• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

310mm Wrought Iron San Mai Integral Sujihiki

I just finished up my first integral knife build! This knife is a sujihiki which roughly means "flesh cutter". They are similar to yanagiba (the traditional blade used for sushi prep), but are a little more versatile and easy to use because they feature a western double bevel rather than a chisel grind. Blade lengths 270mm or greater are pretty common for this style of knife, the idea being that you can complete a full slice on a piece of meat or fish in one stroke without sawing back and forth, in order to prevent the grain of the meat from being torn apart. They can also be used in other forms of food prep (veggie slicing, etc), although the long blade length does take a bit of skill to manage.

This blade I made with wrought iron cladding on a W2 core. I have been having great results with W2 in my kitchen knives lately and have all but entirely switched from using 1095. For those of you who haven't used W2 before in a kitchen setting, you can expect a keen high RC edge, and quite a bit better edge retention and stability than 1095 and even many other common tool steels (O1, etc). It is similar in composition to aogami super. Between the core and the cladding is a shim of pure nickel which prevents carbon loss in the core and also shines very brightly after the etch :)
The blade itself has a nice long distal taper starting at 1/8", and both the spine and choil are rounded for comfort. The heel of the blade is just over 1.5" tall so your knuckles can clear the cutting board. It's sharpened on stones up to a naniwa 12k, and is ready to go to work!
The handle is a modernized octagonal wa design, and features a great cut of african blackwood that has been polished to a high finish. The integral bolster is etched right up to the handle.

But enough talk about the blade, here are some pictures so you can see for yourself!
https://imgur.com/nNUmkqa
https://imgur.com/uXwM6Ki
https://imgur.com/yf7gbPr

I'm asking $600 USD shipped for this one! First one to say "I'll take it!" gets it. As always, if you have any questions about the blade don't hesitate to ask below or at my email YozakuraForge@gmail.com and I'll do my best to answer!

Let me know what you guys think! Because this is my first integral knife, some constructive criticism would be appreciated. I really enjoyed this build and would like to make more integrals in the future, so let me know if you all like integrals in general and it is worth me making more :)

Thanks for looking everyone,
-Grant

I use the gyuto I received from you just about every meal recently, holding a screaming edge!

If I wasn't sure what a great knife this is, I wouldn't be so worried I'd buy it :D

That's great to hear, I'm really happy you are getting use out of yours :D

Back