extra thick spine on the comb by making the tines half as deep/long. But then wouldn't we just complain about that? :D Additionally the spring itself is thin! In other words, it, too, can only do so much heavy work (although I'm sure it's the spine of the comb that's the weak link).

Just open and close one on a Beer and Sausage and ask yourself, as you're doing it, "could this handle a 6 on the spring strength?? Could it even handle a 4!?"

It's just that I hear about the weak spring thing so much with the Beer and Sausage, but no one ever considers the context.

I guess it will be telling to see what the spring is like on this" Urban Jack." If it's a stout 5....I guess I'm wrong on this theory.
Well, I stand corrected.:eek:
The spring on the Urban Jack BRR tool is more stout and it is an improvement! No feeling that the comb itself is too flimsy for the stiffer action. :thumbsup:

And....the spine on the Urban Jack's Comb is even thinner than that of the Beer and Sausage!
wWZ93Y2.jpg

KxUW7bI.jpg

ZOKEegR.jpg

Last edited:
For me, it's the green micarta for sure. The bone is nice, but I am a fan of micarta for users, which is what this will be for me.
I almost always want jigged bone over micarta. But I definitely liked the micarta on this Urban JACK. I think it's more in line with the hipster vibe. Lol. ;) Of course, I'm often surprised at what I actually like after getting it in hand. I do hope to add a jigged bone to the fold so I can really see. Fingers-crossed.

Last edited:
In a very rare instance of brilliant luck, I was able to scoop up one of these Urban Jacks and despite all the ice and snow, it made it to my doorstep safely today.

It is a strange knife but it is a rather well-made one - better made than the recent Barlows, in my opinion. I prefer 2-blade 15s and the only ones I've kept over the years (aside from Barlows), are examples with two blades. The added heft that a secondary blade provides on a 15, makes the knife 100% more enjoyable to me and though the BRRT is a bit thinner than some secondary blades, it still provides the desired result.

The main blade has the typical pull that I am accustomed to on 15s, though it could certainly benefit from a good flush. The comb surprised me though and it has a similar pull to the main and has some delightful snap to it. Overall the blade is ground well, nice and thin behind the edge, though it is still left a bit obtuse at the point - something else that I am used to seeing on GECs.

No gaps, smooth transitions, and a properly inlet shield - the fit and finish on this is quite good. Though I do not care for the etch, I do very much like the shield - even with the stamping. It reminds me of some of the vintage shields that you would see on some of the older knives - like Keen Kutter and the like.

It is an odd duck and is the cause for some mirthful head scratching but I like it and it's one that folks won't easily forget. I do hope to scoop up one in the Green Jigged bone as I prefer that cover material and this one in Micarta already has another home.

My apologies for the picture quality - my source of natural lighting was compromised by freezing rain. I had to get creative with some indoor pics.

lzVxfzG.jpg

Back