2021 GEC #71 Bull Nose

Let's get back to knife discussion, please. All this order related talk is off topic in the Traditional sub forum. If you really need to do it, take it to Feedback.

Last edited:
I have four of these already from previous years, so am not after any of the new ones, but I do hope folks who haven't experienced this pattern will try to score one. I carried my first in red micarta for a couple of years almost exclusively, and it's still a fantastic knife.

I have four of these already from previous years, so am not after any of the new ones, but I do hope folks who haven't experienced this pattern will try to score one. I carried my first in red micarta for a couple of years almost exclusively, and it's still a fantastic knife.
Do you have a photo of your red linen user? I have a red linen from 2014 that I have yet to use since I have a lot of users in rotation but the micarta looks a lot darker than what is being released. I don't remember what it looked like when I first got it and just curious if it simply darkened while sitting in the tube.

Do you have a photo of your red linen user? I have a red linen from 2014 that I have yet to use since I have a lot of users in rotation but the micarta looks a lot darker than what is being released. I don't remember what it looked like when I first got it and just curious if it simply darkened while sitting in the tube.

I don't right at the moment (I'm at work), however, I'd be glad to take a pic of it when I get home and post up for you. I will say it's pretty dark, because it's done everything I've asked of it, and I've carried and used it quite a bit. I CAN say, that even when it was new (as I got it), mine wasn't bright "true" red like the pics I'm seeing of the new releases. It was a darker red from the get-go.

That said, I don't think one of these would darken up if it had just been sitting in the tube, but hey, stranger things have happened!

Burgundy Linen user

a7JoC4h.jpg

And on arrival

8Zmrg1D.jpg

Here you go:

qHQDEac.jpg

Gec posted up another stack of tubes to be delivered on wednesday. Overall it looks like theyve made a lot of the 71’s, even so, they still will be gone in a flash.

Here you go:
That is very nice. I’m hoping to score a red linen Micarta from one of the dealers soon and really want one that’s dark red like that. I think some mineral oil and carry will make it dark if it turns out being bright red

I think the new stack are the green ones? Edit - no, the photo says “more red”! That’s a lotta red.

I ordered a red, but I wish they had made some muslin micarta 71’s, that one is my favorite.

Same, I had one at one point, but it went to a friend who needed it VERY badly. LOL I made out ok, myself!

Yeah, I have Micarta #71’s from 2015, 2017 and 2018. None of them are noticeably thicker than any of the others. In fact, the 2017 Muslin Micarta is a hair thinner than all of the 2015’s. My two acrylic models from 2015 are slightly thinner than all of the Micartas, but I don’t think that’s really an apples-to-apples comparison, and the difference between my thickest #71 and my thinnest is less than 1mm. Pull/action are also pretty comparable across the different runs. (2017 had slightly stronger pulls, but are just snappy as knives from 2015.)
btb01 btb01 I should've been more specific and differentiated between micarta and delrin and acrylic.
My favorite 71s are delrin and acrylic. My delrins are probably the same thickness as my micartas but are more rounded and have better actions (springy) and a little lighter pull than the later 71s.
The acrylics are much thinner than the micarta and delrin models and again more springy.
Also it seems the blade thickness is much thicker now than they were in 2012 and 2015. But overall i love the 71s.

I dislike red so I’ll leave those for you guys but I’m really hoping I can land a green.

Back