2x72 grinder question

SRWeldon

Platinum Member
So I was finally able to buy a 2x72 grinder but now that I have it I'm disappointed but not sure if its something i did or the grinder. I've got it all set up and the tracking is good on it but as soon as I try to do any grinding if I push just hard enough to get any sparks so just a little bit of pressure the belt flys left or right and in a couple cases its come flying off. I'm hesitant to mention the brand but it is a good brand so its not some knock off. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ok, I look into that this evening. Here is something that I've observed while trying to look at pictures of assembled models online. And with this observations I'm not sure if I just cant see it that well in the pictures online but my wheel that is on the tension arm has a good amount of curve to it. The belt doesn't sit flat on it, each end is up off the wheel. Does that seem right?

So I was finally able to buy a 2x72 grinder but now that I have it I'm disappointed but not sure if its something i did or the grinder. I've got it all set up and the tracking is good on it but as soon as I try to do any grinding if I push just hard enough to get any sparks so just a little bit of pressure the belt flys left or right and in a couple cases its come flying off. I'm hesitant to mention the brand but it is a good brand so its not some knock off. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Are you pulling down on the shock or spring and holding it down while you pull the platen forward and tightening it in place? Seems like a silly question but I've seen several guys not do it on their first kmg style 2x72.

Ok, I look into that this evening. Here is something that I've observed while trying to look at pictures of assembled models online. And with this observations I'm not sure if I just cant see it that well in the pictures online but my wheel that is on the tension arm has a good amount of curve to it. The belt doesn't sit flat on it, each end is up off the wheel. Does that seem right?
That would surprise me. What model grinder is it? Inbox it to me if you don't want to reply public. Not trying to bash any particular model just help a fellow out.

The tracking wheel is normally crowned as a tensioned belt always wants to ride on top of the crown. Bandsaws use the same principle.

You likely do not have enough tension.

Are you pulling down on the shock or spring and holding it down while you pull the platen forward and tightening it in place? Seems like a silly question but I've seen several guys not do it on their first kmg style 2x72.
No I'm not. I didn't know that I was supposed to. So pull down on the tension arm and pull out on the flat platten or any other attachment to get the tension set up right on the belt. Then as I go from belt to belt using the same attachment just use the tension arm to release the belt?

That would surprise me. What model grinder is it? Inbox it to me if you don't want to reply public. Not trying to bash any particular model just help a fellow out.
Just to clarify, the curve or crown is normal. The belt should conform to that curve once sufficient tension is applied.

I think you guys have answered my questions. It seems i most likely dont have near enough tension on the belt. If the belt should conform to the wheel then that is clearly the case. I will try this tonight and post up my results. Thanks guys!

I think you guys have answered my questions. It seems i most likely dont have near enough tension on the belt. If the belt should conform to the wheel then that is clearly the case. I will try this tonight and post up my results. Thanks guys!
I make short video for you ........You need to tighten the belt something like this ...

Back