4.1 thread

Out of the 4.7 and 4.1, which do you prefer in hand?

I haven't been able to sneak away to get any actual use on the 4.1 yet, but have been doing a lot of handling both of them for balance and feel. I think I'm going to be in the minority from what I've heard others say here but, for me, I think the 4.7 is going to win out. The handle on that sucker just happens to fit me perfectly, even though I would prefer the blade profile of the 4.1.

#firstworldproblems :D

This just showed up along with a 7.7. More pics later, I want to get back outside with it.

Bw4z5X0.jpg

Snapped a quick shot of some comparably sized knives for general size reference. From top to bottom is a 4.7, new spec 4.1, old spec 4.1, Swamp Rat RMD, Battle Horse Smoky Mountain Razor, ESEE Laser Strike, BK 16, and Mora Companion.

g8mgGot.jpg

grogimus grogimus YOU HAVE A COATED SABER BK16?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Anyways, great line up of blades. Wow! Thanks for posting that pic.

What kind of wood did you make the try stick from? Well done, but wood looks gnarly.

grogimus grogimus YOU HAVE A COATED SABER BK16?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Anyways, great line up of blades. Wow! Thanks for posting that pic.

What kind of wood did you make the try stick from? Well done, but wood looks gnarly.

I do indeed :D I don't know what the fuss is about though because I haven't been able to make myself use it, I have a much more beat up FFG BK16 that I've used quite a bit.

The wood is apricot, and it had about 9 million branches on it so you can imagine how fun it is to cut on.

I do indeed :D I don't know what the fuss is about though because I haven't been able to make myself use it, I have a much more beat up FFG BK16 that I've used quite a bit.

The wood is apricot, and it had about 9 million branches on it so you can imagine how fun it is to cut on.
So cool! I didn't have my FFG 16 all that long before I got a GSO 3.5 and 5, so it didn't get too much dedicated use, but I do like using it. Solid performer. With that said, if you ever decide to thin your herd, I'd humbly request a heads up before off loading that saber 16 :D

Great threads, my man. Glad to see you putting your new toys to work!

Do any of you super cool Carothers-lovers have a new 4.1 and field knife to line up side by side, choil to choil????

Here are some more I found. This is all I have... I found the edge profile to be extremely similar, but a bit higher grind on the FK made for a slightly better slicer. I like the handle ergos just about equally. Quite honestly, I am probably NOT enough of an expert user to be able to articulate the differences between these two knives. Both are simply exceptional. Because they are (TO ME) so similar, I passed along the 4.1 and kept the FK and the 4.7.

ifPNc26l.jpg
2dCdGr4l.jpg

UOLcuZzl.jpg

TRfromMT TRfromMT thank you! I should have looked a little harder. I thought someone might have posted pics of those 2 knives, but for whatever reason I was thinking it was Hard Knocks and I couldn't find what I was looking for. Thanks again for the pics and rational!

Got my 4.1 out this weekend and did some more work with it. There's not really much to say about it, other than it's pretty much perfect. The 4.7 and CPK FK are my two favorite general use knives I own, the 4.7 isn't in any danger of getting knocked out of its spot just yet but I've also used it a ton more(and I own three, so part of me doesn't want another favorite). Realistically there's probably nothing the 4.7 can do that the 4.1 can't do in a slightly smaller package. The blade length isn't significant enough for a big difference in the size of wood they can baton down, the 4.1 seems every bit as comfortable as the 4.7 to use, the 4.1 isn't quite as tall .. as I type this out I feel like I'm talking the 4.1 into taking over for the 4.7 for me so I'll stop and get to the pics.

It broke down and shaved up some birch about as easily as you could hope for. I'm no fuzzstick masta but I didn't have any problems getting the curls whatever size I wanted, the biggest problem I had was not slicing through the fuzz bundle so I could keep them together.
x84oxpn.jpg

I used the 4.1 to bust down the birch to get a fire started then chunked up some apricot with the chainsaw and split it with this Husqvarna. It was too hot and muggy to be bushcrafty and use a hand saw. Or I was too much a pansy, take your pick.
qke43Qh.jpg

Had this going just as the moon started to come up spectacularly big and orange on the horizon.
bVKDSrP.jpg

As hot as it still was this silly pooch is just as entranced with a fire as I am. The lighting was crap obviously but the firelight made for some cool highlights I thought. Or more likely I think any picture Gypsy is in must be flat out awesome.
G49ANSD.jpg

Nothing to do with a 4.1 but dad and I took out the kayaks the next day on a small local lake. The kayaks are about as cheap as you can get while still expecting to remain afloat but they're a blast. I think the paddle I was using cost almost as much as the kayak.
btaPgBd.jpg

I should've let him use my hat, his head was crispy when we got back to the truck.
gyPBC7H.jpg

I know you're not supposed to pick up baby birds but this one was doing little hopping flying runs in the middle of the road, that seemed like a bad place for it to be. I couldn't get it in my hat so this was the best I could do. It's some kind of wren or finch I think. I only know that because this guy's mama was dive bombing my ass and chirping away at me like a crazy person till I put him down. Sure, it looks really mad in this pic but I'm sure that's just baby bird speak for thanks.
z41njEY.jpg

Back at mom and dad's we grilled up some of these foil packs, a little different than last week. I really like cooking stuff in these foil packs, I didn't know if the asparagus would work as well as the corn on the cob used last week but it was pretty dang good. Boiling the potatoes enough to soften them a bit ahead of time really makes the difference. I think I'm going to try using hash browns next time for the potatoes, shouldn't have to precook anything.
o8xqHXS.jpg

Hi folks,
New to this forum, and yes i orderd a gso 4.1 new spec in july 2016..... Nothing recieved so far.(making me very very sad to see ppl are getting the f2's sooner then my order, happy for u guys tho)
I also own a old spec f2 4.1 took about 2 months to arive back in 2014. The wait for the knives is horrible but we have to deal with it i guess. The part that gets me most is not beeing able to work out a rough approximation on the delivery time and sk beeing so gdamn slow on posting any kind of info on social media. Anyways nice 2 meet you all have a great outdoor weekend ;)

Hi folks,
New to this forum, and yes i orderd a gso 4.1 new spec in july 2016..... Nothing recieved so far.(making me very very sad to see ppl are getting the f2's sooner then my order, happy for u guys tho)
I also own a old spec f2 4.1 took about 2 months to arive back in 2014. The wait for the knives is horrible but we have to deal with it i guess. The part that gets me most is not beeing able to work out a rough approximation on the delivery time and sk beeing so gdamn slow on posting any kind of info on social media. Anyways nice 2 meet you all have a great outdoor weekend ;)

Yes, good you stopped by!

The latest update gives reason to hope that the wait will be over (relatively) soon.

Let us know.

Some confusion in another thread lead me to review the "1st Friday Updates".
Survive states that they have been shipping 4.1 Preorders, but they never mentioned the Starter orders in the production schedule updates.
In the past they've posted when the Starters are finished before beginning to fill PreOrders, but not in this case.
Since it has been so long I just sort of assumed that the Starters were already completed.
(I apologize for any confusion that I caused.)
At least one person that regularly posts here has not received a 4.1 Starter order (yeah, I'm talking about you, Chiral :) ).
Rather than further bog down Silver's new WIP Wednesday I'm bumping this thread for the 4.1 Firsts.

Some confusion in another thread lead me to review the "1st Friday Updates".
Survive states that they have been shipping 4.1 Preorders, but they never mentioned the Starter orders in the production schedule updates.
In the past they've posted when the Starters are finished before beginning to fill PreOrders, but not in this case.
Since it has been so long I just sort of assumed that the Starters were already completed.
(I apologize for any confusion that I caused.)
At least one person that regularly posts here has not received a 4.1 Starter order (yeah, I'm talking about you, Chiral :) ).
Rather than further bog down Silver's new WIP Wednesday I'm bumping this thread for the 4.1 Firsts.

I wanted to post something similar from reading that posting as well ref. Starters/PreOrders. I assumed all the 4.1 2nd Gens that were received starting early in 2016 were Starters from early 2015 and that all Starters would have been fulfilled by now prior to any PreOrder fulfillment.

Also thx for this bump, maybe get some updates on the PreOrders to give me some sort of idea/outlook when the PreSales will one day be in the mix. Jordyn stated my PreSale blade is in the shop but I realize its way down in the pecking order.

Back