4-Max?! USA Made, CPM-20CV, Cold Steel?! This can't be happening!

G-10 is tougher than you think. The same "concerns" about handle strength were voiced back in the day when the Spyderco Military came out with an all G-10 handle. (And no liners) They were brick sh!thouses. I think the current knives with the tri-ad are plenty tough, and well deserving of it's application.
So the 4 Max is HEAVIER. Ok. Is it more deserving of the tri-ad? I personally don't think so. I think the comparison is way off.
That being said, I'm very much looking forward to at least handling a 4 max, and if it speaks to me, owning one.

Last edited:
G-10 is tougher than you think. The same "concerns" were voiced back in the day when the Spyderco Military came out with an all G-10 handle. They were brick sh!thouses. I think the current knives with the tri-ad are plenty tough, and well deserving of it's application.
So the 4 Max is HEAVIER. Ok. Is it more deserving of the tri-ad? I personally don't think so. I think the comparison is way off.

Whoa lol, never once did I doubt the strenth of G10. I love G10. I merely stated fact that it is very light as an unlined handle. I was not insinuating that the lock up will ever cause the G10 to explode lol. I'll agree the term "deserve" was ill chosen by the original poster. Though we deserve every knife to sport the Tri-Ad lock, for the sake of our fingers. The barbie jeep comment refers only to the light weight of some of the knives.

Original poster, step in any time, I grow tired of defending you!

Sure it's light, but it's strong. It's more like putting that hemi into a sleek sportscar with a strong, light weight carbon fiber body instead of a hummer. They are both strong, but one weighs more. The insinuation that knives like the Recon 1, AK-47, etc aren't tough or deserving of the tri-ad lock just because they weigh less than the 4 max is ridiculous.
You didn't make the statement, and I saw that you in fact had the same points I did in one of your posts.

Last edited:
Yes, in my original, when I misconstrued his true meaning as you are. I had thought "Barbie Jeep" alluded to chintzy and poor quality, as you do now, when it really only alluded to light weight. In my followup I corrected myself and set record straight. Though he could have used "Pow-Pow Power Wheels" instead of a something similar associated with friggin Barbie. Your comparison is much more dead on balls accurate than his, I'll say that. Especially in regards to their new DLC'd XHP blades, very sleek.

You're familiar with the YouTuber, Cutlerylover? He once stabbed a tree deeply with a Recon 1 and pried until the blade snapped. The steel actually snapped before the unlined G10, which didn't budge or warp under the torsion. It was on that day I fell in love with G10. Do not attempt to lecture me on its strength.

I think we all can agree the 4 MAX is an overbuilt tank... one such overbuilt tank I shall procure. Thicker blades, like those on the MAX, only increase the Tri-Ad's strength.

Cold Steel is... indisposed... for the week. There is no scoop, no raisins to add to your bran flakes...

All that can be done now is to watch the video I posted and salivate.

No jimping? Eh, not interested. Should of gone with a stone washed blade too.

We went over this already. He's not knocking the quality. The newer CS folders don't have liners and are much lighter than they were when they used to overbuild their Ultra/AXIS Lock models. The lockup of the Tri-Ad is so strong it seems unfitting for such a light product. Its literally like an earthquake to the knife when it snaps open on the all G10 handles.
To me, a strong lock on a light knife is the best combination. Would the lighter CS knives be better w. a weaker lock?
At 9 oz, the 4 max may be too heavy for me to buy.

Well in the vid I posted earlier the guy said its gonna be even better when theyre done with it. Though I think its pretty much done. Even without the extra jimping its a win. Its like a getting a Demko custom for 1/3 of the cost and in 2 days instead of 2 years (roughly). BTW 2 days is how long it took my AK47 field to get to my house. KC shipped it out within the hour of my ordering. Love that meme btw, so much you can do with it.

Essentially what I see as a Demko "midtech" I can't wait. I hope fit and finish is up to par but with this the long wait I have the feeling it will be amazing.

I saw someone at instagram selling Demko custom AD10 which is much smaller for $1500+ @_@
I don't think spending the extra $1200 for the custom (instead of buying production 4 Max) will buy you much more fit & finish, so the price is really worth it, considering how much Strider or Hinderer or even ZT is charging for their Mid-Tech. If you really use your knife, you would not really worry about the extra 0.001inch of tolerance difference.

Regarding fit and finish, i think Ernest Emerson made a good point here:
http://emersonknives.com/emerson-blog-project/2943/

Btw, considering how long you need to wait for a custom Demko, the production 4 Max is worth wait. I would rather company do things right than releasing subpar product. Many of you have probably forgotten that the new 2011 Voyager was actually announced in 2010(or earlier), but was delayed due to some production quality issues. At the end no body talked about it because the Voyager is a good product.

I can appreciate what Ernest wrote, never seen that before. Pretty cool actually. As much as I want a quality peice my inner child is screaming; praying its not next year! :D

Side note: I used to really want the customs for multiple knives but when production such as this starting being top notch deigns and materials I can't help but lose interesting in them.

I saw someone at instagram selling Demko custom AD10 which is much smaller for $1500+ @_@
I don't think spending the extra $1200 for the custom (instead of buying production 4 Max) will buy you much more fit & finish, so the price is really worth it, considering how much Strider or Hinderer or even ZT is charging for their Mid-Tech. If you really use your knife, you would not really worry about the extra 0.001inch of tolerance difference.

Regarding fit and finish, i think Ernest Emerson made a good point here:
http://emersonknives.com/emerson-blog-project/2943/

Btw, considering how long you need to wait for a custom Demko, the production 4 Max is worth wait. I would rather company do things right than releasing subpar product. Many of you have probably forgotten that the new 2011 Voyager was actually announced in 2010(or earlier), but was delayed due to some production quality issues. At the end no body talked about it because the Voyager is a good product.

Pretty much this. I got this one fool on the CS/CRKT Lawsuit thread who cancelled his preorder on the 4MAX because of the action Cold Steel is taking against CRKT.
4-Max preorder @ KC...cancelled :(
More for us actual knife guys.

Last edited:
Well in the vid I posted earlier the guy said its gonna be even better when theyre done with it. Though I think its pretty much done. Even without the extra jimping its a win. Its like a getting a Demko custom for 1/3 of the cost and in 2 days instead of 2 years (roughly). BTW 2 days is how long it took my AK47 field to get to my house. KC shipped it out within the hour of my ordering. Love that meme btw, so much you can do with it.

Yeah, I'll still buy it, but I'd much prefer a stonewash blade and jimping on the lower spine.

No, the 4 Max isn't the first product from Cold Steel made in the US... They were made by Camillus for years and Ontario knives if I'm not mistaken...
The MSRP is the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price .. not the Dealers price :)....Not many would be sold if that were the price ;) IMO....
Although the knife looks impressive to me.....The steel may be the new and improved, but all my other CS blades have never failed me so It would be tough to convince me that it's any better...

No, the 4 Max isn't the first product from Cold Steel made in the US... They were made by Camillus for years and Ontario knives if I'm not mistaken...
The MSRP is the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price .. not the Dealers price :)....Not many would be sold if that were the price ;) IMO....
Although the knife looks impressive to me.....The steel may be the new and improved, but all my other CS blades have never failed me so It would be tough to convince me that it's any better...

I agree. This one has that "super knife" factor. Designed for customers looking for that "custom knife" feel. Instead of shelling out for an overbuilt custom, you can get this in a hundredth of a decimal time.

As requested, here are some side-by-side pics of the 4-MAX alongside the Ultimate Hunter and the American Lawman
The 4-MAX has not been released yet, these photos show the prototype.

4Max_comp_3.jpg

As you can see, it's a beast!
Thanks

Last edited:
Back