2021 GEC 83 Tascosa Lock Back

Sorry for the doubletap ... forum was really slow right before the upgrade.

Last edited:
I’m a bit disappointed, to be honest. I was looking forward to the Micarta. Bocote will look good, though.

I'm with you. The size of the 83 isn't great for showing off how nice Bocote can be. Bummed the micarta got booted. Too bad they didn't switch to a wood that doesn't depend heavily on its figure to look nice.

I wasn't sure if I would like these but after seeing more pics for prior runs and talking to some friends I'm actually pretty excited to get my hands on one or two.

520EDF3F-C2C9-4D70-8D4E-BBBC04D7A63D.jpeg
The grain on some of those is spectacular... others are kinda so-so... it's a lottery.
Hmmmm... Seems we've seen that shield somewhere before... they must have over-stock in them.

The grain on those examples (the straight stuff) is what I would expect from the majority of Bocote examples - especially on a production knife. Bocote is an unmistakable wood and I think it will look nice regardless of the grain orientation. The shield, on the other hand... I think it's become rather clear that we have a new "hotdog" shield. I like the badge shield and think it looks nice on this pattern but still, like I said before, too much of a good thing and all of that...

I was expecting it to be all straight grain. That one in the front on that first picture... ill take one of those please. Maybe straight grain on the opposite cover.

I think these look fabulous. Shield and all. I think the lottery was signing up for the micarta. (Which I was fortunate enough to do with CK).

It was told to me one time that the Tidioute line was the more economic line and therefore received the hotdog shield mostly as a cost saving option, so yes it appears the badge is the new hotdog and there is a dollars and cents reason for it.

I was expecting it to be all straight grain. That one in the front on that first picture... ill take one of those please. Maybe straight grain on the opposite cover.
I don't have any knives with bocote covers and from what I've seen from examples, I too was expecting straight grain. The one in front in the first photo looks interesting, almost like tiger stripe.

I always confuse bocote and zebra wood, but they are not the same.

The straight grain bocote are very nice, I think I would prefer that over a swirly cover.

10x better than micarta!

View attachment 1562107View attachment 1562108View attachment 1562109Some photos of the bocote. They are looking nice. I know some people won’t be thrilled with the shield.

The highly figured handles would be plain sawed wood..... It is more visually appealing with most species but less stable dimensionally......

Quarter sawed wood shows less figure and more growth rings...... It is more stable than plain sawed wood and is almost always used in flooring applications due to it's stability..... Red Oak is a beautiful quarter sawn wood as the quarter sawing exposes the medullary wood rays....Screenshot_20210511-202708_kindlephoto-971333930.png

Burl wood is twisted, contorted wood and is a hodge podge of grain running all different directions....... Pretty to look at, but not inherently stable......

The highly figured handles would be plain sawed wood..... It is more visually appealing with most species but less stable dimensionally......

Quarter sawed wood shows less figure and more growth rings...... It is more stable than plain sawed wood and is almost always used in flooring applications due to it's stability..... Red Oak is a beautiful quarter sawn wood as the quarter sawing exposes the medullary wood rays....View attachment 1562291

Burl wood is twisted, contorted wood and is a hodge podge of grain running all different directions....... Pretty to look at, but not inherently stable......
Very interesting stuff, I was under the impression that burl wood was very strong/stable due to the grain pattern. I know that burl is used for reel seats on fly rods, I guess I always assumed it was for both strength and beauty. Every time I get on this forum I learn something.👍

Well the “?” for the shield for stag turned out to be “none” as expected. I was slightly hopeful Bill decided to change his mind and use a shield on stag again.
3880F41C-61FA-478E-8BD1-D77B5817E1EC.jpeg

The shield is too close to the center pin ... again. The amount of cover material between the shield edge and other metal parts (the pins) should be equidistant for aesthetics. A little photoshop shows where it should be located in my opinion. Glad the stag won't have shields, prevents this problem, GEC needs to hire a graphic designer.

Where it is

GEC83shield.jpg

Where it should be

movedshield83.jpg

The shield is too close to the center pin ... again. The amount of cover material between the shield edge and other metal parts (the pins) should be equidistant for aesthetics. A little photoshop shows where it should be located in my opinion. Glad the stag won't have shields, prevents this problem, GEC needs to hire a graphic designer.

Where it is

GEC83shield.jpg

Where it should be

movedshield83.jpg
Wow, John I hope you don't start measuring things on my carvings;)😂😂. Symmetry is not my strong suit.🙃

Back