3rd Gen Mnandi is dropping.

Interesting. I miss the old nail tick. Not sure how I feel about the hole but pretty cool.

Cost cutting? Who said anything about that? Look, CRK just isn’t what it use to be; plain and simple.

Look....the knives might be the same...heck...even made on the same machines.

But I agree with the Duck that there is something that disturbs me about CRK without the C. I feel guilty about buying from the "new" CRK after C has been kicked to the curb.

I dunno. Maybe I'm crazy. But I gotta be me.

What's up with glass bead finish on the blade of a $400 knife?

Blast them, grind them, sharpen, done. Why waste time on making the flats look pretty on a knife who's name translates to "very nice" in Zulu? (sarcasm)

Hell, even the titanium doesn't get satin on the flats anymore apparently. I hate to say this, but between that hole and the blasted finishes, this thing now looks like something made by WE, CIVIVI, or Reate. Hope the new head honchos are proud.

The old saying was “the only guarantees are death and taxes”. I would add a third truth: Death, Taxes, and any time CRK changes anything CRK fans are gonna hate it, until they change it again, then everyone is gonna love it, but hate the new change.

Change is inevitable especially since everyone will be ousted eventually, whether it be "divorce or death or hostile takeover".

Cost cutting? Who said anything about that? Look, CRK just isn’t what it use to be; plain and simple.

I agree 1010%. Chris was a man I deeply respected. Had a couple conversations with him that I will remember forever. Tim once told me wasn’t a knife designer, his dad is. It Shows.... I am still a fan of the brand, but only of the older Chris Reeve Designs.

So we don’t know who designs these updates/changes or do we? People seem to think it’s Tim, but that is not implicitly stated anywhere I know of (I am open and willing to be wrong, please educate me). For all we know, this design work is still by Chris as it was mentioned he would be consulting for the company. So we cannot really say where these changes stem from unless someone has better info than mine, which is basically no info.

Anyways.......the gen 2 Mnandi received a lot of complaints due to it being hard to open. This Gen 3 Mnandi seems to address that issue with what I think is a cool and bold feature. We also see the return of bead-blast surfaces, which were a feature of the Gen 1 Mnandi blade (in the nail nick). Maybe this is a return to form?

All that said, I’m not a Mnandi fan, as I find the knife too damn small, so am happy with the one example I own.

I think this knife will be judged by the Mnandi fans and collectors, of which there are many.

If CRK ever released a Large Mnandi, I’m there with my wallet open.

Back