3V vs. 20CV

3V for insane toughness and above D2 level of edge retention.
Since 20CV has almost the same composition as M390(which I have in the 4.1), which should have ridicules edge holding and way above average toughness.

I've also made a 3.5 purchase, personally went with 20CV, since I won't be using the knife as a ice pick or as a train break or throwing it for shiz and giggles, the shock absorbing of 3V won't come into play. So I went with 20CVs higher edge retention.

Both should have a edge of 3~5 microns if memory server (please correct me if I'm wrong).

On a knife that size 3V honestly makes no sense. I would go 20CV all day on a smaller knife its plenty tough and holds an edge for what seems like a lifetime.

On a knife that size 3V honestly makes no sense. I would go 20CV all day on a smaller knife its plenty tough and holds an edge for what seems like a lifetime.

That's my conclusion about Spyderco Tuff as well. Not sure if anyone can enlighten me on the need for toughness on a small blade.

Not a practical increase in toughness unless you really hammer on it. Wear resistance and corrosion resistance favor 20CV. Its a great steel.

That's my conclusion about Spyderco Tuff as well. Not sure if anyone can enlighten me on the need for toughness on a small blade.

The Spyderco Tuff was designed to an offering for the "hard use folder market", which is currently dominated by Rick Hinderer, Strider, ZT, and some other lesser known manufacturers. It offers the staple Titanium integral lock, G10 scale, and a steel recognized for it's overall toughness and edge retention. It's not about the blade, about the specific market. That is pretty much all ther is to it. I guess Spyderco just wanted to throw something out there to those fans that wanted something in that arena and it works pretty well. Spyderco is primarily recognized for their innovation, introducing new steels and locks, making knives that fit various legalities across the world, and for creating knives with well thought out ergonomics and blade geometries. It's all about the cut.

Back