4 Max Scout

The Spartan landed today. This is one honkin' big blade, and well-worth the $60 dollar entry-fee. It came wickedly-sharp from the factory. I barely brushed my knuckle against the edge, and the mighty Spartan drew blood. :D Size-wise its on a par with the Scout. The grips are about an 1/8" bigger than the Scout, and seems to carry a shade lighter.

dAY2lD9h.jpg

I bet you can throw this thing through a sheetrock wall.Its a sherman tank. Why spend 1000.00 on a crusader forge when you can get this for 1/10th the price? And its much more ergonomic too. I was in the woods in Tenessee with mine,nothing could stand in its way.All the cutting i did and the blade was still just about factory sharp. A few swipes on a ceramic it was back to factory.

Both razorburn, and goldie are correct. This knife punches way-above its weight-class. I've shown this model to my blade-packing friends, and they were stunned by the heft, and quality this tool exudes. I think that Cold Steel got everything right. I'm wondering what Thompson, and Demko will come-up-with next? Can you say, a production-version of the AD-20?

FnL3iHph.jpg

While the AD-10 is still my favorite, the 4-Max certainly makes a statement. For the price of the 4-Max Scout I can comfortably carry and use that statement as the tool that it was designed to be with less concern of what s likely the greatest threat to any folder ... loss.

When I look back at what I EDC and what gets pocket time contra to knife drawer time, Cold Steel has gone from an also ran to ruling the roost with me. I was always turned off by their goofy commercials but as I tried one, then another and then more ... I cannot avoid appreciating the value and performance of Cold Steel knives. - the AD-10 and the 4-Max (to include the Scout) being pinnacles of both.

So I fixed the almost chisel edge on my 4max scout, and the heel portion of blade was ground a little enthusiastically, to say the least! Not a problem, just won't sharpen out the factory grind there for a while. However I did get the edge centered, bevels even and maybe a little lower angle than factory, but I didn't want to go too crazy on a knife I may whack on tree branches!

Super sharp, took it to the spyderco medium stone after coarse and extra fine diamond, and it will slice paper towel cleanly and take hair off my arm with ease. Did some shaving of wood sticks out in the yard and no problems, still stupid sharp afterwards although I didn't do a whole lot (kid was jumping on the trampoline so I had to watch him too!)

Enjoying this 4max more and more. Still amazed at how easy it is to carry, and how comfortable it is to use. Demko knows his stuff!

Hey, Anyone temped to add a sharpening notch on their Scout.

I'm just saying it just doesn't look kinda right.

I've just received my 4 Max Scout, but I've noticed there is some 'play' in the lock bar. It seems that the fit of the cross pin is a bit slack and it allows some 'up and down' play with the lock bar. It has some travel as the slack is taken up, then kicks in to lift and unlock the blade.
Anyone have the same or should I be returning this for exchange? @Cold Steel Knives

At 'rest' the lock bar sits just above the scales.
dbQdSS.jpg

Initial 'slack' taken up, bar has dropped a bit before the front starts lifting.
dbQfDu.jpg

Last edited:
Additionally, should the lock bar spring be wider or are they all the same as this?
dm33E7.jpg

I've just received my 4 Max Scout, but I've noticed there is some 'play' in the lock bar. It seems that the fit of the cross pin is a bit slack and it allows some 'up and down' play with the lock bar. It has some travel as the slack is taken up, then kicks in to lift and unlock the blade.
Anyone have the same or should I be returning this for exchange? @Cold Steel Knives

At 'rest' the lock bar sits just above the scales.
dbQdSS.jpg

Initial 'slack' taken up, bar has dropped a bit before the front starts lifting.
dbQfDu.jpg

I don't quite understand what you mean regarding the slack, but the lockbar resting slightly proud and the width are both normal based on what I can find on our available on hand models.

I don't quite understand what you mean regarding the slack, but the lockbar resting slightly proud and the width are both normal based on what I can find on our available on hand models.
Thanks for replying, what I'm trying to explain reference the slack, is that it feels like the hole for the pin that is the pivot for the lockbar is larger by than the pin. This, to me, feels like when you push down on the bar to unlock the blade, there is maybe a 1mm range of movement before the lock begins to lift at the front. Don't get me wrong, once locked there is zero play and the lock is rock solid. Just feels a bit spongy on the initial part when you unlock it.

I believe the reference is to the pin which the lock bar rides on, which is not a precision fit. If I'm reading correctly yes that is the same as mine, and while I've not taken all of my CS knives apart the ones I have are all the same in this respect.

I believe the reference is to the pin which the lock bar rides on, which is not a precision fit. If I'm reading correctly yes that is the same as mine, and while I've not taken all of my CS knives apart the ones I have are all the same in this respect.
Cool, it's good get some answers on this.

Back