1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

3. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

30 Days Short of 3 Years.. The Long Wait

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by Hubmonkey, Apr 3, 2018.

1. mlmcasual

mlmcasual

Jun 10, 2013
    Interesting you bring this up, you are certainly not the first..
    Here is the thing.....
    In the past few years, I noticed a different breed of "fan" emerging that went beyond cheerleading or fanboyism and set off red flags of outright Shilling. By shilling I mean third party people (some that were selling their own knife accessories products) attacking honest critics, trying to bury criticism, and litigating ad nausea against self evident blatant credibility problems at SK. Fans promote, shills have talking points. Fans excuse, Shills litigate. I saw a few "fans" in the SK "community" that that really stood apart. It was this apparent Shilling that left a bad taste in my mouth and was the final inspiration to call off my GSO preorders and get a refund. The odd level of apparent shilling spooked me and frankly, looking around at other posts, I don't think i am alone here. I have to emphasize "looked" because without direct evidence, it's just impressions... but I do know that in an already questionable environment, even the appearance of third party shilling didn't help in the confidence.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  2. mlmcasual

mlmcasual

Jun 10, 2013
    Ok, Lets Talk about "Monthly Production Updates"

One of the things SK has done over the years is to include monthly "Production Updates" Contrary to the title, these are actually rhetorical superficial garbage that provide no actual progress or usefulness. SK has received a lot of undeserved credit for including those so called monthly updates. The ironic reality is those updates are NOT for the customer's benefit, they are for SK's benefit to string customers along indefinitely. For example, there will be meaningless superficial details on product X like,
    • GSO-4.1 and GSO-7/7 blanks are being fine tuned on the surface grinder.
    • Surface finishing GSO-4.1 blanks as they come off the surface grinder.
    Really?? "fine tuned on a surface grinder"....... beyond cringe worthy.
    But even SK eventually runs out of the superfluous BS steps to include and when they do they just start saying "We are shipping out X in regular batches" which is a statement of itself I have seen them stretch on for over a year.

I am bringing this subject up, because myself like many others used to give SK undeserved credit for the "updates" as keeping us informed. Nothing could be further from the truth. These so called "production updates" are just the opposite, designed not to inform but to deceive. I contend that had it NOT been(be) for those facade "updates", SK would have a much MUCH higher refund rate. A prepaid "customer" would not go three years with no product and zero communication whatsoever, they would have called in a refund way before that. And yet, substantively, the "production updates" are the same difference as zero communication. Thus SK found a way through the meaningless rhetorical facade of monthly "production updates" to fool people into thinking they were getting actual progress reports when in reality they were just being strung along.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  3. JJHollowman

JJHollowman

Jul 16, 2016
    Here at Survive, side-fumbling has been effectively retorbulated.

4. Hustra

Hustra

Sep 27, 2014
    You're right on the money with your comments Hubmonkey apart from not wanting Survive knives to continue. I just received the exact same knife after three and a bit years of waiting. I definitely would not have placed the order if I'd known it was going to take this long. Like you I stuck it out, although at times I thought I'd been had by some scam or another due to the time its taken.
    But now I have the knife, it is an absolute thing of beauty and I'm delighted with it! would I buy another Survive knife, absolutely NOT, I'd probably be dead and buried before it arrived.
    Good luck.

5. pwrdbycotn

pwrdbycotn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2015
    And Survive? outsourced their labor to Idaho. All they have to do is fit handles and sharpen, which seems to be a monumental task for them. It’s probably the helmet that keeps falling down in front of Guy’s eyes, making it hard for him to get anything done.

JohnWE and sharp thoughts like this.
  6. Sagemode

Sagemode

Jul 10, 2017
    It was meant to be a joke in reference to the clauses Survive uses ordering their knives. The 90 day ship date is over 90 days because when you check the box it allows them to take over 90 days. The no deliver times clause is often stated by them but then they say once production starts they should be sent in 3-6 months. People don't focus on the word "Should". That is the game they play so I did the same. It also was meant for a few people who know who they are and draw information out. The GSO 5.1 has been in the start production soon phase for over 2 years going on 3 . Every single model they have on order are not any closer to being shipped out. One only has to go to the BBB to see their D rating to understand not to trust everything they say. The ATL Blade Show people let me know what to truly think of SK and I wouldn't order from them under any situation.

JohnWE likes this.
  7. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    I think it is intended to be humorous commentary on weasel-worded disclaimers that so many, including Survive!, do so well.

Sagemode likes this.
  8. JohnWE

JohnWE Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Thanks for the clarification. I obviously missed the joke the first time!