~3" benchmade? (non mini-grip)

Well, right now I have 2 primary hand EDC knives to switch between (having just sold my fullsize ritter grip), which are kind of at opposite ends of the size spectrum, a benchmade AFCK (4" or so blade), and a camillus sizzle (2.5" assisted opener), and am looking for something kind of in between the two.

I'll admit that I would like this to be fairly sheeple friendly, so that I can carry it around while traveling to fencing tournaments and such (mostly in the US I'm guessing, but who knows) without having to worry much about laws or the airport not liking it and such.

The reason I decided that I didn't like the full size rittergrip, and wasn't using it too much, was that the blade grind was perhaps a bit too high for me causing it to not have a nice pointy tip on it like the AFCK and sizzle made it of less use for things like opening mail and other random packages and such where the ability to stick the point in narrow spaces is helpful.

So basically, These are the things I'm looking for:

~3in blade (slightly less then 3in. might be best, since it seems like some states and such draw the line at 3)
-Axis lock
-Blade steel isn't super important, but I'd be interested in higher end if possible
-Left handed tip up carry option
-fairly pointy tip, similar to the afck or sizzle
~$100 tops if possible (if something perfect shows up at a higher one, I guess I could save for a while longer, but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel about carrying it)

I looked around new graham, but didn't see anything that really fit, so I thought I'd toss the question out there and see what you guys came up with.

Luckylefty01 said:
causing it to not have a nice pointy tip on it like the AFCK and sizzle made it of less use for things like opening mail and other random packages and such where the ability to stick the point in narrow spaces is helpful.
I don't know about the lefty carry, but the 705 is one of Benchmade's greatest!
Although, with a little a time, it's pretty easy to give yourself a sharper point with a file or diamond stone.

look at the 707. the handle is a tad on the small side. meets all your requirements. 154cm steel

That looks like the just the one I was looking for:).

Anybody who prefers the old 705 to the newer 707 (assuming you could find one of the old ones somewhere)? or anybody with any negative things to say on these?

I may have to see if I can throw together some money to buy this one sooner rather then later (I was hoping to put it off for a while, since I usually work mostly during the school year:p)

edit: Looking around, the 705-401 looks quite appealing, anybody have anything to say about this knife compared to the others?

wwells20 said:
look at the 707. the handle is a tad on the small side. meets all your requirements. 154cm steel

The 707 gets my vote, should meet all your needs

GarageBoy said:
960 is close?

Not too close to 100$ ;-)

Very nice knife, but not everyone must like its handle. I would take it definitely in the hand before buying.

Much more of my friends like 705/707 handle.

You can also wait for the Mini Presidio, it should come +/- in September.

I'm waiting on the new 525 Mini-Presidio. This one may not have everything you're looking for, but it still looks very promising. Have to wait and see what the exact specs on it are.

I've seen 960s for as low as 120, and if you can appreciate a beautiful knife, it's worth the extra dollars. That's going to be my recommendation. 3 inches, D2 steel, axis lock, and stunning. Might be my favorite benchmade folder.

I've seen the switchback, a rather gorgeous 3.5 incher with S30V for as low as 140...that's significantly out of your price range, but I'd really recommend considering this one. A lot of people find the ergonomics and blade style (reverse tanto--kind of a cleaver looking thing going on) hit or miss, so try one in the store.

This isn't exactly a minigrip, but I love my D2 Cabela's minigriptilian.

It's pretty much identical except it's only available in black and olive drab, the blade has a matte black finish (which I hate, personally....) and the blade is D2 (which I love!).

i516109sq02.jpg

mathman said:
just curious...why did you sell your ritter grip?
I sold the rittergrip because it wasn't getting used very much, when I wanted a small blade the sizzle made it into my pocket, and the (somewhat fewer times) I wanted a large blade, it seemed like the 806d2 just did what I wanted better and was more appealing, and I liked the pointier point on it for things like opening shrink wrapped stuff and mail (at the cost of some slicing ability, obviously).

Plus, at the time, I thought that if I was going to buy another knife (leatherman charge, it's on it's way), I should sell one of my current ones, just because I have spent 4 or 5 hundred plus dollars on knives in the past 8 or 9 months, and I don't start working again till september (I work during the school year), but as you can see, no all bets are off:p (although now I can buy two knives^^).

I'll take another look at those alternate options suggested by you guys and see what I think.

I find my 960 fits my hand much, much better than my 705 does, but that's individual - many people love the 705.

If you're serious about going under 3", you need to look at the Benchmade 770 series (771, etc). Full MSRP on the aluminum handled ones was $150, you can find them for around $100. Of course the carbon fibre ones are nicer, as is Limited Edition in green G10, but those run a little higher.

Right now my 960 is my sheeple friendly axis. The 705 and 770 are a hair smaller - the 960 has a 3.25" blade - but the 960 looks small enough to not arouse comment, while being hand filling enough that for me it's a true gent's tactical in way the 705 and 770 aren't - they just don't lock into my grip solidly enough.

The 960 puts me in mind of a mini-Ares, something I've wanted for a long time.

By all means, if at all possible, try to hold your choices in your hand before you pick one and buy it. It's the only way to really know.

fudo said:
I really like the BM 440 :thumbup:

Great knife, but he saids he wants an Axis, right?

I'd love to see an Axis 440 the way I'd love to see an Axis 425. :)

And then, an Axis Skirmish, ideally in the same size as the custom original. I mean, as long as we're wishing. :D :D :D :D

Back