20CV Rust Pits :(

Why does my BM Anthem have two tiny little ?rust pits? (brown spots) on the stone wash finish? Any ideas on how to remove these?Thanks in advanced Bladeforums!

Last edited:
I can’t speak to your blade in 20CV, but I had a stonewashed Elmax blade develop a few superficial rust spots. I took care of it with mineral oil and elbow grease. It turned out not to be “pitted” any deeper than other areas of the stonewash. (The stonewash was pretty heavy)

Last edited:
Stainless doesn't mean it won't stain. Tbo I can't tell from the picture that it's rust.

Usually if there's a spot to form rust, it can rust. A mirror polish blade has less area for rust to target so it may take it longer to rust on a polished surface.

As for removing rust on stonewash, I'm all ears to see if anyone has a solution.

I'd recommend keeping it dry and oil it if your concerned.

Stainless doesn't mean it won't stain. Tbo I can't tell from the picture that it's rust.

Usually if there's a spot to form rust, it can rust. A mirror polish blade has less area for rust to target so it may take it longer to rust on a polished surface.

As for removing rust on stonewash, I'm all ears to see if anyone has a solution.

I'd recommend keeping it dry and oil it if your concerned.
Yeah sorry the pic doesn’t do it any justice but it’s just little brown spots that all the sudden appeared almost like a “stain”...

I will try the TLC and mineral oil as BD_01 BD_01 has stated. Thanks fellas!

I will try the TLC and mineral oil as BD_01 BD_01 has stated. Thanks fellas!

I rubbed the mineral oil with my fingertips, probably fingernails a bit, and a rag. It took a little effort, not just like a simple rub down. Hope it works for you.

Are they pits or just spots/stains? The former would need to be ground out, the latter can be removed with flitz probably.

Could probably use Citric Acid or vinegar or vinegar baking soda solution. I see the use of that in lots of videos restoring rusty knives. I've not done myself.

Bar Keepers Friend powder, mixed to a paste with some water and applied with a Q-tip to the spots, works well on these. Let it sit for maybe ~30 seconds (no longer than ~60 seconds), and rinse it off. No rubbing, scrubbing or abrasive sanding required. The oxalic acid in BKF will dissolve oxides of iron ('rust', in other words), and it actually works as advertised.

If you leave the BKF in place too long on the steel, even stainless steel, the oxalic acid can etch the finish. That's why you don't want to leave it on there too long (more than 60 seconds), and you won't need to anyway. Those stains look pretty light, so it should come off easily.

I have a knife that looks a Dalmatian.:D
I can’t tell you but I believe is rust formation. Like, before to become rust itself just like mine.
My problem is that my knife is a knife of every day use or day yes day not use and I can’t see any reason to rust.
Every day I store it dry without oil (I use to use mineral) cuz is a kitchen knife.
No other blade of mine stays that way.
Im in shame to post this picture, but we are here to learn, so... here we go:
PSR4Ykm.jpg

I agree with mo2. Is stainless not stainfree steel.
Years ago I catch a rusted plow disc (welded the role) and let at the garden (if my memories don’t fail) and the rain full it until the edge. 3 days after it was just rub my hand and the rust where gone. I’ll try this again with this knife.

Are they pits or just spots/stains? The former would need to be ground out, the latter can be removed with flitz probably.
Just little surface stains man, but my OCD is getting the better of me haha.
Bar Keepers Friend powder, mixed to a paste with some water and applied with a Q-tip to the spots, works well on these. Let it sit for maybe ~30 seconds (no longer than ~60 seconds), and rinse it off. No rubbing, scrubbing or abrasive sanding required. The oxalic acid in BKF will dissolve oxides of iron ('rust', in other words), and it actually works as advertised.

If you leave the BKF in place too long on the steel, even stainless steel, the oxalic acid can etch the finish. That's why you don't want to leave it on there too long (more than 60 seconds), and you won't need to anyway. Those stains look pretty light, so it should come off easily.
Awesome advice Obsessed with Edges Obsessed with Edges ! I have BKF under my sink now and will try this technique once I’m off work today! I’ll keep you guys posted.

I was looking for BKF powder but I found 2 different kind. One say in blue (just lick a stick) at top “removes rust” another version I saw says “great for stainless steel” is it the same?
Thanks.

I was looking for BKF powder but I found 2 different kind. One say in blue (just lick a stick) at top “removes rust” another version I saw says “great for stainless steel” is it the same?
Thanks.

Not sure which products you're referring to.

This one (pictured below) is what I use and recommend; it's their standard oxalic acid-based powdered version:
bkf-cleanser-polish-iso.png

Well, I live in Brazil, so I’ll have to import the BKF, but looking at eBay there was 2 kinds:
And sorry, it wasn’t written on blue stick. Actually is red stick shape at top.
N9cboSM.jpg

ZPZmwFu.jpg

Edit. By the way. Submerge my knife on water for 3 days doesn’t help to clean the rust just like worked on carbon steel plow disc.

Last edited:
e56PyCr.jpg

The blemish showing up in the middle of my Endura VTS-55 BLADE won't budge even after using BKF (twice)? I previously used scotch brite to rub on it as a stand-alone attempt and did not budge. Maybe the blemish is not rust but something else? The squiggly lines you see on the blade is from the q-tip, or cat hair :eek:

Last edited:
Back