#35 Beer and Sausage Bar Tool Knife

The jigging and bone color are excellent on that knife. Of course, if the rough jigging bothers you, you could send it to me, and I'll carry it for a year or so, and get it "pocket smoothed" for you. No charge.... I'm just that nice of a guy....:D

I would hate to put you through all that hassle - you are no doubt a really nice guy, but this is my burden to bear. Thank you though for the support - means the world to me.:p

...breaking up the discussion with more pics. I’ve had an opportunity to look over the bone in more detail. It is beautifully executed, however on the pile side there are what appears to be very light “tear out” or tool “chatter” marks that weren’t completely buffed out. Not a big deal from my perspective, but I know some here May feel differently.

Xq7DMSw.jpg

DXfzoLz.jpg

u5J7wXi.jpg

Man this looks so good.

This looks like a great example for everyone who says GECs jigging hasn’t been up to snuff- I think they made up for it with this one.

That jigged bone looks amazing! :rolleyes: If only there was someone out there wanting to trade for a new B&S 35 Ebony...

I passed on the micarta and I waited. I passed on the ebony and I waited. Finally came the jigged bone an I did not have to wait any longer. To say that I was rewarded for my patience is an understatement. I am very glad that Bill and the folks at GEC captured this opportunity to make such a great knife.

9rvF4WF.jpg

gqqlWoX.jpg

The camera does not do this dye work justice. It is beautiful in hand.

I passed on the micarta and I waited. I passed on the ebony and I waited. Finally came the jigged bone an I did not have to wait any longer. To say that I was rewarded for my patience is an understatement. I am very glad that Bill and the folks at GEC captured this opportunity to make such a great knife.

9rvF4WF.jpg

gqqlWoX.jpg

That’s a beauty!

9rvF4WF.jpg

gqqlWoX.jpg

Love that color!

9rvF4WF.jpg

gqqlWoX.jpg

Awesome!

Well, tracking said it was coming on Saturday, but for some reason it showed up today. So here are my first impressions. I’ve never had a 35 before and it is a more substantial knife than I thought it would be. It came sharp out of the tube and the ebony is nice and dark.
cZEL240.jpg

I was a little worried from some of the previous comments, but fit and finish on this thing are great. No gaps, no wobble. There’s a bit of rub, but it’s a user so that doesn’t bother me.
zZNkZ5V.jpg

The pull on the blade and caplifter are a bit lighter than a SAK but they feel good and snap nicely opening and closing. They don’t feel overly light at all to me. There was some speculation early on that this knife would be a brick with three back springs. I don’t have any calipers, but it appears to be slightly thinner than a TL-29.
B4OE5O4.jpg

The pull on the comb is substantially lighter probably due to the thin spring but I’m not too worried about it closing on me during use. A little cleaning got rid of the grit in the comb’s action. You have to push it most of the way opened and closed but it does snap into place. I was worried from the initial pictures that the tines might be too far apart for the comb to be useful but it works well for me. For those of you wondering about the comb as a dog grooming tool, I pulled a bunch of cockleburs out of one of my dogs today. After doing that and then seeing this comb I think it is too delicate to use on a dog, at least the way that I get burs out.

I didn’t have any sausage today, but I did open a beer.
43N6vQ7.jpg

I’ll get some better pictures later on when I get outside with it. My initial reaction is that it is very well made and I think it will be a useful knife that I will enjoy.

There are several thread in the Good Bad and Ugly Forum dedicated to the vagaries associated with trying to buy GEC knives. If you have any further comments about GEC's business practices or about GEC dealers, please post in one of those threads or start a new one in Good Bad and Ugly.

Traditional Forum is about the knives, not the purchasing thereof.
Thanks,
Frank

Back