2021 Summer Kitchen Kith New Deadline: August 29

Willie71

Warren J. Krywko
I’m going to run a kitchen Kith this year. I’ll post more details over the next couple days. If you are interested, please post “I’m in” below. I just wanted to get the thread started today.

Edit 19 April 2021. Ok, a KITH is a “knife in the hat”, a depression era practice where people would put their knives in a hat, and each person would select a knife to use that day. For our purposes, it’s a gift exchange. You can make whatever style kitchen knife you want, but the minimum size will be a 170mm blade. (If you have something already started, and it’s just a bit short, don’t start over. Keep within the spirit of the rules.) This prevents the unfairness of someone submitting a 3” paring knife, and getting a 220mm knife in return.

You can use pretty much any steel or handle material you want, as long as it’s appropriate for kitchen use. For most of us, that means g-10, micarta, and stabilized woods. Carbon or stainless steel is fine. Just be aware that going high end, like pattern welding, or very exotic steels might mean you receive a much more basic knife in return. The knife can be made completely by yourself, but there is no exclusion for having a blank cut out and heat treated by someone like JT. I do not think a pre ground knife kit is appropriate though.

For me, the spirit of the Kith is in the feedback more experienced makers give less experienced makers. I ask that the recipient ask the maker whether they want public, or private feedback.

Providing a saya (wooden sheath) or a padded knife pouch is recommended. Leather sheaths tend to hold moisture, and pose a risk of bacteria growth which is not good in the kitchen.

I do not police entries. If you aren’t sure if you are ready, post pics of your work, and ask for feedback. Myself, or Hubert.S will give you constructive feedback. Hubert has offered to help me run this, which is much appreciated. He actually initiated the idea for doing the Kith again this year.

the deadline will be July 31, 2021. You must post a picture of tthe completed knife on August 1st. If you are not done, no worries. There is no commitment unless you complete your knife. Once complete, you will give your contact information to me, via pm, or at my email, which is in my profile. I will need your name, mailing address, and phone number. International members are welcome, but be aware that shipping costs might be quite high. If you live in a country that has ridiculous shipping rates, I ask that any shipping costs over $50 be covered, as in rare occasions, it has cost me $150 to ship a knife. That is too much to ask someone to pay in a gift exchange. Most shipping to Canada, the US, or Europe for me, in Canada has been between $20 and $45.

Please post pics of your design, and progress. That keeps things interesting, and helps motivate the participants.

EDIT: New deadline: August 29, 2021.

Last edited:
The list of people interested as of 02 May 2021 is:

Willie71
A.McPherson
Hubert S.
FredyCro
Daniel Carraher
Nick-D
Crag the Brewer
CallumRD1
imill3567
Storm W
Skiller1nc
Justin W
Travis Talboys
Shane Csepp
Kevin Kf knives
Taz
Scott Kozub
Timos

I will update the list as we go. Thanks Hubert for compiling the list.

Last edited:
What does this entail? I might be in.
I’m not the host, but I participated in last years kith. A Kith is “knives in the hat”. All of the participants make a knife following the guidelines set by the person hosting the kith. When it’s over, the host will randomly draw names and email each participant the person that they send their finished knife to. That’s pretty much it in a nutshell. Willie71 will go into more detail if this one takes off.

Not everyone can do a good job heat treating and JTknives JTknives will do a good job for them. If he will do the blades some might really be able to take advantage of the offer. I just got my basement powered so I'm probably good but I might be interested still. Ideally we can all make usable knives.

Back