2x48 Grinder

Nick did mention his material costs would be going up soon that is why I ordered then. Now that he has a US rep I guess would raise the cost as well.

I may try and make one. Doesn't look too hard if I buy the platen and wheels from Oregon Blade Maker. I have some extruded aluminum multi use bars laying around and I think that those might do well for the tooling arm. All that's really left is the belt tensioner and buying a plate for the motor and everything to mount to. I need to find a local supplier for metal though.

to answer your question on the sling, it isn't any slower than any other 2x72. the motor is 1725rpm on mine you can go to a faster motor or vfd it. it is a constant speed grinder if you build it that way. I have the combo and wheel slings they work wonderful. my combo is a constant 1725 with a 4 inch drive wheel the wheel sling is set up with a vfd and goes as fast or slow as you want. these are kit build yourself. you need to supply wheels motor belt and gas spring. they aren't hard to build and are as good as you could want unless you want to grind a mack truck into a toothpick.

Now that I'm into my build I have a question. I can either use a gas spring to press upward on the swing arm with the tracking wheel to tension the belt or pull down with a spring on the opposite side of the swing arm. I've noticed that most production grinders use the gas spring. How important is the difference?

Now that I'm into my build I have a question. I can either use a gas spring to press upward on the swing arm with the tracking wheel to tension the belt or pull down with a spring on the opposite side of the swing arm. I've noticed that most production grinders use the gas spring. How important is the difference?
I have build and use only one belt grinder for now and I use gas spring so i don t know difference .But I m car mechanic :) if you take out the shock absorbers from your car driving only on spring is almost impossible . Shock absorbers absorbing jolts and vibrations ...... things that we have in belt grinder .Yes , I think that gas spring is better solution for belt grinder .

Couple of pics of the work so far. I mounted the VFD to the motor. Also made a wooden test piece of the main side. Final photo is the Aluminum replacement for the plywood side. I need to order a small gas spring to push up on the belt tensioner.
MH3s1IO.jpg

RrijKUW.jpg

8Ja4iMo.jpg

Man it looks great. Your gonna run into a problem however and let me save you weeks of stress and more than a few grey hairs(I’m only 30!!!) you gotta raise your pivot point to where your tracking pivot is parallel to the base of your bench otherwise no matter what you do it won’t track.

It changes from a two dimension to a 3 dimension.

I built a 2x72 using just a 3/4” plate and tried to simplify by just attaching the arm to the plate just like you did. Gotta have a second piece to raise the tracking arm.

Edit nvm I’ll just link my ig post about it hope that’s ok I have no idea how to post pictures sense photobucket got aids.

https://instagram.com/p/BZC_eRZBNcS/

So you have an arm go vertically up from the back and then have the moving arm with the tracking wheel come forward horizontally? Do you have a picture of that one?

It is a nice and clean build though. I like the legs that you made for it. I'm using the motor as a base and will probably bolt it to a 3/4 piece of ply just so that I can clamp it to my bench if I like.

So you have an arm go vertically up from the back and then have the moving arm with the tracking wheel come forward horizontally? Do you have a picture of that one?

It is a nice and clean build though. I like the legs that you made for it. I'm using the motor as a base and will probably bolt it to a 3/4 piece of ply just so that I can clamp it to my bench if I like.
;)

724lEB8.jpg

Better than I expected. Thanks. I'll post pics with updates. I had to order a shorter gas spring today. The 10 inch that I had was way too long. Shortest I could find was 7 inch, so I hope I can make that work. Hopefully I'll get more time to work on it this weekend.

What weight did you get? 30-40 will work great if straight up and down or a little angle.

I’m stoked to see pictures as I’ve been thinking about a 2x48 myself

What weight did you get? 30-40 will work great if straight up and down or a little angle.

I’m stoked to see pictures as I’ve been thinking about a 2x48 myself

Russians do a lot of 2X48 .Watch some video like this one on tube .................You'll pick up some good idea ;)

Two more pics. I bought a 40 lbs gas spring. It comes tomorrow. I cut a couple of pieces for the arm tonight and clamped them on.

I think that the biggest issue that I have is that I bought a platen that's normally on a 2x72. I like that Russian one. I wish people in the US wanted 2x48's. It really won't take up too much room when I'm done.

n3R0TUx.jpg

NVz9RJC.jpg

Make the vertical arm tall enough so when the gas shock is under tension the arm with the tracking assembly is almost 90 degrees to the arm

You can always make a smaller flat platen down the road. Not too difficult since you have one already to model it after.

Are you making sure all your wheels are aligned? Use the center of each wheel cause your drive and tracking are thicker then platen wheels.

Two more pics. I bought a 40 lbs gas spring. It comes tomorrow. I cut a couple of pieces for the arm tonight and clamped them on.

I think that the biggest issue that I have is that I bought a platen that's normally on a 2x72. I like that Russian one. I wish people in the US wanted 2x48's. It really won't take up too much room when I'm done.

n3R0TUx.jpg

NVz9RJC.jpg
Maybe 2 x 42 belt will be better solution for this grinder ?

Thanks for the tip on the wheel alignment. The drive wheel is a quarter inch wider than the other three. That would have messed things up for me.

I think 2x48 is fine. ( and I already bought belts in that length because since I needed one to put it together, why not buy everything, right?) The pic above doesn't have a spring pushing up on the arm, so it looks loose. I've been playing with it and the belt is the right length for what I have. I just have to figure out how to fit the gas spring into there with everything else. I also may need to lose the nice handle for pushing down or just use a smaller one. I can't put it away from the motor and if I have it on the motor side, it hits the VFD with where I have that mounted.

This is actually turning out to be a lot of fun to build. Lot's of little problems to solve.

Back