3rd party Omega springs -any good?

I am more impressed with Benchmade’s pocket clips than the Spyderco clips I have used.

What is it that you don't like about Spyderco's pocket clip's,I don't know why but every Benchmade knife I own the clip is really weak and doesn't hold very well at all,I also own more Benchmades then the 4 I mentioned above.

http://imgur.com/a/TIgF0kd

Fuuuuuudge this! This is only my first set, but I'll be danged if I'm gonna spend all week trying to get the bend and that catches the liner shaped well enough to prevent it from popping off.

The pics showing the springs installed look okay, but then I realized the bent end were WAY too long, so much so that the blade wouldn't be able to pass them.

I feel like I would rather just spend $20 for 10 pair on eBay & call it a day. Even if each pair only lasts me a month, it'll still be worth it imo.

If anyone has specific advice they can give on how to successfully shape the springs, particularly the bent end, I'm all ears. I'm not usually one to give up so easily, but just uuuuuuugh. But I am willing to try again with the correct knowledge.

In the meantime, off to eBay!

What is it that you don't like about Spyderco's pocket clip's,I don't know why but every Benchmade knife I own the clip is really weak and doesn't hold very well at all,I also own more Benchmades then the 4 I mentioned above.
I find I need to tighten nearly every Benchmade clip I get to fit my pants tightly enough. But I wear tactical pants on which the pocket edges are a bit thinner than say, jeans.

The pocket clip on my BNIB Phaeton was so freaking loose from factory that you could literally stand there & slide it in & out repeatedly without me even noticing. Dang slut j/k!

I'm not trying to lose my $200-$500 knife because Benchmade can't send a tight enough clip from factory. Or even worse, because I myself was too lazy to do anything about it.

But after making adjustments, every clip I've had had turned out great!

Well, here's an update no one asked for:

After I got home from work tonight, I refined my homemade omega springs. Using two sets of needlenose pliers helped a LOT.

I found the hardest part for me was correctly bending the tiny 90° turn on the end to the correct angle & length. Having one of the broken omega springs as a template helped tremendously in getting the angle & particularly the length correct.

So after being totally convinced I would be unable to make sufficiently accurate springs out of my Amazon-sourced 0.020 memory wire, I was able to get my very first pair to work after some adjustments.

I'm still glad I have the ones from Etsy coming (I also bought a bundle of 10 pair from eBay today). But I must say I have a real sense of pride knowing that my 20CV Bugout is currently working because of something I made myself with my own two hands. Pretty cool.

So after exercising some patience, I would definitely recommend trying to make your own omega springs should the need arise.

Time will tell how long these will last (unless I decide to ditch them when the Etsy/eBay ones arrive, which is likely). But maybe I'll still use them for a couple axis-style locks I have on a couple more budget-friendly knives. If & when I do, I'll update here on how long they lasted.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for all the useful information!

I find I need to tighten nearly every Benchmade clip I get to fit my pants tightly enough. But I wear tactical pants on which the pocket edges are a bit thinner than say, jeans.

The pocket clip on my BNIB Phaeton was so freaking loose from factory that you could literally stand there & slide it in & out repeatedly without me even noticing. Dang slut j/k!

I'm not trying to lose my $200-$500 knife because Benchmade can't send a tight enough clip from factory. Or even worse, because I myself was too lazy to do anything about it.

But after making adjustments, every clip I've had had turned out great!

You said you don't like Spyderco pocket clip's in another post and I was wondering is that,Spyderco clips fit very tight whether you are wearing blue jeans or pants that thin,I have never had 1one problem with their clip's but every Benchmade I have ever gotten feels weak.

Back