3rd party Omega springs -any good?

I have 2 sets that I just bought off Etsy... I have not put them on yet, but sizing looks good and their reviews are good. Supposedly a better steel then factory... I'll have to put some on my bugout and test.

For what it's worth... I know some have had them break, but my 6 or so benchmades over the years, I haven't had a factory one break yet.

Yeah, I'm curious too about why you'd go aftermarket?

I own several Benchmades, obviously all have the Axis lock. I've never even had a slight issue, and I've used the absolute Hell out of them.

Just wondering?

I've a few Benchmade's also, and have yet to have any springs break. But I've heard of some who did have made their own, and if memory serves me, out of piano wire.

Yeah, I'm curious too about why you'd go aftermarket?

I own several Benchmades, obviously all have the Axis lock. I've never even had a slight issue, and I've used the absolute Hell out of them.

Just wondering?
Im thinking about buying a 940 and having it as a edc. The only problem i keep hearing about is the omega spring failing and since i dont live in the US i would not be able to send it back to Benchmade. So what im thinking is if i could buy them somewhere else that problem would be solved.
But maybe the spring failing is not as common as i think?

Im thinking about buying a 940 and having it as a edc. The only problem i keep hearing about is the omega spring failing and since i dont live in the US i would not be able to send it back to Benchmade. So what im thinking is if i could buy them somewhere else that problem would be solved.
But maybe the spring failing is not as common as i think?
Just pick up a set off Etsy and if it ever breaks you have a spare on hand. I don't think you would have any issues for a long time.

Another tip is that I like to put a slight amount of nano oil or some other lube in the spring area to help with friction (the crooked rivers, for example,have the spring against metal.

I too have been using Benchmade AXIS lock knives for many years, using some of them particularly hard and flicking most all of them open and closed obsessively, with nary a hint of trouble with an Omega spring. Still, I have heard of enough people having issues that I do not doubt that it could be a legitimate concern. I've always wondered if opening method could contribute to the issue. I almost always flip mine open with the AXIS lock, but on occasions when I have flicked them open with the thumb-stud and wrist motion I have often noticed that the lock is stiffer to disengage afterwards. Is it possible that having the lock depressed while opening is easier on the spring? I'm not sure if I explained that well, and I'm not sure if there's anything to that anyway, but it is just something that occurred to me from time to time while fidgeting with AXIS locks.

I like the way Benchmade did the axis lock on their Anthem. It's a single coil spring pushing the axis up similar to how the Spyderco ball lock looks. But I've also never had problems with my Griptilian either.

I never had any problems with Omega springs until recently.

A spring in my 531 broke about two weeks ago. Come to find out, the other spring has been broken for most of the time I have owned the knife.

Where do you find aftermarket springs?

One omega spring in my mini crooked river had a kink about a half year ago. Dont ask me why cause i did not use the mini crooked river very often. The funny thing is i didnt notice it at first, only when i disassembled the knife for cleaning i saw that one spring had a severe kink (though not broken completely). I am sure Benchmade would have sent me replacement springs if i asked but i was curious about the after market springs i saw on evilbay. I am very happy with those and have the feeling they are a tiny bit stronger than the original springs.

aFdvusP.jpg

Last edited:
I broke a spring on my 940-2 last May and made my own out of memory wire. I used the knife (as part of a rotation) so it didn't see a whole bunch of use but they worked just fine, aleit a little crude looking. However, I did contact BM (after a couple of months) and they did send me out a set of Omegas (I live in Canada) and I put them in and had my homemade set as a spare.

Then in January of this year, the omega spring on my 940 broke. Interestingly, both my 940 and my 940-2 had the same side (clip side) spring break. I then contacted BM for a replacement and put the homemade spares into the 940. I got the BM omega's in the mail on Wednesday (took two weeks, a record time), but will keep them as spares and I will keep using my homemade ones until they break to see how long they will last.

I also requested new screws as the little teeny weeny scale screw stripped a little and I used loctite to secure it in place. There isn't too much thread to screw into the liner. Now I know why BM uses longer screws in their g10 and CF scales even though people complain that they stick out through the liner/scale and should be flush.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you wouldn't just ask benchmade for replacements?

I live in Canada so don't want to ship my knives to them, but they have no problem shipping replacement pocket clips or omega springs to me
I thought i had read somewhere that they dont send out the springs but if they do i dont have to worrie

I never had any problems with Omega springs until recently.

A spring in my 531 broke about two weeks ago. Come to find out, the other spring has been broken for most of the time I have owned the knife.

Where do you find aftermarket springs?
On Etsy, just google benchmade omega spring

I have 3 or 4 Benchmade a, never broke a spring, but I did make a frankenknife from a mini stryker and a Japanese woodworking knife. I had to make new springs ,I used the heaviest memory wire that would fit I don't think they are as nice as the factory ones. will definitely have to try the ones on Etsy.

I thought i had read somewhere that they dont send out the springs but if they do i dont have to worrie

I remember hearing about that for pocket clips, that they would charge for them now, but perhaps it could be omega springs as well.

That being said I had a replacement pocket clip mailed to me a couple month ago and it didn't cost me anything so I'm not too sure
M

I remember hearing about that for pocket clips, that they would charge for them now, but perhaps it could be omega springs as well.

That being said I had a replacement pocket clip mailed to me a couple month ago and it didn't cost me anything so I'm not too sure
M

I’d bet you could get a free clip once in a while from Benchmade, but they’ve had to deal with those people asking for 5 or more each year. I really think that’s why they changed their free clip policy.

Knowing Benchmade’s warranty and customer service I’m sure they’d send out new omega springs if you’re out of country. I’ve been really impressed by their level of commitment.

Back