3rd Gen Mnandi is dropping.

Mhh not sure I like it. Giving it the hole for one hand opening makes it illegal to carry in Germany where one hand opening locking folders are not permittet to carry, but two hand locking folders are.

Just from eyeballing it, this will be easier to open than the current nick. And that is a welcomed change. But like others, I prefer the first generation mnandi.

I imagine machining that oh so thin nail nick has been a relative pain for them. And I wonder how many perforated nicks/broken blades have occurred getting that small area so thin on both sides.

Next up should be a wharncliffe mnandi and a large version!

Just from eyeballing it, this will be easier to open than the current nick. And that is a welcomed change. But like others, I prefer the first generation mnandi.

I imagine machining that oh so thin nail nick has been a relative pain for them. And I wonder how many perforated nicks/broken blades have occurred getting that small area so thin on both sides.

Next up should be a wharncliffe mnandi and a large version!

I always personally liked the 1st Gen of the Mnandi not so much because of the nail nick, but because of the larger Bolster and more elegant Clip in my opinion. The larger bolster to me helped hold the inlays in place. The clip was more refined and elegant with its machining. And of course the blasted nail nick made it easier to open.

The 2nd gen wasn’t bad. If Using a pinch technique to open the blade opened easily, even for someone like me that broke that hand twice. But since it was more difficult than the 1st gen, I can understand why people complained. The smaller bolster took away from it for me and also no longer helped hold the inlays in place. The clip looked cheap to me as well. Not nearly as elegant.

3rd gen doesn’t look too bad. I can see the hole aiding in opening. Without holding one, tough to tell if you need to open it like the gen 1, or pinch gen 2 method. The hole just looks clone-ish to me. Some finishing differences change cosmetics.

Still feel the Gen 1 was the best overall by quite a bit. Sadly I sold all mine off years ago and only have 3 of the gen 2. The Mnandi is a tough little knife and very well built for its size. Just prefer some gens over others is all. Would still love a Micarta version or a solid scale blasted version for more of a harder use edc. But the inlays add to its beauty in use, which is why I like UG/CGG over PJ in the 21. A larger Mnandi would be awesome as long as it doesn’t have the ball lockup. Or a large slipjoint Mnandi.

As long as it doesn’t have the ball lockup, I can see trying one someday, but it all depends on the inlays. Just like a UG, a certain wood grain speak to you and scream Buy Me....Lol.

I always personally liked the 1st Gen of the Mnandi not so much because of the nail nick, but because of the larger Bolster and more elegant Clip in my opinion. The larger bolster to me helped hold the inlays in place. The clip was more refined and elegant with its machining. And of course the blasted nail nick made it easier to open.

The 2nd gen wasn’t bad. If Using a pinch technique to open the blade opened easily, even for someone like me that broke that hand twice. But since it was more difficult than the 1st gen, I can understand why people complained. The smaller bolster took away from it for me and also no longer helped hold the inlays in place. The clip looked cheap to me as well. Not nearly as elegant.

3rd gen doesn’t look too bad. I can see the hole aiding in opening. Without holding one, tough to tell if you need to open it like the gen 1, or pinch gen 2 method. The hole just looks clone-ish to me. Some finishing differences change cosmetics.

Still feel the Gen 1 was the best overall by quite a bit. Sadly I sold all mine off years ago and only have 3 of the gen 2. The Mnandi is a tough little knife and very well built for its size. Just prefer some gens over others is all. Would still love a Micarta version or a solid scale blasted version for more of a harder use edc. But the inlays add to its beauty in use, which is why I like UG/CGG over PJ in the 21. A larger Mnandi would be awesome as long as it doesn’t have the ball lockup. Or a large slipjoint Mnandi.

As long as it doesn’t have the ball lockup, I can see trying one someday, but it all depends on the inlays. Just like a UG, a certain wood grain speak to you and scream Buy Me....Lol.
I agree with all of your points. :thumbsup: I regret selling my lignum vitae gen 1 the most.

They are doing Mammoth again it appears (edit: not mammoth, see below comment from DLT). Photo from the CRK IG feed.

0ny4bhb.jpg

Last edited:
That is our Elforyn Micarta exclusive dropping later on today.
Ahhh. Thank you!!!! I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to name the vendor as this site has rules. It’s beautiful! I’m sure you are going to sell them in an instant.

I am still on the fence concerning the blade opening hole/cutout but I am not too thrilled with the satin finish on the handle. I like the polished finish on my 2nd generation Mnandi. I think I am going to wait on buying a 3rd. generation Mnandi for a while. I want to get some feedback on the S45 blade steel and their heat treatment.

Back