2021 GEC 83 Tascosa Lock Back

I’d say I’m mildly disappointed with the switch from Micarta to Bocote, only Because I like really like Micarta as a user, they just seem to get better and better over time. I do like wood and some of it wears well also, walnut, olivewood comes to mind, but I don’t own any Bocote right now so I don’t have any experience with it. Wouldn’t mind hearing from those that do. How does it wear over time and use?

Bummed that micarta was bumped. Here’s hoping our shield choices are anything but hotdog or cloud! The size comparison with a 15 have me excited.

I was fortunate enough to reserve all three variants and I'm excited about the bocote wood. I don't have any experience with it and used to think it was a little boring, but just a couple weeks ago I started liking it for some reason, so now I guess I'm gonna get to try it.

Bummed that micarta was bumped. Here’s hoping our shield choices are anything but hotdog or cloud! The size comparison with a 15 have me excited.

Sadly, I think the Badge shield is the new Hotdog. I do like the Badge shield quite a bit but too much of a good thing will always end up being spoilt.

I'm not experienced with bocote as a knife cover but i've turned it on a lathe a few times. I think it would be similar to ironwood from a hardness/wear standpoint, it really dulls blades when you are cutting it. Also, like ironwood, grain pattern can very a bunch so it will reward some and not others. I do think that the grain pattern suites bigger pieces vs. smaller. I would be excited if I thought I could pick from a few but I am to new to the chase to remember those days.

I don't have this knife anymore but it is the only knife that I have owned with Bocote. From all the examples I have seen of the wood, it has a rather unique look, regardless of the grain orientation - it's hard to imagine it being too disappointing.

7UhzraR.jpg

Those are some nice looking bocote examples. Im happy with it. I find it exciting not know if my knife will be a stunner or quite bland. Though this looks like it could be a winner across the board

I haven't heard much speculation on the jigged bone color - what is everyone hoping for or expect? Does GEC tend to go with something less "natural" when they are also using stag?

Have owned a few GEC lockbacks, 99s, 72s, 42s, 83s, they all have some play in the locked position. Expect some and you won't be disappointed. If you happen to get one with very little play use it and see what happens. In my experience it will develop some side to side play ... can pinch the bolsters with my hand and most of the play will go into hiding. IMO this tendency would be reduced with steel liners. Base my opinion on side by side comparison of GEC produced knives of the exact same model, one with steel liners, the other with brass. Steel liner GECs flex less than brass liner GECs. In spite of that, I'm still a fan of the 83, have one in my pocket almost daily, and am super happy to see them become available again. My cocobolo 83 has a few years pocket time. The lock isn't perfect, but substantial enough for it's purpose, secure enough for a small slipjoint.

sublccand83-1.jpg

My grandson was born in 2015, so I got us matching stag 83s with the help of a couple forum members. Don't have a pic of his handy, but here's a 2018 pic of the three from the previous run I managed to grab. Best GEC stag I own. Upcoming run will not have shields if GEC holds true to the trend. Too bad, I like the Unexcelled shield.

tascosatrio.jpg

Back