4" kwaiken in CPM-Magnacut and Koa

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
I haven't made too many of these of late. Really, the only time I decide to bust one out is when I'm struggling with a detail on another project. The 'muscle memory' of this profile is strong enough that I don't really need to think much about it when I'm making one, and this can help me keep busy and maybe mentally work through problem I face on the 'real' project. That's how this one was made, but it was also a great excuse to make one out of the new alloy "CPM-Magnacut" from "KnifeSteelNerds" Larrin Larrin , Niagara Specialty Metals nsm nsm and Crucible Steel.

The 4" blade is .160" thick, and features both a fully tapered and skeletonized tang under the stabilized curly koa scales and resin-soaked tsukaito. Ground to 'zero' before I applied a small sharpening bevel (I hate sharpening true zero ground blades, and much prefer a small bevel - just faster to sharpen or touch up when it needs it, for me).

Gregory_210430-X3.jpg

This one also features a 'scout-style' carry sheath made by my bride. She seems to be enjoying the heck out of leatherwork, which is great for me, as I despise it. 😬

Gregory_210430B-X3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Looks nice. Saw this on coops ig page this morning. Great knife and Great photo!

nice work, Matt. Also, it is cool to make a known entity with the new steel to get a feel for it. I want to ask about a hundred questions about it, but I will take my time. I have done my reading, of course. Getting the bride to work on sheaths is a good trick. I tried, but it failed. Oh well... you are a better salesman than me :). carry on...

nice work, Matt. Also, it is cool to make a known entity with the new steel to get a feel for it. I want to ask about a hundred questions about it, but I will take my time. I have done my reading, of course. Getting the bride to work on sheaths is a good trick. I tried, but it failed. Oh well... you are a better salesman than me :). carry on...
Thanks, buddy. No work on my end to get her to work with leather - she wanted to! It’s just dominoed from there. 🙃

Back