.38 Special!!

I like the looks of the Indian paint brush jigging. Looks to be same jigging as the diamond jacks. What's the snap and pull like in these? My Whillamette has stronger pull than my Grinling, curious which it's more like. Thanks

I've got the Bocote and the Beaver, both are a 4-5 more or less. Gets a bit more firm near open position (no half stop). Snaps open nicely though, kind of like my old alox SAKs.

I really like the 38 form but I think it calls for more than one blade to be perfect. I carry my ebony whittler often.

I really like the 38 form but I think it calls for more than one blade to be perfect. I carry my ebony whittler often.

I thought the same thing, but I'm glad I gave the 38 special a try.

Still, even having snagged 2 of the whittlers, I regret not having grabbed an ebony as well.

I've got the Bocote and the Beaver, both are a 4-5 more or less. Gets a bit more firm near open position (no half stop). Snaps open nicely though, kind of like my old alox SAKs.
Thanks, my Alox electrician has great snap on it's cam tang. I wish my 35 had snap like my ALOX.

Are the new abalone knives scaled in abalone that has been laminated? Or acrylic that is colored to look like abalone (entirely synthetic)?

The material in question is ALVS abalone.

Are the new abalone knives scaled in abalone that has been laminated? Or acrylic that is colored to look like abalone (entirely synthetic)?

The material in question is ALVS abalone.

It's my understanding that ALVS is another name for Looking Glass (LG). Looking Glass is one thin layer of Abalone with clear acrylic on top. In my opinion, it looks better than it sounds in writing. It's actually very nicely done.

It's my understanding that ALVS is another name for Looking Glass (LG). Looking Glass is one thin layer of Abalone with clear acrylic on top. In my opinion, it looks better than it sounds in writing. It's actually very nicely done.

I actually hoped that's what it was. I drop my knives too often to carry 100% shell covered knives.

ALVS. Abolone Laminate Veneer Sheet. I'm pretty sure it's like laminated wood so it would actually be very different than LG. Instead of one layer, there are many. I've been wrong before though.

Whatever it is, it looks amazing. I hope they use it on the upcoming 66 Northfields.

I was unable to resist the autumn leaf jig bone. When will we see a beaver shield on bone again, after all...

ALVS. Abolone Laminate Veneer Sheet. I'm pretty sure it's like laminated wood so it would actually be very different than LG. Instead of one layer, there are many. I've been wrong before though.

You may very well be correct. I don't know a lot about it but I read a comment from a well known dealer that ALVS is the official name for LG. It's entirely possible that I misunderstood the context of his comment.

You may very well be correct. I don't know a lot about it but I read a comment from a well known dealer that ALVS is the official name for LG. It's entirely possible that I misunderstood the context of his comment.

I found the comment you're referring to. You're totally right. I assumed LVS and ALVS were the same thing.

Here is the Abalone 38 i got in the mail today. I was very happy when looking at the show side, not so much after turning it over. I'm not typically the one to return knives but I think I will give the distributor a call in the morning. I feel the scale on the pile side should have been a piece of waste not something put on a Northfield trim knife. Please correct me if I am wrong in this thinking and this is to be expected of the material.
20170612_230200_zpssomeq0am.jpg
20170612_230210_zpsdhyb7sr6.jpg

Slim, I don't think you would be out of line returning that. I would be very disappointed in that as well.

No, it's looks like a patchwork, badly lined up.

I'd return that, based on the assumption it would be very difficult to sell second hand except at massive discount.

Didn't you see pictures of both sides when ordering though??

Thanks, Will

I don't know, Slim. I've seen pictures of several Abalone LG GEC's that had a similar seam. I'm inclined to believe that it's not uncommon.

I would certainly return it if I wasn't happy with it. I'm sure the dealer would want you to be satisfied.

I don't think its acceptable. We are frequently told that we have to accept variations and flaws in scales on the basis that it is natural material. And we do, to a point (Even when GEC insists we should buy their knives when they are using rotten food and decayed animal parts to make the knife handles!) But there is nothing natural about that seam - I would return it

Back