2021 releases

It's almost like there's some huge thing going on that's disrupting all sorts of companies work right now. Design work, manufacturing, shipping, it's all been slowed down. I would have liked to see more new stuff too, but I understand there's a lot more going on right now, and there's a lot more hurdles for companies to get through this year.
Exactly.

And Spyderco is just a different company. They have offshore factories and can pump out new throwaway models or tons of sprint runs. They've also created a fanbase that scoops up any sprint run or variation and looks forward to the more zany designs. I don't think Benchmade would necessarily be successful with this approach and I'm guessing their workflow is not setup for this. It's okay though, Spyderco has their thing and while I'd like BM to emulate some aspects, BM is doing their own thing.

The new full size Adamas is described on Benchmade site with : BLADE THICKNESS - 1.40" (3.556mm)
https://www.benchmade.com/275gy-1-adamas.html

It's an obvious typo and it must be 0.14".
But the old full size Adamas was listed at 0.16".
That would explain the new weight listed at 6.45oz (182g) instead of 7.70oz (218g) for the old Adamas.

But it also means the overall knife handle will be slimmer (due to the reduced thickness of the blade). I'm not sure I like this change.

I think the slimming will be a positive change. The blade’s new thinner geometry should help it cut all that much better. It is a knife, after all. Don’t get me wrong - I like my overbuilt folders. Although I think the updated Adamas will be pretty great in terms of the new blade - thinner stock, but much tougher, harder steel. All you guys who like to stab, pry and hack stuff with your folder need not worry. This knife is still a tank! Like everyone who’s interested in these 275GY-1’s, I’m quite excited to see what Benchmade’s new CPM-Cruwear can handle. At 63-65 HRC, that truly makes for a TOUGH blade! I don’t think we’ll miss the .020” all that much...

For the sake of example, I was (and still am!) a lover of the 808 Loco. It also sports .160” blade stock and shares similar sized, overbuilt hardware in the likeness of the original Adamas. These days though, instead of the Loco, I now am giving pocket time to the 980 Turret. It has the same beefy hardware and is also a tank. The Turret, however, has reduced blade stock - much thinner, measuring at .124” - and I’ll admit I don’t actually miss the thick stock at all. It performs well at slicing, which I personally find a more valuable attribute in the ability of my knives versus the ability for them to perform like indestructible wedges.

Back to the new & updated Adamas - The only question I have about the 275GY-1 is where or not they’ve reduced the thickness of the LINERS in any way. I haven’t heard any mention of that yet, so I feel like they’ve most likely (hopefully) been left as is. We shall see... I’m quite excited for these to drop in March.

Last edited:
I agree with M Marty McFly that thinner blade stock is just fine, especially with a tough steel like CruWear. I've come to realize that even though I love overbuilt folders, .16" can often be too thick, and if it's not ground well, it really hampers the cutting performance of the knife. I think .14" is plenty thick for a folder, and I actually like that Benchmade has been trending towards thinner blade stock in their harder use folders recently. If I really need anything thicker than .14" I should probably be using a fixed blade anyway.

Well said, Silent H Silent H .
Your post reminded me that I’m actually most excited about the new revamped 375GY-1 Fixed Adamas. I like that they lost the goofy spinal serrations, and of course updated the steel to Cruwear. With this new model, they are keeping the same blade stock of .170”, matching that of the original 375BK. So there’s our truly heavy duty option. Personally, I plan to put the new Cruwear through it’s paces and experiment with this new fixed blade to find out what this steel can handle, rather than really torture my new Adamas folders.

I really like the new Fixed Adamas too, I might end up getting the whole new Adamas family. I really want to see how they feel in the hand, because the brick like ergos of the original Adamas just weren't right for me.

I can't wait to see what you do to that knife Marty, keep us updated!

The new full size Adamas is described on Benchmade site with : BLADE THICKNESS - 1.40" (3.556mm)
https://www.benchmade.com/275gy-1-adamas.html

It's an obvious typo and it must be 0.14".
But the old full size Adamas was listed at 0.16".
That would explain the new weight listed at 6.45oz (182g) instead of 7.70oz (218g) for the old Adamas.

I love my OG Adamas, but the handle is a brick that makes only a passing nod at ergonomics. That's part of its charm, as is the ridiculously thick blade. :D

I dig that the new version slims both of those down, and looks to be more comfy and chamfered. That keeps the two versions distinct from one another...and gives me a reason to consider buying this knife again. :oops:

I'm in for the Orange CPM 154 MeatCrafter. Cheaper that the Meat Eater version and CPM 154 will be great for this knife and it's intended purpose.

I have been considering m390 or 20cv as an alternative to my 90v and found their steel page shows m390 as much higher in strength and toughness than 20cv, which is different than what I've read, so I contacted them about it.
Benchmade runs their 20CV a little harder than their M390, making the 20CV more brittle. At least that's what their rep on their forum said back when they introduced 20CV to their lineup.

Benchmade runs their 20CV a little harder than their M390, making the 20CV more brittle. At least that's what their rep on their forum said back when they introduced 20CV to their lineup.

Yup, I remember reading that on their forum a while back. They treat their M390 to be tougher, and 20CV to be harder. I can tell the difference when I sharpen the two, I prefer their 20CV overall for my uses.

Yup, I remember reading that on their forum a while back. They treat their M390 to be tougher, and 20CV to be harder. I can tell the difference when I sharpen the two, I prefer their 20CV overall for my uses.

Be wary of whatever Benchmade claims. Independent testers have shown that BM's M390 is as hard or harder (59.6 HRc) than their 20CV. The Anthem blades are consistently tested around 57 HRc. Given the 3V debacle and the Anthem softness, I'm surprised anyone believes Benchmade's numbers at all.

What in the world was Benchmade thinking when they discontinued the 555-1? That makes no sense to me. The drop point, sure... Because honestly, I think the Hogue Mini RSK is better, but the Mini Grip with the thumbhole has very little competition outside of something like the Para 3 in my opinion.

Reactions: DMG
Pre-order the
Benchmade Adamas Automatic Knife Desert Tan G-10
It will go nicely with the OG version. I will have to see about getting a pancake leather holster made for it.

Back