#35 Beer and Sausage Bar Tool Knife

The B&S has more tools than the simple Beer Scout.
That makes the Beer Scout redundant and therefore irrelevant. :p
John, the Beer Scout Knife was made on a boy's frame. Now that it's all grown up on an adult frame us men and women can get one.;)

How's that for trolling? Pretty good huh?

Yeah, ive never seen a comb with the small tooth sticking out the end of it. Naming it “Brrt” was surely in jest.

I dont think an etch by itself makes anything a novelty. What the etch says can. In this case, it makes the knife into somewhat of a replica which replicas are often novelty items. But its still a fully functional knife so that helps remove the “novelty“ moniker. Also, they did it to pay homage to the original design. A lot of people think “toy” when they think novelty and its not really the case either. Realistically you could call all gec knives a novelty since they dont stay in production.

Yep, plenty of people have been watching that show and now they think they know something about knives. But knives still arent cool. They are tools. When you start carrying a particular type of knife for fashion, thats when you become about accessorizing. Hipsters are more likely to have a traditional folder than a modern and they think they are cool. They just look like dorks to me. “Look at grampa, look how meticulously he opens his folding knife. Hes so cool!” Said no kid ever. (Kids dont use much words like meticulous)

John, the Beer Scout Knife was made on a boy's frame. Now that it's all grown up on an adult frame us men and women can get one.;)

How's that for trolling? Pretty good huh?
We should start calling the beer scout the sasparilla scout! :D

The B&S has more tools than the simple Beer Scout.
That makes the Beer Scout redundant and therefore irrelevant. :p

Not going to consider the comb as a tool and after seeing the release and pictures of the comb on the rim of a glass, I’ve lost my hope that it was actually a strainer. So that leaves us with a blade, cap lifter, and screw driver vs. a blade, cap lifter, and fork. If you were stuck someplace, what would you really rather have in your pocket?

Not going to consider the comb as a tool and after seeing the release and pictures of the comb on the rim of a glass, I’ve lost my hope that it was actually a strainer. So that leaves us with a blade, cap lifter, and screw driver vs. a blade, cap lifter, and fork. If you were stuck someplace, what would you really rather have in your pocket?
Come on man, this isn't the group of people that get "stuck" anywhere unprepared.

I don't know about where you are, but those classes here are only booked out due to the polarity of a TV show. It was only after the show gained in popularity that knife making classes began to fill for months on end.

Hmm, it's like popular culture determines what is 'cool'.

A multi-tool, it’s more suited being stuck than a B&S or sarsaparilla scout.

Does anyone know of historic / vintage bartender knives?

I just untubed my micarta B&S...... Really cool knife..... It took 1/2 a Kleenex to dry it off..... The etches don't bother me but tattoos do....

What I really wanted to say was I think this knife might represent a new era for GEC in manufacturing...... I enjoy seeing how things are manufactured..... If you look at knife components made from sheet metals you'll see that the individual pieces are punched out of the sheet material..... Same principle as a paper punch except the shape will be a liner, blade, bottle opener, etc.... The tell tale is a shear line or breakout on the edge of the component.... You'll see evidence on almost every knife tang...... You'll see it on the B&S knife tang.......

But if you look at the fork and comb on the B&S you won't see the breakout... So this means that those pieces were likely cut by a laser.... The advantage is no punch die cost, die maintenance, ability to cut any shape after programming, lights out manufacturing, etc....

I think the B&S is an example of what GEC can do and the precision they now possess to make delicate components in a global manufacturing environment.... I think advancements like this anchor GEC as a world leader in traditional knife making....

I’ll have to check that out, I didn’t think to look.

I do think Randy said that the comb was water jet cut, but I might be misremembering.

M Mitt I am struggling to make any sense of your posts. The BRR is not a drink strainer, it is a beard refuse removal tool. That’s why it is marked BRR. The B&S knife also has a large etch on it. The point of buying a traditional knife is that they are traditional knives, and for that reason they are cool, just as many traditional things are cool, including a classic revolver.

You said ‘I like ruffling feathers’ so I assume you are trolling? The porch isn’t really the place for it

Yeah, you really can’t argue hard / pure practicality if you’re carrying traditionals. It’s always at least part aesthetic.

Actually the BRRT is a strainer that is why its named the "Bar Tool Knife". They nicknamed it "beard refuse removal tool" in fun just like "Beer & Sausage" was just an homage to Oktoberfest. I love traditional knives but I hate blades being covered in etches. I have seen many more older traditional knives without them than I have with them. I know the BTK has a large B&S etch, I have one. Sadly outside of a SFO this is the least amount of etch we we have seen from GEC in a while. Again for me the beauty of a traditional is in its simplicity and should not be obscured with frills like etching.

The trolls here are those endless posts of hate of the BTK for its uniqueness.

What makes you think it’s a strainer? Can you show an example of a similarly designed strainer?

I don't want to derail the thread here, but what TV show are we talking about? I 'member Rambo forging his blade and that was pretty cool lol.

Does anyone know of historic / vintage bartender knives?

I’ll have to check that out, I didn’t think to look.

I do think Randy said that the comb was water jet cut, but I might be misremembering.

Yeah, you really can’t argue hard / pure practicality if you’re carrying traditionals. It’s always at least part aesthetic.

What makes you think it’s a strainer? Can you show an example of a similarly designed strainer?

Logan,
It could be water jet cutting..... I knew it wasn't stamped....... I'm glad that GEC is using these manufacturing methods...... It certainly enhances the product quality.... My B&S is about as beautiful a knife as one could want....

Back