$250 for a taiwan knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my problem is that I wasnt looking at it as a knife made with premium materials to high quality standards. I was looking at it as $400 MSRP taiwan knife. Thats all I saw. And for a period all I was open to discussing. And I will fully admit. If this was a Taiwan knife, at $200 MSRP with a street price of $120 but had Aus8 blade steel and a steel frame handle then I probably would have not even batted an eyelash. I think my shell shock was from the fact that I just wasnt prepared to see a $400MSRP on an imported Taiwan Knife yet. Now when really being able to look at this with a clear head if the quality is as good as guys say it is and these materials as nice as we all ready know they are then i think its price accordingly. I just wasnt ready for it. I cant really explain why I as the consumer that I am are more open to buying a product of lesser materials at a lesser price if its asian made over one of higher cost but albeit better materials. Maybe its just because that is how it worked for so many years and no that that is changing Im having a hard time acclimating to that change.

If you want to spread them, you need one of the older D3 trainers that had the solid blade. The new trainers with the ventilated blades simply don't work. :(

Peanut butter or jelly?
Or Nutella?
These are the truly important questions.;)

If you want to spread them, you need one of the older D3 trainers that had the solid blade. The new trainers with the ventilated blades simply don't work. :(

That's true.
But the new trainers would work better as a whisk.:)

A fixed profit margin applied to every product?...how many of you understand business?

A fixed profit margin for product type (e.g. sprint run, G10, ZDP vs. standard, FRN, VG-10) is more believable. Even then, many companies fix the margin on the overall cost, thus there is a higher margin for things that are produced in smaller numbers.

Maximizing profit is not "evil"...it's good business. You can do this by price, by managing costs, by volume, or by all three. The way a company sets prices and the profit a company makes on a specific product are often some of the most closely held business secrets of any firm.

Perhaps the above post is not a response to mine but there are allusions to what I wrote throughout. Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I read the way meanings get perverted in this forum. Fortunately, I'm usually not involved. I said I think they are certainly NOT "evil." And the many posts prior to mine hoisting up the flipper pricing as fair are the posts claiming margins are fixed.

I am glad that Spyderco is profitable. I enjoy their products and hope that others may also for many years to come.

If my reading of your post is incorrect and your text relative to mine is one big coincidence, I apologize in advance for mis-reading your meaning.

Side note:
"e.g" = "ergo" = "therefore".
"i.e" = "id est" = "that is"
In English and in Latin and in business. I think that not many people understand that. There is so much for all of us to learn.

Side side note:
Nutella is delicious. :)

All of this Taiwan stuff aside, the real truth of the matter is that this knife will have a $400.00 MSRP and sell for $250.00 to those lucky enough to get in early and when they are all on back order, some people that got in early will sell this knife for $300-$400 on here or the auction site and claim "that is what I paid for it". Then when production catches up with demand, you will see LNIB going for $200-$225 and users going for even less.

ITS NOT THAT ITS MADE OVERSEAS. ITS BECAUSE ITS NOT PRICED IN ACCORDANCE WITH A PRODUCT MADE IN TAIWAN. Got it? probably .

and you are the expert on what the price a product made in taiwan should be? not a specific factory in taiwan, apparently, but a blanket over the whole country. please, expand on that. seriously. you want to make that statement, back it up. got it? because thats why youve gotten such flak over this, you look at taiwan and think hey, if its made there, it should and can only be cheap...why is that? ignorance sounds like the front runner for that explanation.

he thought it should cost less because he was comparing it to a ZT 560 which is a bigger knife, made with premium materials and with more machine time involded doing all the 3D texturing and contours and they make it in the USA and still manage to charge $260 for it. ZT is capable of amazing things that spyderco just can't do, they would have to charge $400 for the same thing according to the posts in this thread.

I know taiwan has the best quality of all the spydercos but I still wont be buying it, ill stick to the US made spydies because I like knowing an american with a job made it. I know i'm just crazy and nobody should care about where the things they buy were made, being commited to the country you live in is foolish and employing americans is bad for business. ;)

he thought it should cost less because he was comparing it to a ZT 560 which is a bigger knife, made with premium materials and with more machine time involded doing all the 3D texturing and contours and they make it in the USA and still manage to charge $260 for it. ZT is capable of amazing things that spyderco just can't do, they would have to charge $400 for the same thing according to the posts in this thread.

I know taiwan has the best quality of all the spydercos but I still wont be buying it, ill stick to the US made spydies because I like knowing an american with a job made it. I know i'm just crazy and nobody should care about where the things they buy were made, being commited to the country you live in is foolish and employing americans is bad for business. ;)

you do understand that is very american to do business with other countries? we have been doing that, trade, and even outsourcing, since our founding. its been a big part of our success. its just being ignorant to think that this is a new thing, or a horrible thing. their used to be far more american founded american ran knife companies, and americans stopped supporting them.

zero tolerance is owned by a japanese company that reaps the benefits of chinese made products just as spyderco does.

Just a thought and not an attack on your preferences, but many , if not all, of the components/materials of a taichung spyderco are sourced from american companies AFAIK. You'd still be supporting American jobs by supporting the manufacture of the materials. Is it more patriotic to own something american -made that is comprised of components and materials from foreign vendors? Serious question, to which I don't have an answer.

Some of my best friends are Taiwanese.
It pains me to no end when the country gets irresponsibly and irrationally saddled with the "cheap crap" assumption/reputation.

I dare say that a great many Americans could learn a thing or two about hard work, respect, and discipline from our Taiwanese friends.

I see the OP as nothing but flame bait and misguided prejudice, which is the LAST thing that this forum needs.

-nate

It pains me to no end when the country gets irresponsibly and irrationally saddled with the "cheap crap" assumption/reputation.

I dare say that a great many Americans could learn a thing or two about hard work, respect, and discipline from our Taiwanese friends.

I see the OP as nothing but flame bait and misguided prejudice, which is the LAST thing that this forum needs.

-nate

If you read the thread, PURPLE has had a change of attitude for the most part...I think we have established that Taiwan's quality is very high, and they live a quality lifestyle much like the USA.

Its been repeated multiple times in the thread.

I am actually starting to feel a little bad for PURPLE, LOL.......you guys just keep slapping him........:p

and you are the expert on what the price a product made in taiwan should be? not a specific factory in taiwan, apparently, but a blanket over the whole country. please, expand on that. seriously. you want to make that statement, back it up. got it? because thats why youve gotten such flak over this, you look at taiwan and think hey, if its made there, it should and can only be cheap...why is that? ignorance sounds like the front runner for that explanation.

You do realize (you should) that the conversation has taken a turn for the better. I have apologized and changed my tone. Id appreciate at least the latter from you.

-nate

I see you got as far as finding something to disagree with. Your a little late to the party sir. This is no longer an argument and has moved on to a discussion. Your comments are a perfect example of why people should read the entire thread before commenting.

If you read the thread, PURPLE has had a change of attitude for the most part...I think we have established that Taiwan's quality is very high, and they live a quality lifestyle much like the USA.

I am actually starting to feel a little bad for PURPLE, LOL.......you guys just keep slapping him........:p

Thankyou. And again to you and rest of the forum, I apologize again.

Last edited:
Hi Purple,

Interesting thread and yes, I read every post. Obviously a great deal of knowledge has been shared in this thread. Good for you. Pleased that it's on a Spyderco forum.

For those that choose only to purchase American, or won't buy Asian or ? is perfectlly understandable. I also have my own "rules" as to what I buy. I'm a proud American and we always read the labels, especially for food.

It also seems like you have had some or your thoughts adjusted, which is also good. If we could make them less expensive, we would, and we could sell more of them. ;) Our Golden factory is making 300% more than we were just 5 years ago, and still growing.

I will say that most of the money/profit on these knives go to Americans. The steel is expensive as is shipping it overseas. Both the funds for the steel and shipping go to Americans. The design is US and some of those funds are royalties which will go to the American designers. The Distributor and dealer also make a large share of those funds, and they too have expenses. Duties go to the American govt.

I have no problem answering your questions, and I have no reason to lie. As you have learned, there is much more to a "Taiwan" knife than you originally thought on your first post. That's what forums are/or should be about.

sal

Hey PURPLE, sorry for jumping down your throat like that. Maybe I should look in the mirror and see the prejudice and hastiness-to-condemn in myself.
Over half of my Spydies are Taiwanese models, and I have friends over there, so I guess I start seeing red at the mere mention of the country in any sort of negative light.

Again, I extend my appologies for fanning the bait flames.
Here's to a long and happy life of discovering new and suprising things on this forum.

-nate

Hi Purple,

Interesting thread and yes, I read every post. Obviously a great deal of knowledge has been shared in this thread. Good for you. Pleased that it's on a Spyderco forum.

For those that choose only to purchase American, or won't buy Asian or ? is perfectlly understandable. I also have my own "rules" as to what I buy. I'm a proud American and we always read the labels, especially for food.

It also seems like you have had some or your thoughts adjusted, which is also good. If we could make them less expensive, we would, and we could sell more of them. ;) Our Golden factory is making 300% more than we were just 5 years ago, and still growing.

I will say that most of the money/profit on these knives go to Americans. The steel is expensive as is shipping it overseas. Both the funds for the steel and shipping go to Americans. The design is US and some of those funds are royalties which will go to the American designers. The Distributor and dealer also make a large share of those funds, and they too have expenses. Duties go to the American govt.

I have no problem answering your questions, and I have no reason to lie. As you have learned, there is much more to a "Taiwan" knife than you originally thought on your first post. That's what forums are/or should be about.

sal

Thank you very much for addressing this yourself. That alone is a testament to the lengths you will go for your company and to protect its good name and I have a lot of respect for that. I also have a lot of respect for the fact that despite my tone earlier in the thread you were able to look past that and not involve yourself in the bickering. Good on you for being above that. And I also extend my apologies to you for how I handled myself on this issue. I think the best thing I could have done, and what I should have done was came here and asked questions before pointing fingers. Consider it a lesson learned.

Hey PURPLE, sorry for jumping down your throat like that. Maybe I should look in the mirror and see the prejudice and hastiness-to-condemn in myself.
Over half of my Spydies are Taiwanese models, and I have friends over there, so I guess I start seeing red at the mere mention of the country in any sort of negative light.

Again, I extend my appologies for fanning the bait flames.
Here's to a long and happy life of discovering new and suprising things on this forum.

-nate

Thank you. But honestly I think I had it comming. But thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back