3V Nessmuk - Official List

Discussion in 'Koster Knives' started by Daniel Koster, Oct 14, 2009.

1. scotsmanspride

scotsmanspride

Jan 6, 2009
    Hey dan... What is the turnaround time for an 1/8 nessie in 1095? And what would be the deposit required? Thanks again for the amazing knifework.

2. vvk

vvk

Feb 16, 2005
    Almost getting itchy to cancel my order and get one of the Koster knives that are readily available from okbohn.... Decisions, decisions :)

3. Md 25v

Md 25v

Jun 11, 2008
    Thanks VVK, having a progress update helps

4. pepemrtnz

pepemrtnz

Oct 13, 2010
    Oh my decisions decisions. I guess that 1/8" would be more true to the original design of the nessmuck being a thin keen slicer, but 1/4"flat grind might be too tempting to pass up. What to do!?

5. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    I'm actually cutting out the handles on these this morning!

Just finished gluing up the liners for those that have 'em.

:thumbup:

Will post pics later.

Dan

6. Md 25v

Md 25v

Jun 11, 2008
    AWESOME:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

7. BARBARIAN-X

BARBARIAN-X Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Dan, PM sent...please confirm. Thanks!

8. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    PM reply sent.

Dan

9. BARBARIAN-X

BARBARIAN-X Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Thanks Dan! Getting excited...it's going to be sweet!:D

10. pepemrtnz

pepemrtnz

Oct 13, 2010
    You got one in stag?!?! We will need to be seeing some pics of that beauty...

I'll take your knife if you decide to back out................

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  11. pepemrtnz

pepemrtnz

Oct 13, 2010
    I don't see a place on your site to place a deposit for a nessmuk. Is it too late to get in on this run? I only have three Koster's so far, and four is my lucky number! This 3v is incredible!

12. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Just send it to my email:
    dan @ kosterknives . com
    (remove spaces)

I do plan on making more - this is an "open list" and not a production run.

I have the handles all cut out - waiting on liner material on one. I should be able to have these glued up by the end of next week. I'll be out of town M-W.

Thanks!

Dan

13. pepemrtnz

pepemrtnz

Oct 13, 2010
    Dan, ever think about doing another run of mini-nessmuks in 3v?

14. Md 25v

Md 25v

Jun 11, 2008
    Dan, whats up with the Nesmucks??? Are these being put off again?

15. tundratrader

tundratrader Banned BANNED

Jan 10, 2009
    Hey Dan,
    I would like to get out of this knife if possible. Would it be easier for me to find someone to take my spot?

I hate to pressure you but if these are done soon I will leave my order as is. Otherwise I need to pay for something else.

Thanks,
    Zach

16. pepemrtnz

pepemrtnz

Oct 13, 2010
    DELETED. oops.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  17. CR33

CR33 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2011

18. karzbi

karzbi

Apr 13, 2010
    Guys, I think it's all part of the experience of acquiring a Koster knife ... Dan's been holding $365 of my money since December with no updates, confirmations or responses of any kind to my emails. I've tried to follow the rules he's posted about contacting him and provided order info, etc. in each communication, so am not sure why Dan Koster has not been in touch.

Extenuating circumstances -- work, family, etc. -- can derail the best of plans, and Dan has indicated that there have been some extenuating circumstances, so I'm empathetic. Though, by now I'd expected to have any kind of response to my attempts to contact Dan -- even a "message received" email or a general update to everyone posted to the forum.

So, I think this is just the way Dan does business, so never having dealt with him before, I'm a bit confused -- the product and the person have "Cadillac" reputations, but the customers get an almost self-serve experience that leaves a lot of them uncertain or in doubt about what they're getting into. If you're used to getting personalized treatment when buying premium products, buying a Koster knife can throw you for a loop.

Now ... A lot of people in the forums vouch for Dan, so I'm not overly concerned at this point. For now, I'm content to keep waiting with the expectation that when I finally do receive my knife I'll think the price was a bargain and the wait worthwhile. I'm really forgiving of the time it takes to make a great product -- after all, we're not buying Benchmade's here. What I'm not really understanding of is the lack of communication of any kind.

In essence, fellows, I think a lot of people are feeling the same as we do. Have faith, and let's see what happens.

Karl

19. vvk

vvk

Feb 16, 2005
    Karzbi
    I have bought two knives from Dan (both excellent quality) and can vouch for him that he makes great knives. With that said you should be aware that it may take well over an year until you get your knife as Dan is practically never on time (one man shop AFAIK). The other thing I noticed is that he seems to work on batches so the moment he really starts working on the Nessmuks he should finish them in a month or two. I knew what I am getting into but still wanted to get "customized" knife instead of buying one from the exchange or from dealer (there is a dealer selling Koster knives BTW - just search the Koster forum).
    Thus, in essence, we do not have many options but to wait and consider this project as a long term investment :)