1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

4.7 vs new 4.1

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by OBX351, Jul 1, 2018.

1. OBX351

OBX351 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2014
    I spent some time with both this week, and call me capt obvious, but it really comes down to blade height and power. Both perform very well and are comfortable in a variety of grips. The new 4.1 might be more comfortable but not by enough to matter to me. This is a tough one!!

2. SavEdgeSurvive

SavEdgeSurvive Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2018
    I own 4.1s in old and new spec, one with the stonewashed and one has the peened, also an lucky enough to own a 4.7 in the cru forge and 5.1 new spec, pre delta . As far as aesthetics they both look awesome. As far as corrosion I do think the peened has better C/R. It is also easier to clean which is nice, and I dont know if you know, but the peened finish is also non reflective which is pretty cool.

Oyster likes this.
  3. XtianAus

XtianAus Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Thats great to hear! I am expecting my 4.1 hopefully sometime this year and hoping it is everything I am expecting to be. I have been in search for the perfect mid-size knife for a while.
    The only brand that has come close are CPK. Between the 4.1, CPK field knife and CPK Dek1, I am hoping to rest somewhere in those 3 choices in my quest for perfection :p

4. SavEdgeSurvive

Jun 27, 2018
    I was in the same boat. And once you get your hand on the Survive! You wont look back. I think Guy damn near perfected his blades. They are work horses. Scales are amazing in the hand, with hard use I've yet to get any hot spots. And from the looks of it, he is now sending out 4.1s and 7/7s so I think you will have it shortly.

Oyster and XtianAus like this.
  5. SavEdgeSurvive

Jun 27, 2018
    The only non 3v I have is the 4.7 and that one is awesome. I use it a lot. I haven't had the chance to get my hands on any in 20cv yet, and people tell me I should because of the climate here in MN, but I take really good care of my blades after use, so it doesn't worry me.

Oyster likes this.
  6. OBX351

OBX351 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2014
    I have yet to take any of my new S!K knives into the field but I'll do one better and take one out with me on my boat in brackish water over the next few weekends. However the new finish is supposed to give the D3V more protection from corrosion. I will add that the new finish doesn't drag like most other finished blades.

SavEdgeSurvive and Oyster like this.