1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

#35 Beer and Sausage Bar Tool Knife

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Matt_WY, Jul 31, 2020.

1. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    So, are there vintage / historic bar knives? With a fork, or beer / foam pusher thing, corkscrew, etc.

mb> likes this.
  2. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I think they called that a "rolling stop" in driver's ed. ;)

Jiki, JohnDF, ArchVV and 4 others like this.
  3. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Or "California stop"!

Jiki, JohnDF, tmd_87 and 1 other person like this.
  4. sf fanatic

sf fanatic Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Heck, I’ve been doing that for years .

Jiki and Prester John like this.
  5. Pgg365247

Pgg365247 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2012
    If the etching on a GEC SFO knife makes it a “novelty”, you are missing out on some really fine knives. So many SFO runs have etching’s and they are hardly novelty knives.

Will Power and Onearmbladenut like this.
  6. Mitt

Mitt

Aug 31, 2017
    I use my knives. Etching is pointless except on a novelty knife.

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  7. Pgg365247

Pgg365247 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Ok... So use the etched knife if it's a frame/blade set up you like.

8. Mitt

Mitt

Aug 31, 2017
    And why pay $40 more for the etch when its virtually the same knife?

9. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2018
    My biggest problem is leaving my house forgetting to carry a knife. I had a brain injury in 1989 and I have A.D.D. I don't sharpen knives very well. I keep buying CASE XX Trapper Kickstarts and GEC knives. I have never sold or trading a knife it my life. I could care less about blade etching. I have a #35 ebony-wood B&S , H23316 Cougar Clawed fixed blade Hunter , and an OKCA members hat coming in real soon ! Gunstock Jacks Knives --- Mr. Barry Rocks !!!! When you die , somebody is going to enjoy your unused knives. These pocket knives are too much fun and cost too much money , for me not to use and enjoy !

10. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2018
    $40 for a different etch , I hate that too. I missed out on a #35 & #54 Cougar clawed knives in 2018. I was new to GEC. Now I wanted a #35 really bad. I wanted two #35s with no comb. I hate flippers and Evil-bay taxation. I am thankful for the two Maher & Grosh knives that I just bought. I will pocket both of the knives. The etching will be trashed someday. I would rather the two old guys that own M&G make a little more money , than a flipper on Evil-bay. Those knives will fetch $200 to $300 real soon. I buy from GEC dealers that support BladeForms and the other knife forums that I learn from. I love Bill Howard and the 32 workers at GEC. I try to buy newly released GEC knives from the smaller GEC dealers right now. I want my money to support the factory , not the secondary market.

11. Mitt

Mitt

Aug 31, 2017
    To me an etch takes away from what is the simplistic beauty of a knife. It's like drowning BBQ in sauce, good BBQ doesn't need it and will stand on its own. The flavor of smoke and meat is all you need. The only SFO knives I go for are from @knifeswapper. In fact I only buy from him. Mike doesn't seem to be obsessed with adding ridiculous etches like "$1.00 razor steel". He keeps them simple and lets the knife stand on its own, the way it should. I kind of have the feeling that if GEC didn't mandate the "CK" etch it wouldn't be their either. I managed to get one of the last runs of 77s without it and one of the first runs with it. He had them keep the etch small enough and placed where it doesn't distract too much.

I like the BTK even with the strainer, it will get used. I almost picked up a 35 in hummingbird a few years back but decided to wait for the 43 to be released. The M&G also having a pen blade is a deterrent to me. I have never had need for one. If I need a smaller blade I'll grab a stockman and use the end of the clip.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    knifeswapper likes this.
  12. Mass1632

Mass1632 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2019
    I think some people like the etch only because it gives the knife more of a special edition theme to it. This is especially the case with knife brands not gec since all gecs are more limited than most production brands. Sometimes a knife is almost twice the price with the only difference being it says “limited” and maybe has a production number along with slightly different covers.

13. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
    I bought the M&G and can't wait for it to get here and to use it. I didn't pay an extra $40 for the etch, I paid the extra $40 for the pen blade which I like better than the comb.

dave308ek, Will Power, btb01 and 3 others like this.
  14. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    But you are missing the fact that the M&G knives are exact copies of the same knives from the 20s and 30s. The etches are their for a reason, to stay true to the original knife. That is a totally different case of it’s own. I don’t like etches anymore then the other guy, but on those particular 35s they are their for a reason.

15. Colt_Chad

Colt_Chad Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 16, 2020
    The M&G blade etching is not for novelty purposes. It is for historical purposes. They literally reproduce knives based on historical ads. Those etches were on the blades 100 years ago and will remain on them regardless of who makes M&G knives in the future. Saying the blade etches on a M&G knife is a novelty is like saying a blue oval on a Ford or a pony on a Colt is a novelty.

16. Mitt

Mitt

Aug 31, 2017
    Unless youre a historical reenactor and need it to go along with you single action revolver it is a novelty

17. sf fanatic

sf fanatic Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Just paid my invoice for an Ebony B&S. :)

Colt_Chad, Quiet and Mitt like this.
  18. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    I don’t know why everyone here trys to convince the others to like or dislike the same things that they do. Mitt sorry these are not for you, I hope they make something that you will enjoy soon. As for me, I'm getting all the novelties, I think they are fun. Getting a B&S, 2 M&G, and already have a handful of pocket carvers. :D

[​IMG]
    You know just for fun.;)

19. Mitt

Mitt

Aug 31, 2017
    I have a BTK and enjoy it almost as much as I have turning the tables on those that made fun of it for the strainer.

There is two sides to every knife, some love it some loath it. Me, I like ruffling feathers. It's all In fun just giving some paybacks to those that made fun of the BTK.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Scott J. and Jiki like this.
  20. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I just untubed my micarta B&S...... Really cool knife..... It took 1/2 a Kleenex to dry it off..... The etches don't bother me but tattoos do....

What I really wanted to say was I think this knife might represent a new era for GEC in manufacturing...... I enjoy seeing how things are manufactured..... If you look at knife components made from sheet metals you'll see that the individual pieces are punched out of the sheet material..... Same principle as a paper punch except the shape will be a liner, blade, bottle opener, etc.... The tell tale is a shear line or breakout on the edge of the component.... You'll see evidence on almost every knife tang...... You'll see it on the B&S knife tang.......

But if you look at the fork and comb on the B&S you won't see the breakout... So this means that those pieces were likely cut by a laser.... The advantage is no punch die cost, die maintenance, ability to cut any shape after programming, lights out manufacturing, etc....

I think the B&S is an example of what GEC can do and the precision they now possess to make delicate components in a global manufacturing environment.... I think advancements like this anchor GEC as a world leader in traditional knife making....

mb>, L.H.S, Quiet and 5 others like this.