1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? 3M Microfinishing Film

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Dragons Breath Knives, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Dragons Breath Knives

Dragons Breath Knives

Aug 24, 2014
    Good day to all!! Can anyone recommend the most common progression for using the film for finishing out Blades! Any Pros and Cons? Thank you in advance!

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
  3. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
    Various options
    Micron 80-40-20-9

Finishing them out how and where? They have many uses...

I like them for folder handle shaping and finishing Mostly using the shoeshine method.

Or spine and choil work

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I want to add that when I use it, it is for sanding inside curves, like choils and finger grooves. Habeer's grit progression is good.

Normally, grit progressions go by roughly half/double the grit size.

5. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    You can get the 3m Polishing sheets for about a $1.25 from TruGrit and K&G knife supply.

6. Jason Volkert

Jason Volkert KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 25, 2018
    Do the polishing sheets leave J-hooks like regular sand paper?

7. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Sand paper do not leave J-hooks. People sanding do :)

The very high grits polish and the scratches are so fine you can not seem them, the lower 400 and 600 you can see if you J hook.

8. Jason Volkert

Jason Volkert KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 25, 2018
    Yeah I know. I'm always looking for a quicker way for the perfect handsanded satin finish if you know what I mean.

9. AVigil

Feb 17, 2009
    I find going up higher on the belt sander with cork belts makes hand sanding much quicker

Jason Volkert likes this.
  10. Dragons Breath Knives

Dragons Breath Knives

Aug 24, 2014
    Thanks one and all for the valued info that is shared on this awesome Forum⚔️⚔️