3V Tanto with my first saya (Joe made me do it)

BenR.T.

Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey guys, so I just finished up this 9.5" tanto. This model version I call my Ronin Tanto, I know others use the name also. But it makes sense for my me, my processes and style.
I have been making this model for over a year now, and I think I finally have the designed tweaked just right. The blade is .280" CPM 3V with my high performance HT. The guard is 6al4v titanium and the seppa and menuki are copper. The wrap is epoxy soaked and rockj solid.

On this one I wanted to try something I had yet to try and that is a ridged saya. Or at least my version of one. Joe's awesome thread on his Mirabile tanto finally bumped me over the edge. Thanks for the push buddy! Check out that thread if you haven't, David is an amazing maker that I draw inspiration from a lot.

I used tero tuf for the body of it and solid copper for the kurigata. I wrapped it with hemp cord that is epoxy soaked to match the tsuka. It was quite time consuming getting a nice fit, but I am very pleased with it. I think on the next one I will try covering it in carbon fiber.

Let me know your thoughts.

Nice snug fit

Came out Sweet!

Ben it is awesome and I am so glad you are taking your stuff to this level

Congrats and keep on killing it buddy :)

Very nice, Ben. This makes for a really good looking, solid, and complete package. You're definitely going to have to continue along this line. Mike

Nice!

Maybe Joe can talk you into a habaki while he is at it!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Ben it is awesome and I am so glad you are taking your stuff to this level

Congrats and keep on killing it buddy :)

Thanks Joe. Can't wait to see your review on David' tanto. I'll have to get one to you for a video soon. :thumbup:

Nice!

Maybe Joe can talk you into a habaki while he is at it!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Thanks. ;) I suppose I should do another habaki now. Stay tuned.

Very nice, Ben. This makes for a really good looking, solid, and complete package. You're definitely going to have to continue along this line. Mike

That is Clean... I REALLY like that!!!

Came out Sweet!

Thanks so much guys!

Ben,

Outstanding work! You raise the bar higher with each new project.

Thanks for the pics!

John

Great job my friend.....makes for a great addition to any already great blade-form. :cool:

Thanks very much everyone.
I have some carbon fiber fabric on order for the next one. :cool:

whoa... that is slick. I really like the knife itself (fittings are just right for it). The saya is also great. I like using epoxy to set a wrap around a sheath to fix a scabbard slide, too.

3b720052-03cc-43b2-a065-1244a70fb0d2.png

Back