3cr VS 8cr13MoV

The 8CR13MoV on my Tenacious holds up pretty well. If your son is just using it for lighter stuff, I think the 8CR13MoV should be fine. Teach him how to sharpen it too, that way if it gets dull he can take care of it. When I started sharpening my own knives, I was a lot more careful with the edge because back then it took me quite a bit of effort to put on a good edge.

I've started my son using a sak Recruit. I want him to get comfortable using a slippie and not relying on a lock. To me the lock is like the seat belt or air bag in a car. Nice to have, but I hope I don't have use it of rely on it regularly when I drive.

Ric

I appreciate the suggestion, but I think we would both prefer something more on the stylish side.

In regards to the 8cr13MoV; if I were to be abusing the knife in so far as using a 2x4 as a hammer on the backside in an attempt to cut firewood in a camping situation; assuming a thick blade profile, and similarly heat-treated...how much farther would the vg-10 take me in comparison to the 8Cr?

Um, there are very few Spydercos that can match Opinel for being stylish...

That said, 8cr will be more than good enough for what you are asking. You will probably notice only a slightly less wear resistant edge compared to vg10. But it also sharpens up a bit easier, so if he needs to learn sharpening it's good for that, too.

I used my tenacious camping and cut through several green, fallen saplings that were about ankle thick. Then used it for basic camp chores the rest of the weekend without touching up. It was in bad need of a sharpening by the end, but it served it's purpose. And I'm sure any of us in here would be sharpening our S30V and VG10 put through the same paces, too.

I do prefer vg10, but it's not a huge thing, and us knife nuts put way more emphasis on edge holding than there really is a difference of in the real world.

Oh, and don't baton through a 2x4 with your folder, please. Bring a saw or hatchet, or appropriately sized firewood.

I would not use a folding knife for batoning. chopping, or anything else a FB does... It will break, youll be dissapointed, and you might even hurt yerself.... I would get a fixed blade as a first knife.

Back