2nd Philippine Cutting Competition (PCC) photos

The 2nd Philippine Cutting Competition (PCC) was just held today at Cebu, Philippines. Quoting from the PCC's Facebook page:

The Philippine Cutting Competition (PCC) is a growing sport in the Filipino community. It is patterned after BladeSports International Inc., a non-profit corporation based in Texas, USA formed to promote knife safety and inform and educate the public with regard to the safe use of a knife as a tool. This corporation has been on-going for around 30 years already and is very popular within the knife community.

Quoting Bladesports.org, “The concept of one blade outperforming another can be dated back in history to the origin of the first edged tools. Archaeological findings have proven that flint and obsidian were traded from one region to another due to their superior knapping properties and cutting ability.”

This is how the idea of the Philippine Cutting Competition originated. The purpose of the competition is two-fold: to determine which custom or production blades are of quality as well as advocating knife safety and proper maintenance. We would also like to promote the local knifemaking industry by way of exposing collectors to local custom blades, help improve the quality of custom knives produced in the Philippines and introduce other blade profiles aside from the popular balisong or butterfly knife to Filipinos.

Enjoy the photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/yRP9194hXzssffsB7

Traditional Filipino sword fight demonstrated also here:

Pretty cool stuff.

Vz8SQZZ.jpg

DdtBoCK.jpg

Super cool, I like the variety of knife shapes used.

Pretty cool stuff.

Vz8SQZZ.jpg

DdtBoCK.jpg

Thanks! The local knife group that co-hosted the event was full of talented blade smiths and apprentices

Super cool, I like the variety of knife shapes used.

Yes, coming from various sources in a country with 7,700++ islands and hundreds of dialects!

:) I've got to love a culture that values the blade so much ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

And its getting stronger and stronger with younger generation taking on blade smithing!

Thanks for posting this. My father fought in the Philippine campaign in WWII and absolutely loved the Philippine people--this thread reminded me of Dad and some of the stories he would tell of how tough and determined they were in those desperate times.

Thanks for posting this. My father fought in the Philippine campaign in WWII and absolutely loved the Philippine people--this thread reminded me of Dad and some of the stories he would tell of how tough and determined they were in those desperate times.
Thank you to your father and servicemen and women like him who helped liberate our country from Japan in WWII. We are forever grateful!

Back