4.1 thread

I promise to rub it in your (virtual) face if it gets here before June ends :p

(please read the above as a friendly joke intended by the author, who, it should be noted, is quite envious of the fact that the target of his comment ALREADY HAS his own version of the knife in question, which the author does not)
Dude you are gonna be very pleased when it does arrive this knife is ( virtually) perfect . I forgot all about the long wait

Dude you are gonna be very pleased when it does arrive this knife is ( virtually) perfect . I forgot all about the long wait
It's funny how that works. Waiting 6 months for a blade that was suppose to take 45 days to ship from what I recall was excruciating. After receiving it we forget about the wait because of the quality of the blade we receive. Then I swore I wasn't going to buy direct for them for awhile until they are able to ship within the timeframes they state. Next thing I know they had 4.7s "Sharp and Ready to Ship" as their last releases of that model were done. I of course had to order one and it only took about a week and a half to get my knife..lol Survive definitely isn't perfect and has their issues that hopefully they'll grow out of, but there's a reason I own 18 of their blades. I'd like to pickup a few more of the newer models as they're released, but I'll wait for the secondary markets or a "Sharp and Ready to Ship" sale.

You had to be right on top of their webpage to get what you wanted out of that 4.7 closeout sale.
Things were changing pretty quickly that day.

It's funny how that works. Waiting 6 months for a blade that was suppose to take 45 days to ship from what I recall was excruciating. After receiving it we forget about the wait because of the quality of the blade we receive. Then I swore I wasn't going to buy direct for them for awhile until they are able to ship within the timeframes they state. Next thing I know they had 4.7s "Sharp and Ready to Ship" as their last releases of that model were done. I of course had to order one and it only took about a week and a half to get my knife..lol Survive definitely isn't perfect and has their issues that hopefully they'll grow out of, but there's a reason I own 18 of their blades. I'd like to pickup a few more of the newer models as they're released, but I'll wait for the secondary markets or a "Sharp and Ready to Ship" sale.
18 !!! Wow I bought the 4.7 first and was so pleased with it I ended up getting the 2.7 and then just recently got the 4.1. The first two came quick so the wait was unexpected but you are right the craftsmanship that goes into sk is like no other. I have 2 on my list as of now , the sk4 and the 3.5 ,both of which will be purchased on the 2ndary market

You had to be right on top of their webpage to get what you wanted out of that 4.7 closeout sale.
Things were changing pretty quickly that day.
They definitely went fast. I had to adjust my handles a few times because they would sell out before I could check out. The first round actually went relatively slow because I think people were hesitant due to not believing it was possible to receive a knife direct from Survive within 2 weeks. Once those guys started posting their deliveries, than the second round went fast.

18 !!! Wow I bought the 4.7 first and was so pleased with it I ended up getting the 2.7 and then just recently got the 4.1. The first two came quick so the wait was unexpected but you are right the craftsmanship that goes into sk is like no other. I have 2 on my list as of now , the sk4 and the 3.5 ,both of which will be purchased on the 2ndary market
It's addicting. I started with a 4.1 off the secondary market maybe 3 years ago. I don't have a 2.7 or a 10, but have at least one of all of the other models. I'm interested in the new spec 3.5 and 4.5 when they come out. I'm not much of a large blade guy. I don't even carry my 6 or my 7/7s.

I want the new 4.1 so much that I am almost tempted to trade my cpk FK for one...almost :eek::D

I like my CPK FK's. Personally, I wouldn't trade for a 4.1. Both are awesome designs. I think you'd regret it because Nathan isn't making them anymore or at least for awhile. There should be some 4.1's popping up on the secondary markets soon.

I like my CPK FK's. Personally, I wouldn't trade for a 4.1. Both are awesome designs. I think you'd regret it because Nathan isn't making them anymore or at least for awhile. There should be some 4.1's popping up on the secondary markets soon.
I would probably trade due to the fact that he stopped making them but in a choose one scenario I would go w the 4.1 . I liked how much of an all around knife the fk is. But now that I see how the 4.1 slices , it has all the attributes of a perfect knife .jmho

Haha good points guys. FK is definitely staying. Possibly my favourite knife i have ever held. But i think the 4.1 could compete for 1st place...

Does anyone know when the 4.1 1sts will be available for regular sale?

And if anyone feels like taking this thread in this direction...what are your opinions and choices of steel in something this size? 20cv or D3v?

Haha good points guys. FK is definitely staying. Possibly my favourite knife i have ever held. But i think the 4.1 could compete for 1st place...

And if anyone feels like taking this thread in this direction...what are your opinions and choices of steel in something this size? 20cv or D3v?
I had originally ordered the 20cv but after I found out that they were going w the delta 3v I contacted jordan and changed my order. Personally I think that 4 inches is the size where you could justify either steel ,they are both great choices. I am not sure that you (need) the toughness of the 3v w this size but I'm sure it can't hurt. The 2.7 is actually my first knife I ever purchased w 20cv and it has been fantastic to say the least

That feeling when the 4.1 arrives at the post office at the exact same time you get on a train to leave town for a long weekend...

... but the missy probably will have time to pick it up on the way after work.

Like sfrigon, I first thought I wanted this sized knife to be stainless. After I got a feel for the OLD style of 3v I realized it was way easier to care for than I first thought. Once I saw Guy's corrosion test of the pre-delta heat treat with peened finish then I knew I needed 3v. Since I've given up my pirating lifestyle and I don't salt water fish and I don't live in a rainforest, it doesn't even feel like a compromise to gain the benefits of delta 3v.

Both of my 4.1's are in D3V because I have the 3.5, 4.7, and 5.1's in 20cv and 3v. I prefer 3v over the 20cv for my particular needs when it comes to the 4.1. Since I live in California I use mine in the Sierra's quite a bit, along with the coast in salt water conditions, and the deserts. It's not very humid out here, so I don't have to worry about constant moisture issues with my blades. The D3V heat treat is much more corrosion resistant than the first generation 3v. Both 3v and D3V also seem much easier to sharpen in the field compared to 20cv. That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with either steel, but I'm leaning towards 3v and D3V as my favorite all around steel. If I lived in Florida, Georgia, Costa Rica, or other more humid environments, than I may lean more towards 20cv.

Nope, nobody knows.
It will be after they fill all the orders, which will probably be a while yet.
I'm hoping that it won't take as long as it has in the past, but we'll have to wait and see on that.
For example, they've been shipping the 2.7 since last summer and they have not reached the point of selling the remaining firsts yet.

Nope, nobody knows.
It will be after they fill all the orders, which will probably be a while yet.
I'm hoping that it won't take as long as it has in the past, but we'll have to wait and see on that.
For example, they've been shipping the 2.7 since last summer and they have not reached the point of selling the remaining firsts yet.
I think there's only a handful of 1st 4.1's that have been shipped for the pre orders. They're catching up on the October Factory 2nd orders and still have the January ones. I agree it'll be awhile before they'll post for regular sale. When they do list they'll probably sell really fast like the remaining 4.7's.

Are all of the Starter 4.1's done and shipped already? I bought one from a guy months ago and I was supposed to be receiving it as soon as he did. I haven't heard from him in a while. Are the 20CV's all done and out?

Are all of the Starter 4.1's done and shipped already? I bought one from a guy months ago and I was supposed to be receiving it as soon as he did. I haven't heard from him in a while. Are the 20CV's all done and out?
I've only heard of 1 or 2 starter orders going out. The rest I've seen are seconds.

Back