2x48 Grinder

I don't really have room for a 2x72 in my shop. I need something portable. I've seen a couple of 2x48's for sale in Europe that are essentially shrunken down 2x72's. It's ideal. Anyone know if any are for sale in the US? Google only wants to bring up ones like the Dayton one.

This one that I found in the UK.
http://alecsteeleblacksmith.com/steelegrinder/steele-grinder-2x48

I saw another one in Europe on YouTube.

Last edited:
Check out the Coote grinder, they have them in 2x72 and 2x48. Also would have a small footprint to make moving it easier. Just have to provide your own motor.

~Paul
My YT Channel
Lsubslimed

... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

I see that you can even get a small wheel attachment for it. Very interesting. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Coote, Kalamazoo, the 3 wheel burrkings (expensive), Baldor (expensive) and the radius master (expensive)

^^as cool as that little thing is there is almost no other info on it except for Skelton’s videos.

I like the idea of a 2x48. I understand the positives of the the 72” belt but a smaller footprint would be great.

Edit to add the steele one isn’t his design. I think the austailian mad scientist ewan Gibson designed that.

Www.84engineering.com/au

I have an original Radiusmaster (blech) and a KMG. Unless you are short on "aisle" space so that the longer tooling arm of a 2 x 72 is a problem, get the larger grinder. When I bought the Radiusmaster, there was a 2x72 Burr King right next to it. I fell for the whizz bang. Had I bought the Burr King instead, I would have saved myself a lot of money on the KMG a year to so later.

Grainger's Dayton 3/4hp 2x48 is what I have. About $300. I love it but then I was hand filing prior.

Here's the other one I found, although I like the Alec Steele one better.

I have this grinder coming in soon. What I like about it is it has a 9” platen most 48” grinders have about 6” platens. Also it can be run as a 72”. It Also has a harden platen and a large work rest if that is what you like. It comes with a ABB motor as well. The platen has changed some so it has two bolts. It is also much cheaper. Then the one Alex sold. Can’t wait to get it.

Last edited:
I have this grinder coming in soon. What I like about it is it has a 9” platen most 48” grinders have about 6” platens. Also it can be run as a 72”. It Also has a harden platen and a large work rest if that is what you like. It comes with a ABB motor as well. The platen has changed some so it has two bolts. It is also much cheaper. Then the one Alex sold. Can’t wait to get it.

How much was it with shipping to the US?

Complete grinder with 1 1/2 hp ABB motor, 2-72” tooling arms, and small wheel attachment with small wheels and tool arm with shipping was under 900.

Last edited:
It's not a 2x48, but I had a polar bear forge 2x72 that had a very small footprint and was probably as light as you can make a steel 2x72.

Where did you order it from?

Complete grinder with 1 1/2 hp ABB motor, 2-72” tooling arms, and small wheel attachment with small wheels and tool arm with shipping was under 900.00.

Very interesting. I reached out to his US rep and the is what I received "A 2x48 with Work Rest and flat platen would be $925.00. The small wheel sets will be available in mid January, Nick wants to re design them asthetically."

Maybe you got a good deal on an early model.

I believe I ordered mine before he had a rep here. I went through Nick the owner. Who is his rep?

Back