~3 inch fixed blade options

Well, I have an esee3 and it is honestly too big for me to edc comfortably.
The knife that I will edc would be used for opening boxes, food prep, small bushcraft chores like LIGHT batonning to get to some dry wood , making feather sticks, and cleaning game.
AND for personal protection (hopefully not)

My esee 3 has been rusting very very easily, as I sweat alot, so 1095 I feel like it doesn't have enough corrosion resistance

Here are a few knives I've been looking at:

Izula 2
-pros :small lightweight good sheath easy to sharpen
-cons rusts easily, edge won't hold as long as, let's say s30v or D2
-blade may be too small for some tasks

Tops delta unit 3
Pros -Very tough , good edc size, easy enough to conceal , I can trust my life on this 1/4 inch slab of steel to to everything, drop point

Cons- too thick for slicing, too thick for cleaning game (I think?) 1095 rusts easily,

how is the edge retention ??

Bk24
Pros - Tough, easy to conceal , perfect thickness, blade length is great, Semi stainless, holds an edge long

Cons- so tough to sharpen, needs handle scales, no jimping (which I really would like)

Benchmade steep country ?
I don't know much about it.if any1 knows about it please fill me in

There are so many options.
I love the look of the tops delta 3 , but I'm afraid it will be too thick for a good edge. How is their HT??

REALLY needing some insight, and please suggest more than what I put up there if you have any more ideas.
Price limit 120

Thanks

I recently bought an Evans Companion, which I really like. The interesting thing: I had it sitting next to my esee3 and realized the blade length and curve are identical. The companion is shorter, so has a smaller belly, but otherwise it has the same edge length. S35v steel, g10 scales, solid thickness. I recommend it - but you'll have to look for on used market as Brian has stopped making (at least for a while). You can see more in his hosted section here on bf.

I recently bought an Evans Companion, which I really like. The interesting thing: I had it sitting next to my esee3 and realized the blade length and curve are identical. The companion is shorter, so has a smaller belly, but otherwise it has the same edge length. S35v steel, g10 scales, solid thickness. I recommend it - but you'll have to look for on used market as Brian has stopped making (at least for a while). You can see more in his hosted section here on bf.

Thanks ! I'll check it out !

Have you thought about the Buck 113?
Buck's heat treat on 420HC makes it a GREAT edc type steel in my experience, nice and compact, stain resistant, and way under your budget.

You mention cleaning game? it's primarily built as a hunting knife. It'll be golden for that task. I have been very tempted by the 113 because, aside from everything else, it has a very "old timey" classic Buck kinda look to it. It looks like something dad could have carried, so it doesn't spook the sheeple.

Have you thought about the Buck 113?
Buck's heat treat on 420HC makes it a GREAT edc type steel in my experience, nice and compact, stain resistant, and way under your budget.

You mention cleaning game? it's primarily built as a hunting knife. It'll be golden for that task. I have been very tempted by the 113 because, aside from everything else, it has a very "old timey" classic Buck kinda look to it. It looks like something dad could have carried, so it doesn't spook the sheeple.
I have not ! Looks like a pretty solid knife, how tough is 420HC? How would it compare to the izula 2 all around ?

Take a look at the LT Wright Patriot. If that is too small, the Bark River Mini Fox River is one of my favorite small fixed blades...it's a little over your price range unless you can get a deal; but well worth it.

I have not ! Looks like a pretty solid knife, how tough is 420HC? How would it compare to the izula 2 all around ?

420HC should compare pretty favorably to 1095 overall, especially since it is vastly more corrosion-resistant. It might be a little lower in terms of wear resistance, so slightly less edge retention, but the toughness on it should be pretty good still, and probably about the same as 1095, or maybe slightly lower (probably not enough to notice).

Buck does a very good job on their 420HC, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I have seen some people have issues with their S30V chipping though, so that might be something worth mentioning.

Maybe try a Blackjack 155 with canvas Micarta scales? Three inch blade, 154CM steel, comes with a nice sheath. Total will probably cost you around $110. Great little knife.

I can't speak from personal experience as I don't have a 113 to compare to my Izula 2. It gets very very positive reviews from those that have it.
As for Buck's 420HC, i can speak from personal experience. It takes a very keen edge, and seems to hold it well. I realize that's all very relative and tough to substantiate, but I have an Izula 2 and find that my Buck 110 at 17deg edges doesn't need to be sharpened any more frequently than my Izula at 20deg edge. The corrosion resistance is very very good too. I have yet to see a rust spot on the blade.

Comparing "all around" to the Izula, I'd expect it to be more "slicey" due to hollow grind and narrower edge, but would probably take a little less beating than the Izula. it also has a much more traditional look, and should save you about $30 vs. the Izula. I realize the 113 is waaaaay under budget for what you're asking, but may still be a very good option.

Maybe try a Blackjack 155 with canvas Micarta scales? Three inch blade, 154CM steel, comes with a nice sheath. Total will probably cost you around $110. Great little knife.

That would be high on my list as well.

You mentioned the BK-24. I do a pretty good job of sharpening knives on a bench stone and I have trouble with the BK-24. I just can't get it past "sharp", to very sharp where I want it.

If I EDC a small fixed blade, it's a Dozier companion in his very well designed horizontal sheath. You don't even know it's there.

Oh man I like the look of that knife ! Do you own it? If you do how does 154 cm compare to 1095? Or VG-10.?

Oh man I like the look of that knife ! Do you own it? If you do how does 154 cm compare to 1095? Or VG-10.?

I don't own one, but I'll be getting one soon. In terms of corrosion resistance, 154CM (a stainless steel) is superior to 1095, which is a high carbon steel.

Back