22inch Ganga Ram edge damage

20190310-183640.jpg
First time out. 2-2.5 inch limbs. :( I dont understand why the edge rolled. Is this fixable?
20190310-183514.jpg
20190310-183613.jpg

Last edited:
This appears to be a heat treating issue. I would imagine that H.I. would make this right. If the usage was "normal" that caused this then No, I wouldn't try to fix this.

I was able to straighten it out some with the chakma but it still has a definite ripple. Concerned about it since i wasnt chopping hard at all. Im guessing next time i use it it will just happen again. :(

Brass hammer and light taps smoothed it out more. Its definitely not as strong as my ak or cak. I was gonna take it camping this weekend too since its supposed to be such a monster chopper.

It's possible that the edge hit a small pebble that got embedded in the crotch of the tree when it was a sapling. You might not see it afterward if it was dislodged or pulverized by the chop.

Other than that, I suggest that you try one more chopping session with the blade, maybe in a more controlled environment, to see if the edge will roll again for no good reason.

Next step would be to ask Yangdu for a replacement or refund. She is very accommodating in these matters.

A huge blade like that strikes with enormous force. If you happen to hit something unusually hard, the edge might be more likely to roll than with a smaller blade that has a similar edge.

First chop, different tree, rolled some again after i had it mostly straightened out. Im bummed, i saved up for quite a while for this one since i was ordering several other things too. My 20inch 40oz cak just laughed at the tree. I sent Auntie a email with pictures earlier. Im sure she will respond when she checks it. She has always responded to everything ive sent. By far the best customer service anywhere

Last edited:
Time to email Yangdu. Explain the whole thing. She always makes good on these problems. If you just want a refund, let her know.

Since you waited a long time for this one, you might want the refund, but Yangdu might have something equivalent to offer you. It seems unlikely that there's another 22" GR available, but you never know.

Sadly i really want a Ganga Ram. I love the idea of a big super chopper. Plus its what brought me to H.I. in the first place after reading Monster Hunter International years ago.

I think Aunti would make this good. It looks like a heat treat issue from what I can see and is very very rare from my experience. It will happen again if you "fix" it again and go at it again. I could be wrong but from your pics it looks like it happened at the hardest tempered part of the blade. Likely failure at that part of the blade would normally be a chip but even that is rare on HI products. Kami had a bad day or for whatever reason it should not be rolling on the sweet spot of the blade. Sometimes one can roll an edge by chopping in front of the belly near the tip or behind and even into the recurved part of the blade but if I were you id just contact Yangdu and see what she can do to replace it and make ya happy. Im pretty sure Ganga Ram is made to chop and it needs to! A 22 inch Ganga Ram is the first blade I ever wanted from HI but i never got one. Instead I got a few hundred? other khul knives and still dont have one but im happy as a clam Keep us updated and have some patience and you will be taken care of.

I have no doubt she will. My 20inch cak will more than do the job this weekend, but ya know how it is with showing off new toys. Im taking my new 509 tactical with me as well to play with. I waited years to buy this and kept adding money to the GR fund for almost 6 months. If i have to wait a bit, then ill wait a bit. At least ive got others! Now to keep from ordering anything for a few days so nothing comes in while im gone! At 5 foot 11 240lbs of retired still fit powerlifter, (still lifting heavy though) I have a draw towards large blades! :)

Impressive. I used to lift weights till I screwed up my back, but never power lifting. I was thinking that a 22" Ganga Ram would be pretty hard to handle, but not for you.

This 20" GR weighs in at 45 oz. I imagine a 22" GR would run over 60 oz.

GRS20in-Purna45oz-01cr.JPG

Send the GRS back to HI for replacement. Right now I do not have one in stock but I will send you the replacement one as soon as shipment from Nepal arrives in Reno.

Sorry for the blade problem.

Be patient. One of the kamis will probably have to make another one for you. I'd be surprised if they have another 22" GR just waiting to be shipped. They might have a forged blade in the works that just needs a handle and a polish, if you're lucky. But worth the wait, and meanwhile you have other blades to chop with.

I hope the kamis test the next one before they ship it to Yangdu. I think that each kami is supposed to test his own blades, but I suspect that they don't always, human nature being what it is.

Back